Kyle Flanagan

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why do all of you forget how bad he was last season? Trent was literally sucking him off in the presser before the season yet Flanagan couldn't manage to do the bare minimum to keep him happy. If Flanagan did the bare minimum he never would've lost his role in the first place.
I had an absolute blinder in the opening round against Newcastle. Was best on ground by a long way. My game only went downhill from there. Now I am no longer being coached by Barrett, I am looking good again. Do you see the pattern here?

Dud coach, or not. I am still the only NRL ready halfback at the club, and by far and away, the best option to partner Burto.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had an absolute blinder in the opening round against Newcastle. Was best on ground by a long way. My game only went downhill from there. Now I am no longer being coached by Barrett, I am looking good again. Do you see the pattern here?

Dud coach, or not. I am still the only NRL ready halfback at the club, and by far and away, the best option to partner Burto.
You will be steering us to an upset victory against the Panthers

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sorry that you have a problem reading and understanding what I actually wrote. Playing to the coaches style doesn’t also mean playing well and that was his issue. He was playing badly and suffered the consequences, which I put down to confidence, not a lack of ability to play the way the respective coaches wanted him to play. He’s currently doing OK in NSW Cup and hopefully rebuilding confidence, playing the style that the coaching staff want him to. Whether that’s good enough to earn a return to NRL that’s up to the coaching staff, not you and most certainly not me.

Always a Bulldog
>"Playing to the coaches style doesn’t also mean playing well and that was his issue."
>"not a lack of ability to play the way the respective coaches wanted him to play."
More rubbish. Do you actually read the shite you post? So your buddy Flanno ALWAYS played to the coaches style thoughout his whole career but at the same time it didn't mean he was playing well?
I can imagine this conversation:
Baz: Flanno, we'll build our team around you. I want you to play HB like Andrew Johns. Watch all the tapes I sent you and keep practising those training drills. Engage the defence, put our runners though the gap like Johns. Perfect your kicking.
Flanno: OK
After the match
Baz: Flanno, you're dropped.
Flanno: Why?
Baz: You were supposed to play HB like Johns, not kick out on the full on the 2nd tackle 10 metres out from the tryline, throw hospital passes and predictable passes out the back.
Flanno: I did play like Johns. I just didn't do it very well. I've always had the ability to play the way my respective coaches wanted me to play. I'm just down on confidence. Twin Turbo told me so.
Baz: So you're telling me it's not due to lack of ability to play like Johns, it's just confidence?
Flanno: Absolutely. I have as much ability as Johns. If you want me to play like Turvey I can do that too.
Baz: Shite! You're the next Andrew Johns and Turvey.
Baz to Gus later: Sign Flanno up for 10 years. He's a future immortal. He can play any style I tell him to.
Gus: I'm onto it. I checked TK and Twin Turbo gave me the tip about Flanno.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Flanno has been killing it in the lower grade is that true plus I guess we can take some pressure of Burto esp when it comes to some general play and esp goal kicking

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But has their son gone on to anything? Parents always blow up thinking their kids are better than what they are
I have experience with this happening during my life as a coach. Particularly in junior rep cricket.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have experience with this happening during my life as a coach. Particularly in junior rep cricket.
mate i have it every year coaching league, always the parents that complain think their kid is better than what they are. never going to change

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
mate i have it every year coaching league, always the parents that complain think their kid is better than what they are. never going to change
Because I have never had kids of my own, and only inherited (so to speak) 2 stepsons long after the finished as juniors. I can safely say that any decisions I made as a coach had nothing to do with nepotism and were based entirely on what I thought were best for the team.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because I have never had kids of my own, and only inherited (so to speak) 2 stepsons long after the finished as juniors. I can safely say that any decisions I made as a coach had nothing to do with nepotism and were based entirely on what I thought were best for the team.
100% thats the only way you can coach. The kids need tough love sometimes.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
100% thats the only way you can coach. The kids need tough love sometimes.
There is a lot to be said for tough love at times. Some players react in positive way to TL. Others need an arm around their shoulder so to speak. A coach has to be a good judge of which is the best method for every player in his team.

The players who annoyed me the most are the naturally talented who Coast through games and make little or no effort to get better. The ones I enjoyed coaching were the less talented ones who listen to everything you say, and make a conscious effort to improve and generally they do.

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There a lot to be said for tough love at times. Some players react in positive way to TL. Others need an arm around their shoulder so to speak. A coach has to be a good judge of which is the best method for every player in his team.

The players who annoyed me the most are the naturally talented who Coast through games and make little or no effort to get better. The ones I enjoyed coaching were the less talented ones who listen to everything you say, and make a conscious effort to improve and generally they do.
Or the naturally talented that goes missing in defence, shuns the hard runs against strong forwards (hiding out on the wing), and fucks about every training session. Yet never get dropped because they're the most skillful/coaches kid/kid of a whingeing parent. And then get awards from people who only pay attention to the 5mins flash of brilliance in a game.

Not that its a sore point with me or anything...

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was there a good half last year. They have all
Been shit for long time and the one that got the most games out of them all was averillo. He did nothing to keep his spot so he has been given the flick. Should’ve happened long time ago
No there wasn't but there was the absolute worst one and that was Flannagan. I cannot believe anyone would want to replace Averillo with Flannagan

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Or the naturally talented that goes missing in defence, shuns the hard runs against strong forwards (hiding out on the wing), and fucks about every training session. Yet never get dropped because they're the most skillful/coaches kid/kid of a whingeing parent. And then get awards from people who only pay attention to the 5mins flash of brilliance in a game.

Not that its a sore point with me or anything...
My biggest problem with talented but lazy players, was more prevalent while coaching cricket than in Rugby League. My best experience in Rugby League was coaching a team who were bottom the year before. Got them to nearly make the semis the 1st year, beaten in a Preliminary Final in extra time the next year, and Premiers the 3rd year. A number of those players are now coaching junior teams. Every now and then I go and watch their teams play.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently Flanagan has been as good and he's fresh off a motm performance with 2 try assists. He also took charge on monday and racked up like 20+ extra possessions with Wakeham gone....sooo he could be back soon :tearsofjoy:
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

In all honesty i still don't know why Averillo was dropped. 2 rounds is ridiculous, if anything JMK should've gone before him given the one stifling our attack is poor service at DH

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
did you watch the reserve grade game last week that wakeham apparently killed it?
the break he made the defender was called offside so he simply strolled through to set up the try. Yes he put a good grubber through for a try but not much else and it was reserve grade against a shit canberra side.
TB shit his pants and should have not made a change for last week and it cost us a win and the worst performance of the season
I didn't say Wakeham was amazing, hence why i said apparently as i didn't actually catch the game. I don't agree with Averillo being dropped either, 2 rounds when a team is still gelling is a massive knee jerk reaction and if anything JMK should've been going to the bench for Cook or BBO because it's really that absolutely dead slow passing from dummy half that's killing any sort of momentum we have, and JMK hasn't been going poorly either, he just can't pass properly, by the time anyone receives the ball the defense is already up in their faces

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

In all honesty i still don't know why Averillo was dropped. 2 rounds is ridiculous, if anything JMK should've gone before him given the one stifling our attack is poor service at DH
Yh it was a ridiculous decision, Jake wasn't great but wasn't anywhere near as bad as people were trying to make out. Hooker is still the biggest problem like you mentioned, JMK has been making breaks and it looks good on paper but his service really is a killer. The only thing saving him is that we don't really have another option, BBO can't do the minutes and Cook apparently hasn't impressed much in reserves. At least hooker is addressed for next year..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh it was a ridiculous decision, Jake wasn't great but wasn't anywhere near as bad as people were trying to make out. Hooker is still the biggest problem like you mentioned, JMK has been making breaks and it looks good on paper but his service really is a killer. The only thing saving him is that we don't really have another option, BBO can't do the minutes and Cook apparently hasn't impressed much in reserves. At least hooker is addressed for next year..
Do you reckon that JMK could turn into a ball playing lock for us next year ?

Baz seems to want that style of player but Jacko just isnt it. JMK isnt good enough to be a top class hooker but I reckon he could fill that role (similar to what Newcastle have done with Kurt Mann). Obviously he would have to bulk up but so did Mann.

Not sure where that leaves Jacko but he is killing us in that position.