John Bateman

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I love the honesty of Bateman telling like it is and it's refreshing to see Canberra being so understanding and honest about the whole situation.

Bateman comes across as very genuine and I'd rather have a player not make up bullshit excuses about being homesick, wanting to get a fresh start etc when it's about nothing else but more money. At least Bateman admitted it's all about money.

We absolutely have to pounce and lock him up for four years in his prime and use the cap space by continually taking advantage of other clubs cap problems.
I'd personally prefer 3 years tbh.

Dogsarnthavingaparty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You got it mate. Well done.
I wouldn’t have Tolman or Elliott near our starting team. Would be lucky to make the bench. JT is also the best running forward I’ve ever seen and would give him any fucking jersey he wants
Powder puff tolman your kidding he is shit Batman shits on all our forwards

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So would I. But he said he wants four and I wouldn't play games and fuck around and risk him going elsewhere.

He's only 26 and as we know with every other contract for every player these days, who knows if he'll even see out the full contract wherever he signs.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goin' by his words I reckon he's on the verge of signing elsewhere. Fingers crossed

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are a good, really good chance with our other english import coming also, id also imagine he has bent james grahams ear about our club also. id also pay a little overs for jake friend next.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
6AC59604-2B5E-4DDA-B303-E7667C54B5B1.jpeg

She’s my girl’: Bateman opens up on contract drama as Raiders admit they may lose him

Canberra star John Bateman has opened up on the controversy surrounding his contract situation, while the Raiders have admitted they may not be able to keep him on their books.

Foxsports.com.au reported during the week Bateman had requested a release from the Raiders a number of times since last year’s grand final.

The English backrower denied that report in a pointed tweet, but Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper doubled down on the story when speaking on radio on Sunday.

It’s believed Bateman is on about $600,000 in Canberra but could earn upwards of $800,000 at a rival club, and the Bulldogs and Dragons are two parties reportedly interested in his services.

In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald on Sunday, Bateman explained why he shouldn’t be painted as “greedy” for exploring the rugby league marketplace.

“Tell me which person in day to day life wouldn’t think about leaving their job if they could get more money for potentially double the length of time? Of course you think about it,” Bateman said.

“It doesn’t mean I want to leave, but you look into it. I’m sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping something does change at Canberra.

“When I’m 45 and struggling to stand up, or trying to put my daughter through university, no one is going to ring me and say ‘you know that extra few hundred grand you were hoping to get? We’ve got it for you now’.

“She’s my girl. That’s who I wake up every day for. That’s the reason I go to work, to give her the best life possible.

“I’ll stand by that, no matter what people call me. She’s my number one. I’ve travelled all the way to the other side of the world and miss her growing up, so I want to make sure my sacrifice is worth it.”

Bateman says his priority is to stay in Canberra but currently the club won’t be able to afford him beyond his current contract. He’s even a chance of leaving a year early if the club agrees to release him.

He’s been given written permission to speak to other clubs, but says he won’t rush into a decision and wants to give the Raiders every opportunity to come to the party.

“I thought I had a pretty good year last year and Canberra said ‘yeah, you went pretty well, but we don’t really have much for you in 2021’,” Bateman said.

“In 2022 they didn’t have anything. If I extend, I want to extend four years. I want to stay here. This is where I want to be. I’ve got half of England here playing with me. It’s a home away from home.

“Canberra said they might be able to get me a deal for 2022 if I wait and see what happens, but to be honest with you I wanted the security in my job.”

Canberra boss Don Furner told the Herald the club wants to keep Bateman but simply won’t be able to afford his asking price.

“The average footballer has four years in the NRL, but you and me have 40 years in our careers,” Furner said.

“I would never begrudge the bloke trying to get what he can. Rick [coach Ricky Stuart] loves the bloke, but the reality is it’s going to be very very difficult to keep him.

“If we can keep him, we would, but our hands are tied with the roster we have and the emergence of so many of our players.

“I’ve told him if he can get a good deal that I would drive him there myself.”

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it’s definite he won’t be at the Canberra Raiders in season 2021 going from Furners statement in regards to not being able to afford Batemans asking price, so it’s a matter of who Bateman will line up for now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's it ! Said it yesterday money and his daughter will be the deciding factor... If our board get outbidded by the dragons I'll be pissed. We talk about bulldog DNA this fucker has it in spades.
If Dragons throw out a 850k bid or better what do we do? It's out of the clubs hands at that point. I really hope he picks us over the Dragons for the same amount tho.

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rather fifita ...............
If Dragons throw out a 850k bid or better what do we do? It's out of the clubs hands at that point. I really hope he picks us over the Dragons for the same amount tho.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This guy is missing his daughters upbringing ..
He won’t see out a 4yr contract if his daughter stays in England..
Alot will change in her life within 4yrs and he will want to be a part of it,and likely return to the ESL if he can break his contract after 2yrs..
Unless his new club can make it possible for him to spend time with her multiple times a year..
I don’t know why,but I see him going to the Dragons before us..
James Graham still plays there,and Widdop just left there..for the English connection..
Hope I am wrong though on all points,as I would love to see him in the Blue and White..
I think his new club will get him for 3M over 4yrs..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Bateman would be ineffective with the current squad we have. I dont know why we are focusing on forwards when our spine and centres the main issue.
If it's a like for like with CHN or we also get a really big Papalii bopper to biggen the pack it is a good signing.

you are right though, he is in the Jackson, Tolman family group. Hard workers and busy players. We need some punch though. The Pritchard/Rauhihi/Mason/Clyde/Shrek/Eastwood effect to pounce on what these guys can do.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If it's a like for like with CHN or we also get a really big Papalii bopper to biggen the pack it is a good signing.

you are right though, he is in the Jackson, Tolman family group. Hard workers and busy players. We need some punch though. The Pritchard/Rauhihi/Mason/Clyde/Shrek/Eastwood effect to pounce on what these guys can do.
Jackson and Tolman family group?

Bateman can do everything. He's a class above and that's why he deserves a bigger contract. Second Rower of the year last year (over Fifita btw).

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Another one we should look at is Alex walmsley if we can import poms this season.

No English footy atm. Feel me?

bring him out as a hitman for half a season. Maybe he likes it and we have him next year.

imagine a lineup of;
Walmsley
JMK
Napa
Bateman
Jackson
Thompson

forward pack of the year.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt he last 2 seasons at his next club. With his daughter in England as soon as Wigan get desperate and make him a franchise player he will be back over there. As he’s stated he’s all about earning as much as he can as quick as he can

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fucking sign him. Family values big tick for our DNA test surely.

Chn gone he’s perfect replacement and I’d imagine considering des rated tolman the best prop in the game him And Chn money would cover most of Thompson and Bateman.

Those 2 in over tolman and Chn is a huge step forward and probz not much more $!

Don’t fluff it up or drag your feet board.

Get his signature and then go hard at cotric and addo carr for the warchest and Jake friend for a year or Watson for hooker ffs.

Dwz/Meaney
Smith
Hoppa
Cotric
Addo carr
Wakeham

Foran on 400k tops if there is no one else still gives us 800k back which pays addo carr and cotric almost ffs

Thompson
Friend/watson
Napa
Bateman
Jackson
Elliott

Renouf
Britt
Rfm/Stimson/Smith/Ogden
Jmk

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canberra let Bateman go and extend Cotric is what will happen I would guess

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Throw RT Onto an edge and avo In FB and dwz in the centres. If that works out go buy a gun 5/8 or hooker or a FB if avo doesn't work out. There is still pitavao, doorey and another young gun I forgot his name coming through too so we may get away in the back row in the years to come.

Should really be working on the spine before anything really..

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw RT Onto an edge and avo In FB and dwz in the centres. If that works out go buy a gun 5/8 or hooker or a FB if avo doesn't work out. There is still pitavao, doorey and another young gun I forgot his name coming through too so we may get away in the back row in the years to come.

Should really be working on the spine before anything really..
Topine?