Official Lafai signs for rest of 2020

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well thinking about that, starting centres for 2021?
Cotric & not sure Hoppa maybe. They may play Hoppa at 1.
Fingers crossed we get Tedesco in a swap deal for Lewis :p

But yeh. We are light at fullback. Hoppa is probably the best player we have. Most consistent and reliable too. But he just lacks that 1-2 yards of speed to be effective. And also he is super potent at centre all he needs is a semi decent player on his outside to finish off try’s. He made Reimis look like an origin winger last year :p

The thing is we play him at 1 we will play well and he will execute every play clinically. But we will be under pressure with kicks that Go over his head and we will struggle with his back up play as he can get the ball but only go another 10 mins because he lacks that explosion that separates him from being a top 3 fullback.

Hoppas skills, and game awareness with meanys speed we would have the 3rd best fullback in the world.

Unfortunately his best position these days will be centre where he can use his strength to bump defenders off more so then use speed to run past them.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Foz. He’s taking the ball from first receiver anyway. Assuming he’s good to go.
Yeah I can't see Foran plays halfback.
Also I doubt he will be at the club next season anyway.

The idea you offer the $300k - $350k to play halfback.
And nurture a young bloke.
I just can't see it.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At last , a ‘real’ centre. Hopefully we can still keep CHN

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He looks like a run and gun 7

I’d put Avo at 1 let him train there all off season and add some muscle to his frame

Burton ideal in the halves
I think 5/8 suits him best, especially at this stage of his career. He wants to play there and he knows how to play there. You want him on the ball in key attacking positions while having him play a more supporting type role with getting the team around them park. Anyway we probably need to stop fixating on "positions" and worry more about "roles"

Otis

Waterboy
Reaction score
Happy days. Reimis back where he belongs = Not in the $&@&$@# centres!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I can't see Foran plays halfback.
Also I doubt he will be at the club next season anyway.

The idea you offer the $300k - $350k to play halfback.
And nurture a young bloke.
I just can't see it.
Yeah don’t see why not.. unless somebody offers him more and with his recent injury history... good luck to them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let the game begin:-)
1 Maeney
2 DWZ
3 Lafai
4 Montoya
5 Smith
6 Averillo
7 Foran
8 Tolman
9 JMK
10 To.omaga
11 RFM
12 Jackson
13 Thompson

14 Cogger / Wakenam / Lewis
15 Napa
16 Sue
17 CHN / Ogden / Smith

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t mind the signing

-interim signing only
- he has experience
- can beat a man
- can set up his winger
- can defend

You can’t tick [emoji736] all of those boxes for Holland and or Montoya

If he had as much ball as Montoya on the weekend he would’ve created a try ...Monty just didn’t look likely nor did Holland

It’s a good little signing
And. Can goal kick at a pinch

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Floptoya better not be marking up on Bradman best this week
If so
I’m making him captain of my fantasy team
It was going to be Ponga but let’s see who’s named

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with the signing to be honest better then what we have. Could probably get him cheap for next year as well. A back five of:
1. Hopoate
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Lafai
5. Okunbor

This is a very solid back 5 to be honest

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual i agree 100%

You and i see similar things in games
Up until his final season with us Lafai had a knack for finding a big play in important games. As mentioned by others he lost his pace and dropped off in form in his final year.

I don't think he's going to be in the team forever. Bringing in Cotric and potentially having Schoup ready to step up means he's got the rest of the season to prove to any club that he's worth a top 30 spot. So he won't be resting on his laurels. Hopefully he triggers some fond memories and adds something to our attack. I know his defence is still pretty good. So if we can at least rely on him to solidify one edge we're going to appreciate him.

I've personally stuck up for Holland many times. He's okin attack, but just hasn't learner to trust his inside Mento drifting defence and he creates a lot of gaps on his edge. Montoya has been solid overall for a few years. But just doesn't seem to offer much more than as a link in attack.

I tend to support our players anytime they're selected. But I really think Lafai on a one year deal can be an astute signing.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I’m okay with this. At least the dudes an out and out centre. Abit of Dogs DNA there already as well. Never underestimate what a change of scenery could sometimes do for a player. Wonder if he still has his fend ?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think we need someone with a long kicking game beside both Foran or Averillo from what I've seen. Wakeham and Lewis not good enough either now or period. I don't think we'll see a Foran and Averillo pairing, I could be wrong tho.
That's why I think Avo should be 1 for now. It makes it very hard when the opposition know that only 1 half will be taking the long range last tackle options... Would place to much pressure on the kid when running is his go.