Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
really good point and agreed. paying them probably 30% of the salary combined.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He took himself out mate - he retired with a year to run on his deal. Whilst I’m sure the club were glad to make some cap savings based on his output - it also made things harder by there being so few replacement options in such a tight market. So I don’t think it’s a blunder by the club - they’re playing the hand they were dealt - and obviously will be looking for a mid-season pick-up ASAP - a decent chance someone ‘homesick’ will become available, just have to wait.
I agree bro. TPJ loss was unexpected and not the clubs fault. I’m just not sure if the OP logic that Gus loss makes up stronger in the middle when we haven’t replaced him

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’re right, poor choice of words… it was clear TPJ had other goals and Thommo offered little value. After that was clear, we probably needed a good contingency plan up front since Pele also left for the Super League leaving us thin… easier said then done though given how scarce the market is… in some way, I think the scarcity was probably unexpected by Gus but he’ll have a plan B, C, D and E up his sleeve - clever operator.
I think that like all positions, we will be looking to promote from within. This needs to be clear to anyone in the club who aspires to playing fg NRLol. The battle for positions will also work in our favour. All this being said, we will struggle to make the 8, and will probably miss out, but so long as we start to play like a real football team, fix our defense, and win more games then last year I will be happy.
Every year a smoke proves all the doubters wrong. Let's hope it's us!

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You should ask yourself how many good games did TPJ have.
Less than you can count on one hand more so saying despite such he was the only one that could dent the line. He could do what the other middles couldn’t shame his attitude was dog crap.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are seriously outgunned for middles. Our top 3 middles king Sutton and knight all wouldnt even be gauranteed a bench spot at any other club in the comp. Whats Paul vaughan up to this yr?
Can you imagine if they get injured? Who would even play in their place

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whilst our middles have queries going into 2024, we should be excited by our back row contingent of Kikau, Preston and Curran, these three blokes in the red zone are going to wreak havoc - it’s just getting to the red zone that worries me with no go forward.
Top 8 back row for sure. We all know tho, we need 1 top prop and we will push hard for finals. The game has not changed since 1908

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It might be time to look at a few left-field options. Tom Amone has just had a huge season in the Super League and made their Dream Team for the year as one of the props. He was the top metre maker in the whole competition and he was one of Leigh's main players in winning the Challenge Cup final and coming fifth in their first season back in the Super League.

Not only is he a strong runner of the ball but he can slip a very good pass and hits hard in defence. He did play NRL for Souths and Wests and didn't establish himself despite showing some potential. However, he looks like he has come a long way in the past couple of years.

Gould has a very strong relationship with Leigh's coach Adrian Lam who credits him with being one of the reasons he moved into coaching. Maybe he could use that as leverage as a player like Amone wouldn't cost a fortune and could be a handy pick up. I can't find any details regarding his current contract but with options seeming very thin at present, it might be worth exploring.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It might be time to look at a few left-field options. Tom Amone has just had a huge season in the Super League and made their Dream Team for the year as one of the props. He was the top metre maker in the whole competition and he was one of Leigh's main players in winning the Challenge Cup final and coming fifth in their first season back in the Super League.

Not only is he a strong runner of the ball but he can slip a very good pass and hits hard in defence. He did play NRL for Souths and Wests and didn't establish himself despite showing some potential. However, he looks like he has come a long way in the past couple of years.

Gould has a very strong relationship with Leigh's coach Adrian Lam who credits him with being one of the reasons he moved into coaching. Maybe he could use that as leverage as a player like Amone wouldn't cost a fortune and could be a handy pick up. I can't find any details regarding his current contract but with options seeming very thin at present, it might be worth exploring.
UK Super league is an option for recruiting, but what I don’t understand is why we haven’t poked around Rugby Union circles for giant mobile forwards who are in abundance, not to mention, they don’t get payed very well unless playing in Europe competitions or Internationally for England, All Blacks or Australia. 190cm+ 120kg+ forwards are everywhere in that sport, League would be an easy transition for them especially given we enforce a 10m or 15m defensive line as opposed to 5m in rugby where forwards get pumped almost at a standing start.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but couldn’t see a better thread for this.. my wife was out for lunch with her siblings yesterday and they ran into one of her brother’s mates who in turn is mates with Liam Knight who was there too. Wifey said he was the nicest guy, she told him I’m a diehard Dogs fan and could they just win a few more this year to make her life a bit more bearable at home. He said not to worry, they all know how painful the last few years have been and “they will surprise a few people this year”. Of course I asked her why didn’t you call me (or invite me to lunch for that matter) so I could grill him, but thought I’d pass this on anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
UK Super league is an option for recruiting, but what I don’t understand is why we haven’t poked around Rugby Union circles for giant mobile forwards who are in abundance, not to mention, they don’t get payed very well unless playing in Europe competitions or Internationally for England, All Blacks or Australia. 190cm+ 120kg+ forwards are everywhere in that sport, League would be an easy transition for them especially given we enforce a 10m or 15m defensive line as opposed to 5m in rugby where forwards get pumped almost at a standing start.
Union forwards, especially props and hookers, find it very difficult to transition to League. League players have a different kind of fitness from union players. Union props are selected and condition for short burst of upper body strength and power, push in scrums, rucks and mauls, lifting in line outs, Union has a 5 metre rule, so no run ups. Ball park, in League the ball is in play for around 65 of the 80 minutes whilst in Union it's around 35 minutes. A while back the All Blacks had a KPI of allowing the ball to be inn play for less than 25 minutes.

Union Flankers transition to League 2nd rowers far easier than props and backs transition even easier.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Union forwards, especially props and hookers, find it very difficult to transition to League. League players have a different kind of fitness from union players. Union props are selected and condition for short burst of upper body strength and power, push in scrums, rucks and mauls, lifting in line outs, Union has a 5 metre rule, so no run ups. Ball park, in League the ball is in play for around 65 of the 80 minutes whilst in Union it's around 35 minutes. A while back the All Blacks had a KPI of allowing the ball to be inn play for less than 25 minutes.

Union Flankers transition to League 2nd rowers far easier than props and backs transition even easier.

Always a Bulldog
I get your point on fitness given the differing game styles, but I’m not sure you understand the game of Rugby Union in detail, those forwards don’t get subbed after 20-30 mins like a lot of props do in the NRL modern era, their are also times they are attacking or defending for 12+ phases straight through the forwards - that takes an amazing amount of effort…. Are you saying NRL teams can’t find players like Leo Thompson or his twin Tyrone Thompson somewhere in the world to successfully transition? (in Leo’s case, is a proven success having played for the Kiwis already?)

I’d also say confidently that most rugby Union forwards would have better stamina than Franklin Pele so it’s not exactly a massive gamble regarding fitness in my opinion….

I stand by the notion if there’s athletes playing a sport similar to Rugby League and the positional role (in the forwards) is similar to rugby league (i.e. straight hit ups and dominant tackles) why is that not a plausible option for us to seriously look into??

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you imagine if they get injured? Who would even play in their place
King and Knight have been quite injury prone also which is concerning. There was a prop called Gordon whippy still available (crazy I know, thought there was nothing available) to sign in November who we really shouldve gone hard for but the tigers signed him late Nov. He is a prop who couldve handled first grade from r1 this yr and been a real asset for us