Lewis has to go to 1st grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would love for Lewis to have a crack anywhere in the starting 17 but I honestly think Pay doesn't rate him or is it just me?
I have a feeling it’s close . He was watching the game with first grade today Lewis was pretty good

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When u have a team that’s playing well,& a team that’s not,u have to make changes,unfortunately montoyas positional play and defence,has been shocking Hopoate defensively terrible,tualalo,&elliot really nothing footballers,been there 2 years and have gone backwards

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When u have a team that’s playing well,& a team that’s not,u have to make changes,unfortunately montoyas positional play and defence,has been shocking Hopoate defensively terrible,tualalo,&elliot really nothing footballers,been there 2 years and have gone backwards
Agree hoping he makes changes this week if he dosent, well expect another shocker

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I have a feeling it’s close . He was watching the game with first grade today Lewis was pretty good
Yeah I heard he was good in defence today too so thats a positive sign. Hopefully Pay plays him.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I heard he was good in defence today too so thats a positive sign. Hopefully Pay plays him.
He just needs a crack at it. He had the determination and hunger today. If he dosent get a crack then like to how he goes in Reserves next week

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is only my second post and its about lewis again. I said last week this guy can tackle and has great defence. He should be put in to replace hopa to plug up all those tries we are leaking on the right side. If he was there at the begining of the season we may be 5wins up . Excellent defensive player his attack will come in time. Play him in the centres . He made 10% of the teams tackles in isp and he can tackle all day. Great to watch isp congrats to the guys.
I suggest before you say "replace Hoppa to plug up all those tries we are leaking on the right side' take some time and look at some videos.Carefully analyze why those tries were scored when Hoppa played right center.Let's look at some facts.

Tries not scored on right: vs Storm: 4th (middle) & 6th (left).vs Easts: 2nd (left) & 4th (middle).vs Raiders: 1st & 2nd (left).

Tries scored on right:
vs Storm : 1st - Jackson misses Solomona;2nd - Montoya out jumped and spills the ball;3rd - Foran caught out of position,huge gap between Hoppa & JJ;5th - JJ's pass intercepted.
vs Easts : 1st - Foran's bomb spilled,picked up by Teddy passes to Cleary;3rd - JJ caught behind the play on 30m line,Easts rucks fast on 20m line,Teddy beats Foran on the inside;
5th - Foran caught too far in,3 on 2 overlap,Hoppa tackles ball runner,ball passed to Matterson.
vs Penrith : 1st - Isaah Yeo smashes through Hoppa; 2nd - slow defensive slide,Edwards creates 4 on 3 overlap,Hoppa committed on inside because Foran misses tackle,ball passed to Edwards.
3rd - Wallace shifts out,Hoppa tackles ball runner,ball to Mansour,who catches Montoya too far in and scores close to touch line.
vs Canberra: 3rd - Sezer chips over defense to Croker,brilliant;4th- Sezer bombs,Montoya caught too far in and can't contest the ball.

Looking at the tries Hoppa was involved in objectively,he's been directly responsible for the 1st try vs Penrith.Foran's poor positional play and missed tackle caused 3rd vs Storm,5th vs Easts & 2nd vs Penrith.Montoya's misjudged the 3rd vs Penrith.
It's a huge leap from ISP to 1st grade,especially for a player that cant even solidify his preferred position (half) in ISP.Olive and Holland would be in front of him for a 1st grade center spot.
If you are promoting Lewis,who is a half,based on his defense he should replace either Foran (which ain't happening) or JMK.
Lewis is young and is developing nicely,his time will come,the last thing the Dogs want is to kill his career before it even starts.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I suggest before you say "replace Hoppa to plug up all those tries we are leaking on the right side' take some time and look at some videos.Carefully analyze why those tries were scored when Hoppa played right center.Let's look at some facts.

Tries not scored on right: vs Storm: 4th (middle) & 6th (left).vs Easts: 2nd (left) & 4th (middle).vs Raiders: 1st & 2nd (left).

Tries scored on right:
vs Storm : 1st - Jackson misses Solomona;2nd - Montoya out jumped and spills the ball;3rd - Foran caught out of position,huge gap between Hoppa & JJ;5th - JJ's pass intercepted.
vs Easts : 1st - Foran's bomb spilled,picked up by Teddy passes to Cleary;3rd - JJ caught behind the play on 30m line,Easts rucks fast on 20m line,Teddy beats Foran on the inside;
5th - Foran caught too far in,3 on 2 overlap,Hoppa tackles ball runner,ball passed to Matterson.
vs Penrith : 1st - Isaah Yeo smashes through Hoppa; 2nd - slow defensive slide,Edwards creates 4 on 3 overlap,Hoppa committed on inside because Foran misses tackle,ball passed to Edwards.
3rd - Wallace shifts out,Hoppa tackles ball runner,ball to Mansour,who catches Montoya too far in and scores close to touch line.
vs Canberra: 3rd - Sezer chips over defense to Croker,brilliant;4th- Sezer bombs,Montoya caught too far in and can't contest the ball.

Looking at the tries Hoppa was involved in objectively,he's been directly responsible for the 1st try vs Penrith.Foran's poor positional play and missed tackle caused 3rd vs Storm,5th vs Easts & 2nd vs Penrith.Montoya's misjudged the 3rd vs Penrith.
It's a huge leap from ISP to 1st grade,especially for a player that cant even solidify his preferred position (half) in ISP.Olive and Holland would be in front of him for a 1st grade center spot.
If you are promoting Lewis,who is a half,based on his defense he should replace either Foran (which ain't happening) or JMK.
Lewis is young and is developing nicely,his time will come,the last thing the Dogs want is to kill his career before it even starts.
Appreciate your in depth reply.very impressive But I can only describe how I feel and to me I go to the games for firsts and can see where our weakness is. I am not disagreeing with your actual events but this guy Lewis is hungry for a go and that’s something we lack in this team. If he plays in the centre and just defends his side to me his saved tries. His hits today is something we lack in our team. Inspires others let alone us the supporters even if we lose to see guts like that I would pay for any day.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick I'd have olive before Lewis atm..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He’s off contract at the end of the season it will be interesting to see what happens with him for the rest of the year.
He will end up at the Broncos imo

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tries scored on right:

Great post! Very well analysed

Our goal line defence has been good. Most of the tries conceded have been long range & quite a few from poor decisions & errors while we’re deep in attack.
Hoppa is everyone’s whipping boy. JJ has been very poor defensively this year (captain’s curse) and Foran well we know his well publicised hamstrings & lower back issues which translates to no strength on contact in tackles. & Montoya has a lot of real estate to protect with our compressed defence. Of our middle was more aggressive & dominant the our outside right wouldn’t appear as bad. Playing Lewis at centre right now at NRL would ruin his confidence. He’s a half & only filling in we had Holland & Carr out today. Bergamin’s preferred position is fulllback.
Our ISP side looked good because we owned the middle. Ogden, Toomaga Tualau & Burr set the game up for our halves control the game. It should be noted that Wyong lost their star half Lachlan Lam during the warmup.

Last edited:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis was good, but his a fucking tooth pick at the moment...
Needs to fill out
Big difference between isp and nrl, biiig difference
No doubt his an up and comer but not at the expense of hoppa
Some people need to calm and look at games closely

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember turvey was off slight build he learnt how to tackle and even though his best were last line of defence tackles he was great to watch
Turvey played in a totally different era,when the half played inside the 5/8 and centers lined up on same side.
He played pre 1993 before 5m rule was changed to 8m (to 10m mid season).
He didn't stand in the defensive line.Back then halves stood behind the line to cover against darting runs by opposing halves,chip kicks and across field boot lace cover defense.He also directed the defensive line from behind.
We had animals like Battese,Folkes,Gillespie,Leis,Billy Johnstone,Kelly,Langmack,Robbo and Tunks in the middle to smash ***** into next week.Mortimer was too precious to sacrifice in defense,in an era where blood spilt.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well he played in that Reserves team that we fielded against the Panthers and had a blinder and didn't look out of depth.............

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Appreciate your in depth reply.very impressive But I can only describe how I feel and to me I go to the games for firsts and can see where our weakness is. I am not disagreeing with your actual events but this guy Lewis is hungry for a go and that’s something we lack in this team. If he plays in the centre and just defends his side to me his saved tries. His hits today is something we lack in our team. Inspires others let alone us the supporters even if we lose to see guts like that I would pay for any day.
I understand and can relate to your support for Lewis,you saw something in him that excites you.But his current weight of 88kgs (heaviest he's been was pre season at 90kgs) would make him the lightest center in 1st grade.

The closest centers at 90-92 kgs are:
Roberts 90kgs (Broncos),Croker 92kgs (Raiders) and Beale 92 kgs (Warriors),but all 3 have loads of 1st grade experience.

Now the middle weights that outweigh him by 7-8 kgs :
Aitken 95 kgs (Saints),Kelly 95 kgs (Manly),Whare 96 kgs (Penrith) and Jennings 96 kgs (Parra).

Now the heavyweights that outweigh him by 12-16 kgs:
Chambers 100kgs (Storm),Dugan 102 kgs (Sharks),Hurrell 104 kgs (Titans) and Mitchell 104 kgs (Easts).

Now the super heavyweights that outweigh him by 17-21 kgs:
Linnett 105 kgs (Cows),Inglis 105 kgs (Souths) Suli 106 kgs (Tigers) and Moga 109 kgs (Newcastle).

I hope this clarifies what most people are trying to tell you,by saying he's too small for a 1st grade center,atm.
I've never seen him at hooker and I don't know if his shoulders can take the riggers of that position.Hard to say whether he'll be a good impact or back bench player.
His best chance is at 5/8 if JMK is relegated back to ISP or replaces Lichaa,but Frawley and Cleeland are ahead of him in the halves,in ISP and 1st grade atm.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well he played in that Reserves team that we fielded against the Panthers and had a blinder and didn't look out of depth.............
Yes that's because Penrith were using that game as a fitness exercise,whilst our boys were playing as if it was a grand final.
They never put any of their structured moves they are displaying now.Wallace hardly darted from dummy half,Maloney was just a link in the backline and hardly took the line on,or kicked and Edwards didn't inject himself from fullback.
Our 1st grade scrapped a win in week 3.They went to sleep and lost structure after Cleary's injury in the 1st half.Once Maloney regained composure they steamrolled us,but the early start was too big for them to peg back.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yes that's because Penrith were using that game as a fitness exercise,whilst our boys were playing as if it was a grand final.
They never put any of their structured moves they are displaying now.Wallace hardly darted from dummy half,Maloney was just a link in the backline and hardly took the line on,or kicked and Edwards didn't inject himself from fullback.
Our 1st grade scrapped a win in week 3.They went to sleep and lost structure after Cleary's injury in the 1st half.Once Maloney regained composure they steamrolled us,but the early start was too big for them to peg back.
How Penrith played has nothing to do with it. The argument from others is that he is too small and not ready to face FG players. He faced a full strength FG team that night and came out on top. I do not buy into the "too small" argument as there is a list as long as my arm of players who have not only done it but have been the best in our game. I'm not saying he is one of those players, just that he's worth a gamble in adding something to our team who is in desperate need of having someone creative to help out Foran. We are 1-5, I think it can't hurt to roll the dice on this. He get's hurt than we are no different to where we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.