News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

liambritemmy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Would the daily telegraph be dumb enough to have a financial input into this case?, let's face it any negative news about the dogs sells

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cool. Then its ok then for a player to commit suicide because of the club?

This was kept under wraps when RFM blew up - as Gus said - mental health. Now I suspect the kid is getting some atrocious advice from someone and has gone legal. Got to remember he's only 22 ffs. 1st grade debut at 19. Club man of the year b4 he even played 1st grade. Yeah - real bog.

Whatever is going on is bigger than this court case. You don't go from bright young thing to outcast overnight without something doing in the background. And like most mental health problems, a circumstance brings the broader issue to light. In this case, I suspect the circumstance was that training session.

Dogs would have professional indemnity so they aren't gunna pay a cent on this. Dogs have public opinion, media and the NRL on their side so they aren't losing there either. So why exactly are you and just about everyone else laying into a kid who Gus has suggested has mental health issues significant enough that the Dogs, per Gus's words, provided the kid the support he needs? 4 kicks maybe?

Fckng lol.
So taking the club to court, being hammered in the media and by the fans and ruining his career by doing this as no club will want to go near him now somehow helps his "mental health" does it?

Just admit that he and his manager, lawyers see an opportunity to get as much money as possible out of a situation that happens to every player at every club. Claiming abuse, torment and mental health issues caused by the club, trainer and coaches is laughable and just a tactic to get more money..

Like Anasta said, if they rule in his favour, then every player at every club in every sport could sue for the same thing.

LadWriter1

Waterboy
Reaction score

Last year, Rfm talking about playing finals footy in his captain’s initiation speech. Seems odd considering the season hadn’t even started yet. This bitch and the other bitches that were booted weren’t willing to put the hard work in to actually get there. All power to the club for backing themselves, the culture had to change.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No idea. But rather than guessing who what and where, I'm happy to go with Gus's quotes on this.

And I'm also guessing you've never worked your ass off from probably the age of 6 towards something and then find its disappearing or not what you thought or whatever? When this blew up - he was 21. How many fckd up decisions did you make when you were 21?

And now - his mental health issues are bullshit. Good to know.
What the fuck are you talking about? He made the decision to not just keep training and playing or to try and find another club and get past whatever grievance he had and make the most out of his career. That was his choice.

Every person every day can claim to suffer from some form of mental health issues whether it's anxiety, depression etc. Maybe if he didn't go down this path and found happiness by playing at another club here or in the ESL etc, and not have his name tarnished by suing the club (and in essence the NRL as these practices happen at every club), then his mental health would be more likely to improve.

Conversely do you know the levels to which he has suffered and how legitimate those claims are? Have you ever been around people with schizophrenia, bi-polar, severe OCD/autism, dementia etc and seen how much those people struggle with real issues and how much they're families have to struggle with helping them? Because I have on multiple levels and this pales in comparison.

So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for a footy player that complained about having to train too hard and felt a little depressed because he's not good or tough enough to handle FG.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's ironic that we're talking about a professional athlete who plays the most brutal contact sport in the world having a sook for having to wrestle teammates for 15 minutes on the same day we pause and remember young men who got shot and killed doing their job over 100 years ago.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So taking the club to court, being hammered in the media and by the fans and ruining his career by doing this as no club will want to go near him now somehow helps his "mental health" does it?

Just admit that he and his manager, lawyers see an opportunity to get as much money as possible out of a situation that happens to every player at every club. Claiming abuse, torment and mental health issues caused by the club, trainer and coaches is laughable and just a tactic to get more money..

Like Anasta said, if they rule in his favour, then every player at every club in every sport could sue for the same thing.
So heres some facts for you.
Whatever happened at that training session caused a kid that was considered leadership material to walk.
It also caused 4 or 5 other players to basically go, nope too much. Including the Club Captain at the time.
For a workplace incident, Topine's name was all over socials within the month as the guy that wimped on a team punishment. So who leaked a mental health issue at the Dogs? You could argue his career got ruined the moment his name was in the public domain.

I'll spell it out again since you have a literacy problem. The case is a bit much and the kid has been poorly advised imv. But if there was no case at all, lawyers aren't taking it on and going to court. Coz they aren't getting paid.

As for Anasta, he can say what he likes. Last time I looked he's not a workplace lawyer so he can talk as a player as much as he wants.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Conversely do you know the levels to which he has suffered and how legitimate those claims are? Have you ever been around people with schizophrenia, bi-polar, severe OCD/autism, dementia etc and seen how much those people struggle with real issues and how much they're families have to struggle with helping them? Because I have on multiple levels and this pales in comparison.

So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for a footy player that complained about having to train too hard and felt a little depressed because he's not good or tough enough to handle FG.
Nope. But apparently you do.

Cannot script this shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever happened at that training session caused a kid that was considered leadership material to walk.
It also caused 4 or 5 other players to basically go, nope too much. Including the Club Captain at the time.
For a workplace incident, Topine's name was all over socials within the month as the guy that wimped on a team punishment. So who leaked a mental health issue at the Dogs? You could argue his career got ruined the moment his name was in the public domain.

I'll spell it out again since you have a literacy problem. The case is a bit much and the kid has been poorly advised imv. But if there was no case at all, lawyers aren't taking it on and going to court. Coz they aren't getting paid.

As for Anasta, he can say what he likes. Last time I looked he's not a workplace lawyer so he can talk as a player as much as he wants.
They have no case. Because doing these things is part of what every player has done or has to do at times. Wrestling is part of their training. Plus one of the players was Nu Brown who has been at 5 clubs in 2 years... Just because players complain doesn't mean that they have a case.. Players complain at every club when they fall out of favour...

It's no coincidence that we get rid of players like RFM, Brown, Okunbur etc who were lazy on the field and not good enough, replace them with true professionals that have an unwavering work ethic, and now we're one of the most competitive teams in the comp week to week and the best defensive team in the comp after conceding over 30 points a game last year.

Everyone has bought in. No one has complained about the training methods. And the results are showing on the field. So maybe it's more on Topine, Brown, RFM etc and their shitty attitude than any fault of the club itself?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I would say sports environment is similar to army workplace, and setting discipline seems ok there, unless they are given special leniency. Also it's not bullying/harrasment if the whole squad is set to the same standard. The NRL is clearly not for topine

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nope. But apparently you do.

Cannot script this shit.
I'm not saying he's got no issues. I'm saying that they've not been caused or worsened by having to do what every other player at every other club has done for years. Which is why there is no case.

If there was, then why doesn't every other player that has had to endure such horrific punishments over a century of Rugby League having the same mental health issues from being asked to train harder?

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Topines name was ruined as soon as his people leaked the story to the telegraph. The club was sorting it out behind closed doors. There could have been an amicable split, with none of this getting out, and Topine could have gone to another club with all this being sorted out.

When the story was release everyone raved about the anonymity of it all. Yet all it took was to look at the team lists and join the dots. He has been poorly advised on this by his people.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Topines name was ruined as soon as his people leaked the story to the telegraph. The club was sorting it out behind closed doors. There could have been an amicable split, with none of this getting out, and Topine could have gone to another club with all this being sorted out.

When the story was release everyone raved about the anonymity of it all. Yet all it took was to look at the team lists and join the dots. He has been poorly advised on this by his people.
This is on buzz who as always will never be held accountable.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
They have no case. Because doing these things is part of what every player has done or has to do at times. Wrestling is part of their training. Plus one of the players was Nu Brown who has been at 5 clubs in 2 years... Just because players complain doesn't mean that they have a case.. Players complain at every club when they fall out of favour...

It's no coincidence that we get rid of players like RFM, Brown, Okunbur etc who were lazy on the field and not good enough, replace them with true professionals that have an unwavering work ethic, and now we're one of the most competitive teams in the comp week to week and the best defensive team in the comp after conceding over 30 points a game last year.

Everyone has bought in. No one has complained about the training methods. And the results are showing on the field. So maybe it's more on Topine, Brown, RFM etc and their shitty attitude than any fault of the club itself?
Or the Dogs fckd up and now if you are late for training you get to dye your hair white. I don't pretend to know exactly what happened and why. You seem to though - please share your sources.

Unless you are talking your opinion again. So we wait to see what the court case is about. Not that anyone will ever know - guarantee the Dogs settle out of court with no blame and non disclosures.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. September last year.
There is a huge, Grand Canyon sized, difference between working in a commercial business and competing in professional sports like rugby league. Employees in the average commercial business are not expected to tackle 100+kg players 30/40/50 times a game running at them at pace. Stop their progress and then wrestle them to the ground. They are also expected to do the reverse and run at 2/3/4 100+kg tacklers 20/30/40 times a game. That requires both physical and mental toughness, endurance and an unbelievably high pain tolerance.

When training, employees or players, the training regimen has to represent what they will encounter during their working day. To do otherwise would negate the effect of the training. From what we have heard from multiple sources there was nothing in the disciplinary action that deviated from the common training practises for NRL players that are undertaken by all NRL Clubs.

Of course this would be considered unacceptable in a non professional sports environment, but such a comparison is meaningless. If I were on our legal defence team the first thing I would do is to take the moderator/judge to an average high intensity Tuesday/Wednesday training session and show them what an NRL player has to endure. That then would give them an appropriate lens to view this claim through.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I would say sports environment is similar to army workplace, and setting discipline seems ok there, unless they are given special leniency. Also it's not bullying/harrasment if the whole squad is set to the same standard. The NRL is clearly not for topine
Some of the practices regarding building trust and discipline in the Army are spine chillingly tougher than footy wrestling. Many many professions in life are far tougher than a footballer has to endure at training.

I feel so sorry for Jackson in not receiving conciliatory and strong mental health advice in how to deal with this incidents aftermath. Going about it by suing is the wrong way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Or the Dogs fckd up and now if you are late for training you get to dye your hair white. I don't pretend to know exactly what happened and why. You seem to though - please share your sources.

Unless you are talking your opinion again. So we wait to see what the court case is about. Not that anyone will ever know - guarantee the Dogs settle out of court with no blame and non disclosures.
They probably will settle for a small amount to make the story go away but it'd be for a fraction of the $4 million they're asking for. I'd be surprised if he got more than a few hundred k as that would be roughly what he was on per year.