Opinion Loan Topine to Melbourne

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few seasons back Melbourne & Wests loaned players out to each other and it was a raging success. Harry Grant was never getting many mins stuck behind Cam & Brandon Smith. It looks like Topine is in the same boat and will only fall further behind in the pecking order when RFM returns.
With Melbourne short on forwards I could see Topine playing the B Smith and gaining valuable experience in a winning culture.
It won’t happen but I’d love to see more moves like this in the NRL

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wish the Storm were never allowed to loan Grant. I think there's a good chance he doesn't extend his contract with the Storm back then if he wasn't allowed to be loaned out and get guaranteed game time...

It'd be good for Topine, I'd only let him go if he was to extend for 2-3 years before leaving. I'd be definitely playing him over someone like Waddell in our side tho.

I love how the club are using Topine for some of their marketing and I saw Topine doing a few interviews after the game with some of our other players. A bit like Cooper Johns from the Storm. I think Topine's a very good person to keep in/around the club.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not likely to happen at all but I'd be down for this, pretty inexperienced and it would be a big test for the kid, but might make him.

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few seasons back Melbourne & Wests loaned players out to each other and it was a raging success. Harry Grant was never getting many mins stuck behind Cam & Brandon Smith. It looks like Topine is in the same boat and will only fall further behind in the pecking order when RFM returns.
With Melbourne short on forwards I could see Topine playing the B Smith and gaining valuable experience in a winning culture.
It won’t happen but I’d love to see more moves like this in the NRL
No

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He just needs some extended playing time after missing so much football over the last few years. A year in NSW Cup with the occasional NRL game under the Dogs watch would be better than shipping him off to Melbourne.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He just needs some extended playing time after missing so much football over the last few years. A year in NSW Cup with the occasional NRL game under the Dogs watch would be better than shipping him off to Melbourne.
I don’t see how playing NSW Cup is better than playing NRL

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like Topine and hope he can work his way into the squad but I think people might to have accept that he's pretty far down the pecking order at the club at the moment.

Hopefully he can play well in to demand selection. I don't think Melbourne or any other club would be looking at him as a top 17 player right now.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've heard from a mate that Topine's only interested in partying and gets on the sauce regularly and baz isnt happy about it. thats why he didn't get a go in the trials. not sure how much truth is in that though

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Topine and hope he can work his way into the squad but I think people might to have accept that he's pretty far down the pecking order at the club at the moment.

Hopefully he can play well in to demand selection. I don't think Melbourne or any other club would be looking at him as a top 17 player right now.
Good summary - he did play well in NSW Cup on the weekend (was put on report) - he wasnt given any fg trial time is a bit of a clue as to where he is atm. I believe he needs to play 13 - just lacks the size to be a running back row - but could develop into a ball playing middle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
i've heard from a mate that Topine's only interested in partying and gets on the sauce regularly and baz isnt happy about it. thats why he didn't get a go in the trials. not sure how much truth is in that though
Wow. He has been spoken of as so focused and his leadership skills recognised by Freddy in rep teams Somethings up if this is correct :(

Led the team song so they must have plans for him? Why give him that honour if he is on the outer with Baz?

Club needs to sort this situation bc he is the right type of junior to bring along.