Josh Addo-Carr is the most talented winger the Bulldogs have ever had

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No doubt, he was very good but in a very good team at the time. Sherwin set up a lot of tries with deft grubber kicks, for the wingers to counter the umbrella defence that was common in those days. Utai did well off the back of those kicks.
He also busted tackles like no other winger we’ve had from memory.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
JAC is the very best winger to play for the club period.
He's already on 21 tries after one season and six games. Matt Utai is 10th in the overall try scorers list with 71 tries, JAC should halve that before the end of the season.

No other winger in the history of the bulldogs has the ability that JAC had to turn half chances into points. You give him space down the sideline and 90% of the time he's going to convert that chance into points.
I also think the impact he has on the whole team/club with his positive vibe is very underestimated.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As someone who has supported the dogs since the 70’s fox has a few in front of him.
Hazem
Anderson
Utai
Rhodes - before my time but club legend
Obrien
Mat Ryan
Farrar
Gearin
Dallas
P Mortimer
I’ll second Rhodes being on the best Bulldogs wingers list, along with Greaves made an awesome centre wing combination. He played 8 times for NSW (pre SOO) and QLD plus 11 tests for Australia. Lightning fast with a step of both sides, was always in the right position to take advantage and was mistake free. A very worthy candidate.

Always a Bulldog

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it you didn't write a thesis on it?
Lol I didn’t. Can you imagine if I submitted an essay on Mrs T****r getting pumped by Matt Ryan’s big D?
I would be kicked out of uni!
Unles she marked it.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ashame he is not playing anymore tomorrow night just got withdrawn after the latest training run. Oh well better he doesn’t RE inure himself

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ll second Rhodes being on the best Bulldogs wingers list, along with Greaves made an awesome centre wing combination. He played 8 times for NSW (pre SOO) and QLD plus 11 tests for Australia. Lightning fast with a step of both sides, was always in the right position to take advantage and was mistake free. A very worthy candidate.

Always a Bulldog
Agree with Johnny Rhodes, blinding speed.
Jason Williams in the 90's. Great step and speed.
Steve O'brien was in the great 80's teams and was very elusive.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh disappointing news Re JAC but don’t want to take any risks with him.

Hopefully he gets some game time next week before the by in a fortnight.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, he was very good but in a very good team at the time. Sherwin set up a lot of tries with deft grubber kicks, for the wingers to counter the umbrella defence that was common in those days. Utai did well off the back of those kicks.
Utai was unstoppable, pity coaches realised he was 5 foot and had no vertical and started Air raids on his wing

But That Sherwin el magic Combo

1683855707117.gif

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Either Ross Conlon or Daryl Halligan for me. To be that slow and still getting selected to play on the wing for your country has to be respected.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way you rate a player is largely subjective. Speed in a winger is always a massive asset. But there are plenty of wingers that excelled without having blistering pace. Some would argue that those without blistering pace are better.

Some wingers excel due to being stronger, others more elusive, some just seem to have great ability to read the defence and the presence of mind to know where their support will be at all times. So to say one is ultimately the best ever to play for us is dependent on what you like in a winger.

For what it's worth I liked a number of them for us.

Hazem- Not the quickest or the strongest, but very elusive and in my opinion a great reader of the game which allowed him to excel when faster bigger or stronger athletes were beginning to dominate the game.

Utai- Also did very well despite not being lightning quick. He was fast, but the little bugger was a tank and had the strength to make up for his lack of height. Unfortunately he fell off a bit before the end of his career.

Halligan- Probably among the slower wingers we had, but was still quality. Get him within 5 metres of the try line and her find a way to reach out and ground the ball.

Dallas- Was very sad when he left the club. Absolute speedster with a bit of size about him. He was basically the prototype for what wingers are now.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with Johnny Rhodes, blinding speed.
Jason Williams in the 90's. Great step and speed.
Steve O'brien was in the great 80's teams and was very elusive.
I never saw Rhodes, i do know of Johnny Greaves whom someone else mentioned.
Steven O'Brien was a very good winger built low to the ground played a bit like Grothe with a similar running style iirc, just not as devastating as EG..also a good looking rooster too.
For mine Jason Williams was great I loved watching him play your spot on in saying he was super elusive..not many better in and aways combined with speed too.
I was there the day when his late 60+ metre burst down the left wing got us into position for Dazza to kick the winning fg in the 94 Grand final qualifier against Cantbearem(wont talk about the actual grand final disaster uugghh)..not saying he was best ever at all but he was a beauty imo.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either Ross Conlon or Daryl Halligan for me. To be that slow and still getting selected to play on the wing for your country has to be respected.
Both great goal kickers but slow used to run up and down on the one spot for 2 minutes. Halligan great positional sense and strong defensively scored plenty of tries but if had to run more than 10 metres he was in trouble.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he plays at his best for the Bulldogs and we win a comp while he is here then he has a chance to go down as the greatest winger the club has ever had.

We've never had a winger with his speed and skill levels before. Just him on the field opens up spaces for others around him.

He is also a winner and hopefully a culture changer.

I'm very excited at what he brings to the club.
Steve Gearin!!