Letter to Bulldogs regarding Suttons and Cummins

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No real need to . Dumb thing is it all came out after he retired anyway...

2007 was when he came out after being arrested in London in possession of ecstasy.
tis article is recent and refers back to his admission of drug use in 2007.

Johns 'not a cashed-up wanker'

By Dean Ritchie from Dailytelegraph
June 27th, 2021 7:44 pm
ANDREW Johns was the most confident player of his generation, but last night he was an emotional wreck.

In a stunning confession, Johns discussed candidly his long-term drug and alcohol abuse and his battle with depression.

He admitted to having taken ecstasy and "other drugs" throughout his stellar career - but somehow managed to avoid detection by NRL drug testers.

"I took them throughout my career, mainly in the off-season," Johns said.

"At times it was like playing Russian roulette when I took them during the season.

"When we'd play Friday night, we wouldn't train until Monday. I took them then. Hopefully (the drug) would be gone by Monday."

The NRL revealed last night that Johns had been drug tested a total of 17 times during his career, but always on game day.

By the time the testing was conducted, the drugs were out of his system.

Johns revealed how his drug taking offered a release from his high-profile existence.
"It was an escape from the pressure and to get away from being a footballer," he said.
"People must think it's great being me and I have led a privileged life. But with that goes a lot of pressure."
Rumours have been rife in rugby league for some time that Johns was a drug user.
Johns said last night that he remained proud of his unparalleled achievements in the game, despite the taint that will now forever be attached to his career.

"I'm not just a cashed-up sportsman who is a drug-taking wanker," he said.
"It's not all black and white.
"I look back at my career and not many have achieved what I did.
"The last 10 years should have been the greatest time of my life, but I was interrupted by so many unpredictable situations.
"I was getting myself into trouble. It was all, every time, because of the influence of alcohol and drugs. It was an abuse."
Johns also admitted that he was suffering from depression, but he said he felt uncomfortable discussing his condition because "it's not an excuse".
"I have a medical condition to go with this (drug taking)," he said.
"I have a tendency to go 1000mph or nothing.
"(Drugs) only added (to) my risk-taking behaviour."
Johns said that his medical condition worsened when drinking.
"Only people close to me know of my volatile mood swings," he said.
Johns said when asked whether he had bipolar disorder: "I'm not answering that. It will come out."

Johns was arrested in London last Sunday, when he was stopped at Kings Cross underground station during a drug operation by transport police after the annual Notting Hill Carnival.

He had just attended the notorious club The Church, a popular drinking establishment among Australian expatriates.

Johns was arrested and officially cautioned, but not charged, after an ecstasy pill was discovered in his jeans pocket.

He revealed yesterday how the arrest occurred.

"I was in the train station and I didn't have a ticket," he said.

"When I went through at the original station, this girl buzzed me through. She had a six-month (Tube) pass.

"I completely forgot what I had in my pocket.

"When I was stopped (by police) I said I didn't have a ticket and asked where can I buy one.

"He directed me and I went to the spot and it was then that the police checked me.

"I forgot I had (the pill) in my pocket. It's up to people whether they want to believe it or not.

"I'm coming clean about it. My judgment was clouded after a few drinks."

Johns initially said the tablet was pushed into his pocket by an unknown man at The Church, and that he had intended to dispose of it.

"I know I've done the wrong thing (but) I stand by what I said, that some guy came up and put in my pocket," he said last night.

"But I knew what he was doing. I knew what it was.

"I was going to take it for sure."

An emotional Johns told how the most difficult part of the entire incident was informing his son, Samuel, of his crime.

The pair sat down on Wednesday morning to talk about drugs.

"That was the hardest bit ... explaining to a seven year old what I've done," he said.

"It broke my heart. Kids understand more than you think.

"I just want to get home and be with my family."

Johns has now vowed to quit his drug habit - and he sent a warning to his former NRL colleagues to use his experience as a lesson.

"Some players should look at the humiliation and embarrassment this has caused not only to myself but more my family," he said.

Asked if he was going to seek treatment for his abuse, Johns said: "I'd be a fool not to."
A lot of the general public are under pressure in their jobs & don't take drugs. There are other ways to relieve it. I worked 13 hour days 6 days a week for years with the whips cracking at you every day - no drugs here.

Not a cashed up wanker?

He certainly comes across as a wanker & with the salaries he has had since he started at least representing, would have meant he is cashed up. That is unless he kept spending the money on something frivolous.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well put together mate. Sort of illustrates my point that our opponents are not subjected to the same scrutiny as we are. 7 times we have received one penalty or less in a game.

Bottom of the ladder teams get bottom of the ladder decisions.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes. It gave Tapau a ten minute rest and another extra interchange to the Eagles. Stats show they used 6 interchange but in reality had 9 due to three free ones.

Likewise they got a free interchange for Harper just into the second half as well for the grand time of 26 seconds when Hetherington got put on report.
The thing is Harper ( a back ) went off /Aloiai ( a forward) came on after he had already had a considerable rest and half time break and then when Harper came back 26 seconds later he replaced as a freebie Sipley ( another forward) who had come off at 22 minutes in the first half with also a half time break.This way they have been able to replace a forward for free when a back was the one original injured.
There used to be a rule where if you went off for a reportable offence & came back on again, the man who replaced you went off. Time to bring that back.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting to see what Annesley says in his press conference. Snippet from fox sports :

Another moment that will surely be up for discussion is the Bunker’s decision to award Manly star Tom Trbojevic a try when it was clear that he had been held up by Bulldogs prop Jack Hetherington.

In the same game Bulldogs second-rower Joe Stimson was put on report for a hair pull that appeared accidental and Manly received a penalty over the moment.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting to see what Annesley says in his press conference. Snippet from fox sports :

Another moment that will surely be up for discussion is the Bunker’s decision to award Manly star Tom Trbojevic a try when it was clear that he had been held up by Bulldogs prop Jack Hetherington.

In the same game Bulldogs second-rower Joe Stimson was put on report for a hair pull that appeared accidental and Manly received a penalty over the moment.
It will be Silence!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be Silence!
First topic discussed was on Robbo. Not going to touch too much on that, but he did admit Trell should have been sent off.

He deemed the above incident as defintiely got it wrong.

He is claiming that the below instances are open to interpretation, and was not deemed to be the wrong call.

On Stimson - basically said from the refs perspective, he saw a player tackling another player with a lock of hair in his hand. Given that they've had 5 players suspended or charged this year for hair pulling, he was penalised. He touched on the fact he was not charged, but then just ad libbed his way through by stating that not all players put on report are charged.

He called the above a "perfectly reasonable decision".

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Depending on which team you support, you will probably have a different view"

Graham Annesley stated the above in the lead up to discussing the Tom Turbo grounding (or lack there of).

He literally went to the rule book (page 17) of the NRL rule book to justify the grounding. Basically touched on "re-gripping" only comes into player when you've lost the ball - then tried to throw shade by inferring Tommy was trying to change the ball carrying hand as a means of justifying why the ball seemed to of been lost.

It is a dropped ball every fucking day of the week. "The criticism does not match up to the reality".

Brent Read also tried to pretty much have Trent Barrett fined.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Hard for me to say that they made the wrong call - it is not a massively bad decision to uphold the onfield decision".

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A reporter asked him if he was happy with the Tommy try being a precedent for put downs:

"I have every reason to mount a case the ball was grounded legitimately."

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be Silence!

See above comments gents for Annelsleys pathetic attempt to justify the try ruling.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's start a crowd funding page - to start a class action against the nrl - based on constant bias and bullying by the nrl, causing financial loss and psychological injuries to players, staff, brand name and fans.

There is plenty of evidence should you go through each game - not to mention the referees forming closer relationships with certain teams and players by training with them, which coincidentally has these teams fairing well in regards to overall penalties conceded since these clubs started trying with the referees.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It will be Silence!
He couldn't and he knew it, the stink was long and loud from lots of quarters, not just Bulldogs supports who he blamed the complaints on.

Always a Bulldog

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good discussion from Finch and Kemp about the game and how the refs have been flogging us

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
AND once again two bullsh@t foul play penalties where Hetherington and Stimson put on report for dangerous tackles. one which led to a try and also free interchanges found to be a nonsense with absolutely no case to answer to after the fact....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is there anyone working at the club at the moment during COVID? They did that last year so perhaps again this year.
Supposedly working from home. I phoned to enquire as to a refund for tickets paid for but unable to be used due to lockdown and relocation to another state. Got a recorded message saying office closed, send an email.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There used to be a rule where if you went off for a reportable offence & came back on again, the man who replaced you went off. Time to bring that back.
And that is the way it should be.Once again another on the run rule change which the coaches quickly found out how to rort..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course he would bring that out of the bag. Big difference between an intended hair pull and one in which the player accidentally gets tangled up. If the incident was a hair pull how come there was no charge laid??

Oh and by the way if you think that Henry needed time off because he made the wrong decision about Latrell what about you and the rest of the 'team' take a break as well because there were a considerable number of errors on the weekend three of them in our game costing us penalties and a try..