Lewis has to go to 1st grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How Penrith played has nothing to do with it. The argument from others is that he is too small and not ready to face FG players. He faced a full strength FG team that night and came out on top. I do not buy into the "too small" argument as there is a list as long as my arm of players who have not only done it but have been the best in our game. I'm not saying he is one of those players, just that he's worth a gamble in adding something to our team who is in desperate need of having someone creative to help out Foran. We are 1-5, I think it can't hurt to roll the dice on this. He get's hurt than we are no different to where we are now.
Read my reply to OP,three posts up,you'll see how he compares to opposite centers (he's a lightweight bro,a midget compared to most of the centers running around).Someone like Mitchell outweighs him by 16 kgs (that's 18% more body weight),Moga by 21 kgs (that's 24% more body weight),they'll run over the top of him and he'll get hurt.He had a shoulder injury last year.
And yes how Penrith played has a lot to do with it.It's a lot easier for the defense if the halves are not putting forwards through the gaps.A lot easier is they are not shifting play from 1 end to another,stretching the defense,something Penrith are famous for.If halves are not kicking,turning and disjointing the defensive line.If forwards like Tamou,Gillard,Cartwright,Yeo and Merrin are not running ball out from deep.Yeo smashed Hoppa for Penrith's 1st try,in that 3rd game and Hoppa outweighs Lewis by 9 kgs lol.
Our defense was not tested,so you can't use that game as a defensive measuring stick.
Ill illustrate it with a metaphor.If a boxer ain't hitting you on the chin,how do you know you don't have a glass jaw?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Read my reply to OP,three posts up,you'll see how he compares to opposite centers (he's a lightweight bro,a midget compared to most of the centers running around).Someone like Mitchell outweighs him by 16 kgs (that's 18% more body weight),Moga by 21 kgs (that's 24% more body weight),they'll run over the top of him and he'll get hurt.He had a shoulder injury last year.
And yes how Penrith played has a lot to do with it.It's a lot easier for the defense if the halves are not putting forwards through the gaps.A lot easier is they are not shifting play from 1 end to another,stretching the defense,something Penrith are famous for.If halves are not kicking,turning and disjointing the defensive line.If forwards like Tamou,Gillard,Cartwright,Yeo and Merrin are not running ball out from deep.Yeo smashed Hoppa for Penrith's 1st try,in that 3rd game and Hoppa outweighs Lewis by 9 kgs lol.
Our defense was not tested,so you can't use that game as a defensive measuring stick.
Ill illustrate it with a metaphor.If a boxer ain't hitting you on the chin,how do you know you don't have a glass jaw?
Yeah good response. I'm not thinking centre for him, I'm thinking 5/8 if not the #7. I think Foran needs to take the 5/8 spot ideally. If we can find a good young half in Lewis to relieve that front line smashing he is getting he will live longer and get more time to really weave some magic. Keep JMK on the bench to keep his confidence up and take a punt on Lewis's pedigree.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand and can relate to your support for Lewis,you saw something in him that excites you.But his current weight of 88kgs (heaviest he's been was pre season at 90kgs) would make him the lightest center in 1st grade.

The closest centers at 90-92 kgs are:
Roberts 90kgs (Broncos),Croker 92kgs (Raiders) and Beale 92 kgs (Warriors),but all 3 have loads of 1st grade experience.

Now the middle weights that outweigh him by 7-8 kgs :
Aitken 95 kgs (Saints),Kelly 95 kgs (Manly),Whare 96 kgs (Penrith) and Jennings 96 kgs (Parra).

Now the heavyweights that outweigh him by 12-16 kgs:
Chambers 100kgs (Storm),Dugan 102 kgs (Sharks),Hurrell 104 kgs (Titans) and Mitchell 104 kgs (Easts).

Now the super heavyweights that outweigh him by 17-21 kgs:
Linnett 105 kgs (Cows),Inglis 105 kgs (Souths) Suli 106 kgs (Tigers) and Moga 109 kgs (Newcastle).

I hope this clarifies what most people are trying to tell you,by saying he's too small for a 1st grade center,atm.
I've never seen him at hooker and I don't know if his shoulders can take the riggers of that position.Hard to say whether he'll be a good impact or back bench player.
His best chance is at 5/8 if JMK is relegated back to ISP or replaces Lichaa,but Frawley and Cleeland are ahead of him in the halves,in ISP and 1st grade atm.
Appreciate your reply. If weight is one of his problems I’m sure than can be rectified with the right diet.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Appreciate your reply. If weight is one of his problems I’m sure than can be rectified with the right diet.
Exactly what his saying, no one knocking the kid but needs to build up first before fg

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he doesn't get a shot this year some where in our squad.
We can kiss goodbye

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lewis isnt FG material and never Will be... end of story

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How has olive been going? Apparently he is very quick!

Thought he was a winger but been playing in the centres
Don't know.
But I think time to give Montoya a spell in ISP.
But I think Holland is next in the pecking order as far as the coach is concerned.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

He's big, fast, has good footwork and defends well... Ticks all the boxes for me

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't know.
But I think time to give Montoya a spell in ISP.
But I think Holland is next in the pecking order as far as the coach is concerned.

Please not Holland I don’t see any potential in this player at all.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Please not Holland I don’t see any potential in this player at all.
Going by the team selections last few weeks, Holland seems to be the next outside back to come in.
Wouldn't you say?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Going by the team selections last few weeks, Holland seems to be the next outside back to come in.
Wouldn't you say?

Yes I would say that, BUT I’m hoping it doesn’t pan out this way because I know although he may give his all he isn’t an above average first grader.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Getting faster backs is unnecessary and not the problem. We take off 3 tries from kicks last match we may have won. We need to get better at defending kicks. Its been an issue in a number of games and teams will exploit it.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is only my second post and its about lewis again. I said last week this guy can tackle and has great defence. He should be put in to replace hopa to plug up all those tries we are leaking on the right side. If he was there at the begining of the season we may be 5wins up . Excellent defensive player his attack will come in time. Play him in the centres . He made 10% of the teams tackles in isp and he can tackle all day. Great to watch isp congrats to the guys.
Lol surely you are kidding about us winning 5 games if we had Lewis in....

I’d like to see him get a run also but no way is just putting Lewis in going to change our results or form.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand and can relate to your support for Lewis,you saw something in him that excites you.But his current weight of 88kgs (heaviest he's been was pre season at 90kgs) would make him the lightest center in 1st grade.

The closest centers at 90-92 kgs are:
Roberts 90kgs (Broncos),Croker 92kgs (Raiders) and Beale 92 kgs (Warriors),but all 3 have loads of 1st grade experience.

Now the middle weights that outweigh him by 7-8 kgs :
Aitken 95 kgs (Saints),Kelly 95 kgs (Manly),Whare 96 kgs (Penrith) and Jennings 96 kgs (Parra).

Now the heavyweights that outweigh him by 12-16 kgs:
Chambers 100kgs (Storm),Dugan 102 kgs (Sharks),Hurrell 104 kgs (Titans) and Mitchell 104 kgs (Easts).

Now the super heavyweights that outweigh him by 17-21 kgs:
Linnett 105 kgs (Cows),Inglis 105 kgs (Souths) Suli 106 kgs (Tigers) and Moga 109 kgs (Newcastle).

I hope this clarifies what most people are trying to tell you,by saying he's too small for a 1st grade center,atm.
I've never seen him at hooker and I don't know if his shoulders can take the riggers of that position.Hard to say whether he'll be a good impact or back bench player.
His best chance is at 5/8 if JMK is relegated back to ISP or replaces Lichaa,but Frawley and Cleeland are ahead of him in the halves,in ISP and 1st grade atm.
Nailed it. A centre in the modern game needs to have the physique of a back tower but more agility & mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.