Opinion JMK-TONIGHT'S GAME

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fair enough.. I'm just saying most people weren't waiting for JMK to fail. I was hopeful he'd improve under Baz. Maybe he will as the season goes on. But tonight he still looked ordinary. I agree it was a shit, sloppy game but I don't think JMK played well whereas some others did.
That’s all good. I personally didn’t think he was that bad but I’m open to agreeing to disagree. I think under our own set structures, using him the way Baz wants to use him, then we definitely should see improvement. It was a bit of a shit show tonight, had 4 running playmakers in Benji, CNK, JMK himself and Luai, it was a bit clunky for JMK.

With someone like Flanagan and Allen being able to ball play in our structures, I see people being pleasantly surprised by Marshall King this year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Was that the Badge sitting with Daley in the coaches box? Did he have an official role?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Possibly something better to come from JMK under our team structures.

He probably needs to get specific simple instructions bc he really doesn't appear to have any natural instinct for dummy half play.

It doesn't look like he will be helping the halfback much. Benji got up him and they had a laugh about it on Ch9.
His main issue is his service. His passes are rarely out in front. Every forward or half has to briefly stop on their run to catch it which gives them less time and limits the impact they make.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s all good. I personally didn’t think he was that bad but I’m open to agreeing to disagree. I think under our own set structures, using him the way Baz wants to use him, then we definitely should see improvement. It was a bit of a shit show tonight, had 4 running playmakers in Benji, CNK, JMK himself and Luai, it was a bit clunky for JMK.

With someone like Flanagan and Allen being able to ball play in our structures, I see people being pleasantly surprised by Marshall King this year.
Hopefully you're right. Flanagan will be doing almost all of the kicking and most of the playmaking. So we need JMK and Katoa's sevice to be sharp to Flanagan as teams will be rushing up on him knowing he's the dominant half.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His main issue is his service. His passes are rarely out in front. Every forward or half has to briefly stop on their run to catch it which gives them less time and limits the impact they make.
Why can't the coaches see it.

Why don't the forwards mention it in scuttlebutt that gets back to the coaches.

It's crazy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why can't the coaches see it.

Why don't the forwards mention it in scuttlebutt that gets back to the coaches.

It's crazy.
I'm sure they're aware of it. But to be fair, JMK isn't a natural hooker and only started playing there a few seasons ago. So maybe it's just not something that comes naturally to him.

Passing off the ground and throwing it out is an underrated skill. You don't appreciate it fully until you don't have it from your hooker. Hetherington and Adam Perry's service was impeccable.. So was Ennis'.. We sorely miss that reliability from our hookers.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ was good tonight too which was encouraging to see.
I agree.
I have been & am a strong critic of DWZs performances over the last year or so, particularly for the $$ he is on. I remember the excitement I had when it was announced that he had signed for us, I was stoked cuz he went hard, despite the occasional mistake. In his time with us those mistakes have multiplied to the point I hold my breath every time he is near the ball expecting a mistake.
Tonight aside from the brain snap that had him put on report I thought he had a solid game. Particularly with the wet conditions, I dont recall any of the handling errors that have been a blight on his time with us.
I hope the positives from tonight continue for the rest of the season & I can get back to the point at the time of his signature that had me happy to have him as a dog!

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preconceived bias? Lol. It's pretty simple, name a team JMK starts at hooker for? Now try and name a team he even makes their 17? Nothing more to it, people just want better players playing for us.
Yeah but who else is available? They tried with Grant, Koroisau, even Reece Robson. No luck. You want the club to slit their wrists over that? Don’t get me wrong I want the club to sign a hooker more than anything, but no one is available. I guess people here look for any opportunity to have a whinge......

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Am I missing something? No one hear has death ridden jmk.

The bloke who said he hopes he break a leg has rightly copped a flogging.

I called him out on that in the thread he did. It’s disgusting.

I don’t hate jmk. Though as I said it’s the same as Holland, montoya, Lewis and back in the day the Hickey, Nanai, winatana, youngquest etc blokes who got paid to play first grade and where kissed on the dick to do so.

He was woeful tonight. Isaac luke is past it, carrying some weight and still was far better.

To put it into reality he is not in nrl anymore he’s contracted to reserve grade....

Beast mode is spot on. Jmk would struggle to make the 17 anywhere!!!

I don’t begrudge him for making money playing a game he loves. Clearly he trains his ass off.

Though sadly for us, he is not first grade standard. I want to see us compete. We need a quality 9 urgently.

I don’t think Allan is a top fullback. Though he is first grade worthy in my opinion.

Burton and Flanagan certainly I have hopes for helping lock down 3/4 of the spine.

We need a hooker urgently. Have for years.

Jmk won’t get a gig like Holland when he was off.

I also am stating Dwz played reasonably well, the penalty was messy and stupid. Could miss a week for nothing other than stupidity. Had one bad d read I saw to. Though think he was left fucked without manu (must of been infield)

Otherwise he was solid.

Topine was solid for limited minutes and shown great promise. Though appears as expected
To need time and size to handle the big boys at least with ball in hand. Didn’t bend the line and couldn’t break it.

Defensively Very well handled again for limited minutes. Promising prospect.

Chris smith looked like a plodder of the highest order which is disappointing as last years game he looked great before injury. I think he’s a bloke who just won’t kick on. Could be wrong just a feeling.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to go all in for B.Smith or snag a decent hooker from somewhere like Robson who may become surplus soon.. JMK is a great kid, can defend like hell but not an ounce of attacking nous in him and a premiership winning hooker he aint.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but who else is available? They tried with Grant, Koroisau, even Reece Robson. No luck. You want the club to slit their wrists over that? Don’t get me wrong I want the club to sign a hooker more than anything, but no one is available. I guess people here look for any opportunity to have a whinge......
Robson might beomce available due to Cotter's rise..

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Jmk was avge at best as per usual. Gonna be a long season with him at half. Has no creativity, no vision, poor service from dummy half.
Can't do worse by giving Wakeham a go at some point if he isn't being used in the halves.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jmk was avge at best as per usual. Gonna be a long season with him at half. Has no creativity, no vision, poor service from dummy half.
Can't do worse by giving Wakeham a go at some point if he isn't being used in the halves.
Wakeham would get eaten alive. Are you forgetting the defensive workload of a hooker ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For those saying too many people are too negative towards JMK, DWZ was also a much maligned player last year but he's been praised by most people for playing well tonight. So that shows that it's not all negative and not everyone has a vendetta.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I only watched the last 15-20 minutes of the game after work. One positive from that limited bit of game time I watched with JMK was that he seems to be quite willing to run from dummy half compared to the past. So I'd assume that Barrett has identified his pace and ability in this regard and has him primed to use it more in games this year. A couple of his passes weren't ideally placed to aid in the forwards momentum. But this is his first game of the year and I'm sure that it'll improve by round 1.

I only saw Topine touch the ball once. Looked decent in that one touch threatening the line. I don't recall seeing DWZ with the ball.

Just glad I haven't logged in to hear that we copped any injury.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
For those saying too many people are too negative towards JMK, DWZ was also a much maligned player last year but he's been praised by most people for playing well tonight. So that shows that it's not all negative and not everyone has a vendetta.
I thought I read posts saying how stupid he was