Opinion Loan Topine to Melbourne

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow. He has been spoken of as so focused and his leadership skills recognised by Freddy in rep teams Somethings up if this is correct :(

Led the team song so they must have plans for him? Why give him that honour if he is on the outer with Baz?

Club needs to sort this situation bc he is the right type of junior to bring along.
He is very sociable.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. He has been spoken of as so focused and his leadership skills recognised by Freddy in rep teams Somethings up if this is correct :(

Led the team song so they must have plans for him? Why give him that honour if he is on the outer with Baz?

Club needs to sort this situation bc he is the right type of junior to bring along.
like i said, i dont know any more than i've been told but apparently thats the reason. hes got great potential so hopefully its just some sort of misunderstanding

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know he’s going to be getting that much NRL game time in Melbourne? He would probably end up playing more the Falcons in QLD Cup.
In the the hypothetical scenario where they go for it, it would be because they want him to play first grade. Bellamy has already said they will be bringing a player in the only question is who? Buzz Rothfield said on NRL360 last night he didn’t think Sims would move as he could be playing first grade this week.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it weird that we have a 20 year old that doesn't make our 17 leading the team song? Lol.
Yes - seems odd that Topine couldnt get any minutes in trial games, played well in reggies on the weekend, seems to feature in pr/ promotional stuff/.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes - seems odd that Topine couldnt get any minutes in trial games, played well in reggies on the weekend, seems to feature in pr/ promotional stuff/.
At this point I'm just convinced Trent has no interest in playing a small forward like Topine. Did he play edge or lock?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can you make a case for him playing FG atm though?
I can't.
I could, but I prefer him playing reserve grade for the time being because he has missed so much footy over the last couple of years. Him not getting a run during the trials was odd though.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've heard from a mate that Topine's only interested in partying and gets on the sauce regularly and baz isnt happy about it. thats why he didn't get a go in the trials. not sure how much truth is in that though
I've actually heard the opposite and that his commitment and effort is unquestionable which is why I cant understand why he isn't at least in the conversation for the squad.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I could, but I prefer him playing reserve grade for the time being because he has missed so much footy over the last couple of years. Him not getting a run during the trials was odd though.
Maybe the party rumours are true?.
Needs reggie's time yes and 6kgs or more of bulk idk does he replace Jacko next year or where does he even fit in the fg team in future? I don't see a spot for him next year really either?
I reckon(and it's only a hunch he has to prove himself this year)that Judda Turahui will go past him..taller at 187cm and already 104kgs..

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to rush Topine. He's 21 in August so still heaps of time ahead of him, and was rushed into first grade before he was ready.

Best let him find his preferred position in NSW Cup, and go from there.

Bloke has talent and some decent pace for his size, and I suspect might end up replacing someone like Waddell.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm just convinced Trent has no interest in playing a small forward like Topine. Did he play edge or lock?
Played left edge - made a couple of good runs, defended well - put on report for a crusher tackle - btw Wakeham had a very good game - if i was another club looking for a half id be enquiring about him rather than Flanagan

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Too much crossover between he and J.Jackson

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why loan him? He needs a full season in NSW cup

The clubs doing the right thing by him. He was doing the media etc post game, and led the team song. They are preparing him for life after football.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've actually heard the opposite and that his commitment and effort is unquestionable which is why I cant understand why he isn't at least in the conversation for the squad.
hopefully thats the case mate