Letter to Bulldogs regarding Suttons and Cummins

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Very well written and articulated mate well done! Unfortunately it all falls on deaf ears. Just do what I did, cancel your Foxtel subscription and highlight this exact statement as the reason why, it’s the only tune the NRL will actually listen to, the broadcasters telling them they are loosing $$$ because their customers are sick of the blatant favouritism towards certain teams! I turned the corrupt game off months ago and live a very peaceful, tranquil life now free of any stress and frustration caused by the NRL and their corrupt sport and officialdom.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fact Gerard Sutton is a consultant the Storm is an absolute disgrace, there’s no way this should be allowed.
To my mind this is a massive conflict of interest. Bernard has cut ties with the NRL but his brother is still employed by them and will/has inevitably refereed the very side his brother now works for.
Being siblings ,they no doubt have a very good understanding of just how each other ticks and Bernard would have no hesitation in advising the Storm about just how his brother operates and what he looks for in a side when he referees. This would have been a pretty handy thing in the time they both worked together for the NRL, but akin to an insider trading scenario in its current form.
The NRL itself is concerned so why are they allowing it?

Rival NRL clubs are privately unhappy about the recently-formed links between premiers Melbourne and the game's No.1 ranked referee Gerard Sutton.

The Storm employed Sutton's elder brother and former boss, ex-referees supremo Bernard Sutton, as a consultant in January.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Gerard has a bias towards the Storm because of their association with his brother - the referee is straight as an arrow.

But there are rumblings about what impact this scenario could have, with Bernard having coached Gerard and having an intimate knowledge of all his habits and pet peeves on the field that could theoretically result in penalties.

The NRL themselves are concerned about optics of the link between the brothers. A couple of months ago during the State of Origin series, chief executive Andrew Abdo personally telephoned Bernard Sutton telling him to stand down from helping Queensland after game one, which was refereed by Gerard.

"Bernard trained his little brother and was his boss - he knows how he ticks as a referee and what he is likely to penalise and what he will let go," a rival coach told me.

"What if Gerard referees the grand final and the Storm win - as they did last year - and his brother is now on the coaching staff. We are not saying there is any bias but it is not a good look."

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To my mind this is a massive conflict of interest. Bernard has cut ties with the NRL but his brother is still employed by them and will/has inevitably refereed the very side his brother now works for.
Being siblings ,they no doubt have a very good understanding of just how each other ticks and Bernard would have no hesitation in advising the Storm about just how his brother operates and what he looks for in a side when he referees. This would have been a pretty handy thing in the time they both worked together for the NRL, but akin to an insider trading scenario in its current form.
The NRL itself is concerned so why are they allowing it?

Rival NRL clubs are privately unhappy about the recently-formed links between premiers Melbourne and the game's No.1 ranked referee Gerard Sutton.

The Storm employed Sutton's elder brother and former boss, ex-referees supremo Bernard Sutton, as a consultant in January.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Gerard has a bias towards the Storm because of their association with his brother - the referee is straight as an arrow.

But there are rumblings about what impact this scenario could have, with Bernard having coached Gerard and having an intimate knowledge of all his habits and pet peeves on the field that could theoretically result in penalties.

The NRL themselves are concerned about optics of the link between the brothers. A couple of months ago during the State of Origin series, chief executive Andrew Abdo personally telephoned Bernard Sutton telling him to stand down from helping Queensland after game one, which was refereed by Gerard.

"Bernard trained his little brother and was his boss - he knows how he ticks as a referee and what he is likely to penalise and what he will let go," a rival coach told me.

"What if Gerard referees the grand final and the Storm win - as they did last year - and his brother is now on the coaching staff. We are not saying there is any bias but it is not a good look."
Great article @dogluva and couldn’t agree more, apologies on my name flunk also, got my Sutton’s mixed up!

It really is bullshit though, plain and simple.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Sir/Madam,
I write to you today as a passionate fan of over 60 years and a former member, who is very disillusioned with the game at present, particularly the on-ground officiating of our games.

I have played, refereed and coached the game at junior league level, and thus consider I know more about the game than many fans who attend games.

The source of my disillusionment is three particular referees who regardless of who we are playing, can’t seem to find fault with our opponents.

I have had concerns about Gerard Sutton, ever since the Good Friday game of 2015. Since that day we have won three games out of approximately 30, under his stewardship, Our recent victory over St. George broke a losing sequence of 18 straight games dating back to our previous victory under him in Round 1, 2016 against Manly at Brookvale.

I am well aware that for much of this period our team has never really challenged for the top 8, but there have been games that have turned on the back of a 50-50 call, which always seem to go against us. Broncos at Suncorp 2018 being a classic example. I wrote to the NRL 2 years ago about G Sutton, but was given the stock standard one size fits all answer of “The referees are doing their best”.

His brother Chris is of the same ilk. Our record under him is 2 victories from the last 14 games, and when I saw him run onto the field on Sunday, I knew we were in trouble, as the final penalty count not including repeat sets of 6 nil proved. That was the 3rd game this year where we received 1 or less penalties, which is an absolute nonsense. I’m sick and tired of coming up against opponents who are allegedly close to perfect.

The performances of Ben Cummins during our games this year, should also not escape scrutiny, particularly in the round 1 game against Newcastle, when he clearly responded to home crowd noise.

All three of them seem to put the Bulldogs under more scrutiny than our opponents. What we get pinged for, our opponents seem to get away with. My issue is not he penalties we concede, it’s the one we don’t receive.

In 3 of our recent games, if you add the tackle count restarts and penalties together, we were, 12-3, 13-4 and 11-3 against us, when playing higher ranked teams, and there were several decisions in the games, that could have gone our way but didn’t.

Were we 3 times more undisciplined than our opponents, I doubt it. This has a flow on effect when the next game comes along, even with a different referee, who knows our recent history.

I think Trent has handled himself very diplomatically in press conferences pointing out the disparities, and he was 100% in taking up his concerns through the correct channels with Graham Annesley, last week. I suspected it would have little or no impact, and so it proved.

Our team is not playing well. Lots of stupid mistakes, like on Sunday trying for an offload in our 10-metre zone after scoring our first try and losing control of the ball. However this is a by-product of having less than 50% possession week after week after week, as the penalty counts and repeat sets mount up, and give our opponents a dream run where they don’t have to do anywhere near the amount of defence we have to.

Thus our players take risks they probably shouldn’t.

We have bought well for 2022, but our biggest challenge is turning around these lopsided counts, and it is something I suggest the senior people at the club, should be having discussions with the appropriate people at the NRL over the summer, with statistics to back up our concerns.

Right now we are an easy target, and I suspect it will remain so, if we continue to cop it on the chin, and hope it turns around.
Mate! That was awesome. You should answer all questions at the presser from now on!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would add that I have watched the team train several times this year and the players absolutely put in the hard work, any fatigue that they suffer from in games is not due to any lack of fitness. It is often due to being penalised severely early in games, causing them to have to defend for long periods. Which then leaves them struggling under stress later in the game, causing mistakes in offence and errors in defence. We often get penalised heavily early in games which is then evened up later in the game when the result is already secured.

Always a Bulldog
Every game our possession is 40% or less. Against Manly it was running at 32% when they finally kicked ahead. We received a few repeat sets late in the game, when the margin was too big to claw back. That is a pattern also.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's clear each game is being controlled differently and the refs are biased towards certain teams.
For sure; it's not just the Dogs. But the Tigers had a dream run with the ref yesterday. I wish we'd had him against Manly.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever considered a class action against the NRL or the referees? Or both. The refs for their bias, which can be proven and the NRL for inaction.
What would be the basis of the claim? You'd have to prove a breach of the rules, or personal loss.
What would you demand happen to the offenders?
The refs have enough latitude to get around any claim of inconsistencies - and we'd be offside with every ref if we attack one of their own.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Lewis getting taken out by a lead runner, on Lewis' outside shoulder, preventing the "opportunity" to tackle the passer prior to Katoa's try. Every time this has happened this year the try has been denied, regardless of whether it would've made a difference to the play. Every time. Yet, we get play on.
2. Sharks player grubber kicks for the in-goal, Dogs sticka foot out and kick it back. Ball then richochete's 180 degress off attacker's foot and over dead ball line. Ref AND bunker call drop out due to "not played at". That is a absurd extention of the rule, he played at the ball by kicking the ball for himself to start with, he doesn't then suddenly become uninvolved in the play.

Of course, there is the usual forward passes let go, uneven hold down rulings etc. But they can be explained away as "on the run" decisions by the ref in the middle. The above two items were both reviewed multiple times by someone in the bunker away from game in the comfort of a chair and all manner of replays and time to be able to make a good decision.
Only a few weeks back, Okunbor had his hair pulled, and pulled hard, when chasing a kick down the sideline- nothing was done about it. When I look at what was considered a penalty, and put on report from yesterday, I do despair.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Woweful performance from the Refs all weekend really. NRL are Corrupted

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We already have the spoon this year so it does not matter so why not, in next weeks game ,every time there is a ” dubious” call against us, the whole team just turn their backs to the play and just not move and let the Tigers score. Would that get the message across?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate! That was awesome. You should answer all questions at the presser from now on!
Thank you. I think Trent did very well to restrain himself at the presser, but got his point across. I will be very surprised if Trent Robinson isn't fined.

I refereed junior league for 22 years, as well as S G Ball and Jersey Flegg for 5 years. I know it is a tough gig. When things go against you with the same refs over and over again, something has to be said through the correct channels, not in a presser.

My original email to the club, which is at the start of this thread has not received a reply.

Yesterday straight after the game I forwarded it to the club again, and added some things from yesterday's game to further highlight my disgust. I indicated in bold letters, that a reply is expected.

Our record under the brothers is deplorable and it won't change unless the club sits down with key people at "No Real Leadership" and thrashes this out over summer.

I view the Sutton Brothers and to a slightly lesser extent "home ground Ben Cummins" as the biggest impediments to being competitive again.

TIME FOR ACTION.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Every game our possession is 40% or less. Against Manly it was running at 32% when they finally kicked ahead. We received a few repeat sets late in the game, when the margin was too big to claw back. That is a pattern also.
Certainly is a pattern with both Sutton brothers. Another pattern is we get nothing when the game is close. Evidence of that 2018 v Broncos when both brothers were the ref, and a couple of diabolical decisions were made. Close game all the way 6nil penalties against us in the 2nd half. Delirious Boyd went to the ground like he had been shot when scores were level. Penalty Broncos, game over. Smurky grin on G Sutton's face.

Dean Pay fined for saying we were not supposed to win.

This problem with G Sutton started on Good Friday 2015. Since then we have won with him 3 times, including a losing streak of 18 in a row until we beat Saints this year. Trent was in the Manly coaches box for our previous win in Round 1 2016.

All three brothers need to be eradicated from the NRL.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We already have the spoon this year so it does not matter so why not, in next weeks game ,every time there is a ” dubious” call against us, the whole team just turn their backs to the play and just not move and let the Tigers score. Would that get the message across?
Sad as I am to say it, the only thing that will get the message across is all our fans boycotting games refereed by the brothers. Unfortunately that will let the team down.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have sent another email to the Bulldogs regarding the Sutton Brothers. I started with the decisions that went against us today, and included the previous email that I sent to them and also posted on the TK when I started this thread.

I made it very plain that I am disappointed on not receiving a reply to my first email, and I expect one this time.

These 2 brothers are deplorable.

Proud of the team today, they were pretty good for no reward or respect from the whistle.
Is there anyone working at the club at the moment during COVID? They did that last year so perhaps again this year.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Sutton’s are absolutely two of the worst referees in history!
Geralds interruptions on some instances are mind boggling to say the least! His brother is following well in his footsteps! The decision today on the Trbojevic was again an absolute ‘clanger’! He loses the ball! ‘Oh it’s Canterbury don’t worry!’
Yes poor ball control on the second half but fatigue played a role in that on the back of 50/50 calls not going the way of the team! How can a referee justify over 65% to one team in a half of football?
Again the team was on the wrong end of the penalty count and the 6 agains?
Gould and Barrett and the fans need a ‘please explain?’ from Annesley and not the usual crap he dishes on a Monday about mistakes
The team completed at 100% in the first half how in today silly game (6 again needs to be scrapped) can a team suddenly not get any 50/50 calls? The Stimpson report on Tapau was clearly and accident but manly get a kick at goal to go 6 clear and a free interchange
infractions.jpg

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is there anyone working at the club at the moment during COVID? They did that last year so perhaps again this year.
Yeah you could be right mate. Surely though in a professional organisation there would be staff working from home that could either answer an email or forward it on to someone who could. That is not rocket science.