Leniu - What happened?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry guys - my guy was adamant we were all but done but unfortunately Roosters came in late with an offer we couldn’t/Gus didn’t want to match

Negotiations change can change quickly and unfortunately it turned out bad for us in this instance

Then the breaks
I’m glad we didn’t overpay like the Roosters did just because he plays for Panther. Very smart business imo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know it won't happen but I'd be keen for the club to turn their attention to Tom Burgess.

He showed some great form last year and was dominant in the WC.
Would be a good play 1 front rower for us and his hard crash plays at the try line would form a strong combo with Mahoney.

Worst case scenario we make South's pay a little more.

Only other front rowers available for 2024 that are big boys are Guler and Blacker.

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry guys - my guy was adamant we were all but done but unfortunately Roosters came in late with an offer we couldn’t/Gus didn’t want to match

Negotiations change can change quickly and unfortunately it turned out bad for us in this instance

Then the breaks
All good mate. I think Gus is going to sit on the money available for now and see what pops up during the year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know it won't happen but I'd be keen for the club to turn their attention to Tom Burgess.

He showed some great form last year and was dominant in the WC.
Would be a good play 1 front rower for us and his hard crash plays at the try line would form a strong combo with Mahoney.

Worst case scenario we make South's pay a little more.

Only other front rowers available for 2024 that are big boys are Guler and Blacker.
Go hard for NAS and Egan Butcher

Guler would be okay

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roosters definately doing a dodgy behind the scenes.
We have his Panthers mates, Ciraldo and his former junior rep mentor in O'Meley.

We didn't match what the Poosters offered outside the cap and under it. Can't wait to see the lies / reported figure.
Spot on

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Go hard for NAS and Egan Butcher
Its legit impossible to sign any good Rooster players sadly. Egan Butcher playing lock for us would be great

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s ok that we missed out on Leniu, We are only a few wks away from another ‘Haas isn’t happy’ rumour, so we can turn our attention to him. Unfortunately even with Leniu, Collins and Lodge, the Roosters could still afford Haas lol
Mid season trades will be interesting, I’m particularly interested in what happens to Thommo, if he doesn’t re-sign or stay in Aus, surely he’d be ready to go home mid season.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you seriously suggesting that JAC can't sell his Let's Trot gear? Because that's a TPA.
Or Burton signing football boots sponsor? Because that's a TPA.
Or Mahony with a headgear sponsor? Because that's a TPA.

Always a Bulldog
First off I believe “Let’s Trot” isn’t a TPA. I’m sure It’s his business he can earn as much he wants.

TPA’s can still be part of the game but it needs a huge reform.

The Salary Cap is a myth.

When players sign for unders to play somewhere. In some cases ridiculous unders for what’s been offered elsewhere. It makes an absolute mockery of the Salary Cap.

The Salary Cap is supposed to level out the playing talent across the NRL.
It’s in place to stop less affluent clubs going broke with the clubs that have the money to spend being restricted. To keep it fair.

Currently TPA’s are unlimited.

I can be a wealthy individual. As long as I don’t have any affiliation with the club. I can allocate say $2million to a club. I can top up say 8 players by $250k outside of the cap. Of course the club knows nothing about this lol

So it’s clear to all that anyone signing for unders isn’t signing for unders. They are just playing in another game of who has the wealthiest connections.

The NRL need to stop giving clubs as much in Grants and sign players directly to play for the NRL first and foremost. Then the club has a second tier contract.

If a player is worth $1m to one club. The figure that another club needs to register against their cap entitlement should be at least 90% of that figure. Even if they have the rich friends splashing the cash. Their contract should be registered at a minimum of $900k on the cap.

Somehow I think the mystery cash would dry up.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just because Leniu signs with the Roosters doesn't mean @KiwiDog7 isn't providing legit mail. He got lots of other things right before this. From the sounds of it, Leniu was pretty close to signing but the Roosters came in last minute by offering a small Carribean private island to get the deal over the line..

Either way, keep the mail coming. They won't all be right, but we appreciate the mail nonetheless.
the roosters didnt come in late, i quoted this to @ASSASSIN and @Bulldogs09 more than 6 or 8 weeks ago, before anyone quoted the roosters were involved.
the storm and dragons never gave any offers, that was bullshit from the media.
The initial offer his management was rejected by both dogs and roosters, it was stupid.
fact is roosters gave a counter offer at a very respectable price, and the dogs didnt bother to give anything.
what is he supposed to do? he goes to the club that wants him.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Then the breaks
he was close

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the roosters didnt come in late, i quoted this to @ASSASSIN and @Bulldogs09 more than 6 or 8 weeks ago, before anyone quoted the roosters were involved.
the storm and dragons never gave any offers, that was bullshit from the media.
The initial offer his management was rejected by both dogs and roosters, it was stupid.
fact is roosters gave a counter offer at a very respectable price, and the dogs didnt bother to give anything.
what is he supposed to do? he goes to the club that wants him.
Fair enough.. We always appreciate your info too man. You, @KiwiDog7 , @MasterP, @ASSASSIN, @Dexter35 and a few others are some of the few on here that provide legit mail.

We'll never know the exact figure but it will be interesting to know what the clubs top offer was and how much he signed for at the Roosters. I think he could be pretty good, but I also don't think he's worth paying too much for.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is Horsburgh still off contract next year? He'd probably cost way less than Leniu as he has way less hype but he's actually achieved more in the NRL for a longer period of time.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fair enough.. We always appreciate your info too man. You, @KiwiDog7 , @MasterP, @ASSASSIN, @Dexter35 and a few others are some of the few on here that provide legit mail.

We'll never know the exact figure but it will be interesting to know what the clubs top offer was and how much he signed for at the Roosters. I think he could be pretty good, but I also don't think he's worth paying too much for.
i know the exact figure, they definitely did not pay overs for him.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is Horsburgh still off contract next year? He'd probably cost way less than Leniu as he has way less hype but he's actually achieved more in the NRL for a longer period of time.
Signed until 2025 apparently

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He signed a contract extension recently, he's available for 2025. He does go between being a key member to on the outer a fair bit in that team, looks like might be happening again tho.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i know the exact figure, they definitely did not pay overs for him.
Interesting.. Gus and Ciraldo mustn't rate him at the level that he'd cost. Could be one we missed out on or one that they got right. Will be interesting to see how he goes this season and next.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He signed a contract extension recently, he's available for 2025. He does go between being a key member to on the outer a fair bit in that team, looks like might be happening again tho.
Didn't see that one.. A couple of weeks ago he was still available. That's a shame.. Stuart does that with everyone though. Even Tapine was getting limited bench minutes a season ago and now he's one of the best forwards in the comp. Players must hate the way Stuart fucks with their roles constantly.