Letter to Bulldogs regarding Suttons and Cummins

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dear Sir/Madam,
I write to you today as a passionate fan of over 60 years and a former member, who is very disillusioned with the game at present, particularly the on-ground officiating of our games.

I have played, refereed and coached the game at junior league level, and thus consider I know more about the game than many fans who attend games.

The source of my disillusionment is three particular referees who regardless of who we are playing, can’t seem to find fault with our opponents.

I have had concerns about Gerard Sutton, ever since the Good Friday game of 2015. Since that day we have won three games out of approximately 30, under his stewardship, Our recent victory over St. George broke a losing sequence of 18 straight games dating back to our previous victory under him in Round 1, 2016 against Manly at Brookvale.

I am well aware that for much of this period our team has never really challenged for the top 8, but there have been games that have turned on the back of a 50-50 call, which always seem to go against us. Broncos at Suncorp 2018 being a classic example. I wrote to the NRL 2 years ago about G Sutton, but was given the stock standard one size fits all answer of “The referees are doing their best”.

His brother Chris is of the same ilk. Our record under him is 2 victories from the last 14 games, and when I saw him run onto the field on Sunday, I knew we were in trouble, as the final penalty count not including repeat sets of 6 nil proved. That was the 3rd game this year where we received 1 or less penalties, which is an absolute nonsense. I’m sick and tired of coming up against opponents who are allegedly close to perfect.

The performances of Ben Cummins during our games this year, should also not escape scrutiny, particularly in the round 1 game against Newcastle, when he clearly responded to home crowd noise.

All three of them seem to put the Bulldogs under more scrutiny than our opponents. What we get pinged for, our opponents seem to get away with. My issue is not he penalties we concede, it’s the one we don’t receive.

In 3 of our recent games, if you add the tackle count restarts and penalties together, we were, 12-3, 13-4 and 11-3 against us, when playing higher ranked teams, and there were several decisions in the games, that could have gone our way but didn’t.

Were we 3 times more undisciplined than our opponents, I doubt it. This has a flow on effect when the next game comes along, even with a different referee, who knows our recent history.

I think Trent has handled himself very diplomatically in press conferences pointing out the disparities, and he was 100% in taking up his concerns through the correct channels with Graham Annesley, last week. I suspected it would have little or no impact, and so it proved.

Our team is not playing well. Lots of stupid mistakes, like on Sunday trying for an offload in our 10-metre zone after scoring our first try and losing control of the ball. However this is a by-product of having less than 50% possession week after week after week, as the penalty counts and repeat sets mount up, and give our opponents a dream run where they don’t have to do anywhere near the amount of defence we have to.

Thus our players take risks they probably shouldn’t.

We have bought well for 2022, but our biggest challenge is turning around these lopsided counts, and it is something I suggest the senior people at the club, should be having discussions with the appropriate people at the NRL over the summer, with statistics to back up our concerns.

Right now we are an easy target, and I suspect it will remain so, if we continue to cop it on the chin, and hope it turns around.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Dear Sir/Madam,
I write to you today as a passionate fan of over 60 years and a former member, who is very disillusioned with the game at present, particularly the on-ground officiating of our games.

I have played, refereed and coached the game at junior league level, and thus consider I know more about the game than many fans who attend games.

The source of my disillusionment is three particular referees who regardless of who we are playing, can’t seem to find fault with our opponents.

I have had concerns about Gerard Sutton, ever since the Good Friday game of 2015. Since that day we have won three games out of approximately 30, under his stewardship, Our recent victory over St. George broke a losing sequence of 18 straight games dating back to our previous victory under him in Round 1, 2016 against Manly at Brookvale.

I am well aware that for much of this period our team has never really challenged for the top 8, but there have been games that have turned on the back of a 50-50 call, which always seem to go against us. Broncos at Suncorp 2018 being a classic example. I wrote to the NRL 2 years ago about G Sutton, but was given the stock standard one size fits all answer of “The referees are doing their best”.

His brother Chris is of the same ilk. Our record under him is 2 victories from the last 14 games, and when I saw him run onto the field on Sunday, I knew we were in trouble, as the final penalty count not including repeat sets of 6 nil proved. That was the 3rd game this year where we received 1 or less penalties, which is an absolute nonsense. I’m sick and tired of coming up against opponents who are allegedly close to perfect.

The performances of Ben Cummins during our games this year, should also not escape scrutiny, particularly in the round 1 game against Newcastle, when he clearly responded to home crowd noise.

All three of them seem to put the Bulldogs under more scrutiny than our opponents. What we get pinged for, our opponents seem to get away with. My issue is not he penalties we concede, it’s the one we don’t receive.

In 3 of our recent games, if you add the tackle count restarts and penalties together, we were, 12-3, 13-4 and 11-3 against us, when playing higher ranked teams, and there were several decisions in the games, that could have gone our way but didn’t.

Were we 3 times more undisciplined than our opponents, I doubt it. This has a flow on effect when the next game comes along, even with a different referee, who knows our recent history.

I think Trent has handled himself very diplomatically in press conferences pointing out the disparities, and he was 100% in taking up his concerns through the correct channels with Graham Annesley, last week. I suspected it would have little or no impact, and so it proved.

Our team is not playing well. Lots of stupid mistakes, like on Sunday trying for an offload in our 10-metre zone after scoring our first try and losing control of the ball. However this is a by-product of having less than 50% possession week after week after week, as the penalty counts and repeat sets mount up, and give our opponents a dream run where they don’t have to do anywhere near the amount of defence we have to.

Thus our players take risks they probably shouldn’t.

We have bought well for 2022, but our biggest challenge is turning around these lopsided counts, and it is something I suggest the senior people at the club, should be having discussions with the appropriate people at the NRL over the summer, with statistics to back up our concerns.

Right now we are an easy target, and I suspect it will remain so, if we continue to cop it on the chin, and hope it turns around.
D985_10_712_1200.jpg

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I would add that I have watched the team train several times this year and the players absolutely put in the hard work, any fatigue that they suffer from in games is not due to any lack of fitness. It is often due to being penalised severely early in games, causing them to have to defend for long periods. Which then leaves them struggling under stress later in the game, causing mistakes in offence and errors in defence. We often get penalised heavily early in games which is then evened up later in the game when the result is already secured.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would add that I have watched the team train several times this year and the players absolutely put in the hard work, any fatigue that they suffer from in games is not due to any lack of fitness. It is often due to being penalised severely early in games, causing them to have to defend for long periods. Which then leaves them struggling under stress later in the game, causing mistakes in offence and errors in defence. We often get penalised heavily early in games which is then evened up later in the game when the result is already secured.

Always a Bulldog
Agree 100%. Know you are right but didn't think of it as I was writing the email, as I had lots of other thoughts and wanted to keep it as brief as possible.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great letter that will unfortunately fall on def ears. It sucks big time but with the news rules it’s a lot easier for refs to get away with calls as no one has time to question them. If I was baz I’d draw up a whole list of infringements we have been penalised and mark out exactly the same infringements with other teams we play who don’t get pinged. But then again it’ll prob also fall on def ears. Only way out of this is to play a lot better and start wining games as hard as it is. We are the dogs and have been alone since we entered the comp. time for the boys to lift up there socks and have a us vs them mentality.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Watching them train a few times wouldn’t give you a fair indication of their fitness. It’s clear they are behind the eight ball in terms of fitness this year from the games no matter how much they are penalised.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your letter is spot on gb,I've been following the game for over forty years and I've never seen such blatant one sided officiating.I get our team is bog average but a fair penalty should be the same no matter what colour jersey you are wearing.Having said that,we aren't the only team getting the wrong end of the pineapple.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your letter is spot on gb,I've been following the game for over forty years and I've never seen such blatant one sided officiating.I get our team is bog average but a fair penalty should be the same no matter what colour jersey you are wearing.Having said that,we aren't the only team getting the wrong end of the pineapple.
All fair points mate. I wonder what the percentage of upset results in 2021 is, when you compare it to the pre covid rules in 2019.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A class action against the NRL and their refereeing officials would at least stir up the hornets nest and directly place the spotlight on the bias NRL. No one ever thought that Terry Hill would win his class action against ARL at the time but he did!!! The rest is history.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great letter that will unfortunately fall on def ears. It sucks big time but with the news rules it’s a lot easier for refs to get away with calls as no one has time to question them. If I was baz I’d draw up a whole list of infringements we have been penalised and mark out exactly the same infringements with other teams we play who don’t get pinged. But then again it’ll prob also fall on def ears. Only way out of this is to play a lot better and start wining games as hard as it is. We are the dogs and have been alone since we entered the comp. time for the boys to lift up there socks and have a us vs them mentality.
I have to agree with GB and TT, RL is by FAR and I mean exactly that BY FAR the hardest game in the World on players bodies.
The stupid NRL have introduced the 6 again rule to make the game more entertaining, and IMO it has failed badly.
Many believe that by fatiguing players the game opens up and become more entertaining, which is laughable.
The fact that when a team is struggling ( and we are) and the players fatigued, 1 bad call will only make players drop their heads even more.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching them train a few times wouldn’t give you a fair indication of their fitness. It’s clear they are behind the eight ball in terms of fitness this year from the games no matter how much they are penalised.
Agree 100%. We look fit at training when we play against each other lol. The same team coming last in the NRL. Geeze, isn't that a great way to assess our fitness levels? haha.

We look like plodders against the top teams. That's how we should be assessing our fitness levels.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing I would add is that it not a recent thing & it has been developing & increasing over many years & it seems the more the referees seem to get away with it, the more they push the button agains us.
All the more reason to draw it to the NRL's attention. I wonder with the many changes in administration since 2016, whether the current administration are aware just how deplorable our win/loss record is under the brothers. That was the main point of my letter, to draw it to their attention, particularly Trent Barrett and Aaron Warburton.

Hopefully it gets the wheels in motion inside their heads and understand just how difficult it will be for us to make the top 8, let alone win the comp whilever these jokers are involved.

As a former referee albeit at a lower level I know how difficult a gig it is, and shouldn't be whinging about them, but clearly they are a problem that needs to be addressed and the club should have called them to account before now, if admin had stayed the same.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you actually been to a training session and watched the hard yards that they put in? I went to a couple of preseason sessions and they were mercilessly flogged to the point of exhaustion and then told to get up and do it again. Then twice more early in the season (obviously I haven't been for a few weeks recently), where they worked damn hard, that's 3 times a week, plus the "recovery" session which isn't exactly a walk in the park either.

I have been to a few teams' training sessions over the years and our guys this year have worked as hard if not harder than most. Not always the case in the past mind you.

The fact is we get hammered in penalties (set restarts are penalties) and we don't have the strike players to get us out of trouble easily, we have to grind in defence and then fight hard in offence to make any ground at all. Where we are this year is physically draining, we don't score a lot of points, so the players get no respite because we don't run in multiple tries and take time kicking the conversions. Without players to break the game open we have to defend, defend, defend and then try and use whatever energy we have left for attack, which often starts inside our own 10 metre line.

Last game is a prime example, we only had the ball for 41% of the time, that's 20 minutes compared to 30 minutes, so we defended for almost 50% longer. Made 324 tackles to their 235, our effective tackle % was 82.4% compared to 82.7% despite us making 89 more tackles. FMD is it any wonder the players looked gassed.

Any claimed lack of fitness is 100% bullshit, just add a few strike players, get a fair go from the refs and we would look like we were doing it easy.

Always a Bulldog

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Lewis getting taken out by a lead runner, on Lewis' outside shoulder, preventing the "opportunity" to tackle the passer prior to Katoa's try. Every time this has happened this year the try has been denied, regardless of whether it would've made a difference to the play. Every time. Yet, we get play on.
2. Sharks player grubber kicks for the in-goal, Dogs sticka foot out and kick it back. Ball then richochete's 180 degress off attacker's foot and over dead ball line. Ref AND bunker call drop out due to "not played at". That is a absurd extention of the rule, he played at the ball by kicking the ball for himself to start with, he doesn't then suddenly become uninvolved in the play.

Of course, there is the usual forward passes let go, uneven hold down rulings etc. But they can be explained away as "on the run" decisions by the ref in the middle. The above two items were both reviewed multiple times by someone in the bunker away from game in the comfort of a chair and all manner of replays and time to be able to make a good decision.