News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we first heard the news of this i had a feeling this was coming.

I can imagine a precedent being set and we'll see a huge amount of change / introduction to new policies around player welfare / training etc moving forward.

Shame it had to be us tho.

No doubt RFM and the others who disappeared over the offseason will back topine so we better have some current players who wrestled him for example in our corner

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There were half a dozen way below nrl standard players last year, and he could not beat them for a first grade spot.
Think he realised that all the pumping up of his tyres his entire life to that point meant squat.
Reality set in.
And now he sues the club.
Keep hearing 21 years old.
Last I checked that’s grown man.
Make mistakes,sure.
The captain is 23 years old this year and has almost single handedly changed the culture.

the club doesn’t need to change its approach.
The clown sueing them does.
You know - u should check up some facts b4 u comment.

Topine's last game was the 15th July last year. He started. The wrestling incident was 3 days later.

Sort of destroys your first point doesn't it? And the rest, you are entitled to your opinion.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d suggest there’s a reason no settlement has been reached up to now and that’s that the club believes they have a strong position on the matter. They’ve publicly said they deny many of the allegations…
If the lawyer is asking for 4 million and he's stupid enough to have gone public with this, I'd say it's desperation times for him. Topine has probably exhausted his finances. He just smells deep pockets and he's thrown his client to the wolves to try and get access to those pockets.

He's probably as protected as he'll get in this matter. I doubt the club is going to counter sue for defamation unless it's possible to do so solely against his lawyer. Wed look like massive pricks suing Topine.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Quite a bit of new info in this latest Australian article:

Jackson Topine’s sacking by Phil Gould was ‘improper and contrary to law’

Phil Gould’s sacking of young Bulldogs player Jackson Topine, and his refusal to pay Topine’s ongoing medical bills while he was suffering “psychological injuries” as a result of a club punishment, was “improper … and contrary to law”, the player’s lawyers claim.
Gould, the NRL club’s football manager, sent an email to Topine’s manager last October stating the club would no longer pay him. The young second-rower received his last payment in November 2023, even though he was still receiving medical treatment after suffering a mental breakdown.

The revelations follow an investigation by The Australian that revealed Topine was allegedly forced to wrestle “30 to 35” of his clubmates after an already exhausting 90-minute wrestling session, as a penalty for being late.

Topine, who alleges he needed assistance to stand and walk at the end of the punishment, has launched a claim for damages against the Bulldogs for “psychiatric injury, deprivation of liberty, humiliation, indignity, physical exhaustion, physical discomfort, anxiety, embarrassment and fear,” as well as the loss of his livelihood.

Bulldogs chairman Adam Driussi said in a statement on Wednesday night the board had unanimously agreed it would “vigorously” defend the club and head trainer Travis Touma against Topine’s claim.

Gould declined to answer questions following a text message from The Australian.

Sources said the Canterbury club was “rattled” by the allegations revealed in The Australian on Wednesday – the Bulldogs have been accused of the “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment” of Topine, a former schoolboy captain of Australia who has now launched a $4m claim for compensation.

The Australian can now also reveal how Topine’s final days at the club were orchestrated by Gould. Last October, Gould sent an email to Topine’s manager saying that he needed “to get the matter sorted so we can all move on”, and that Topine’s next payment would be his last.

The Bulldogs separately claimed the club had “no ongoing obligation to continue paying (Topine’s) Playing Fee after the expiry of 8 days personal/sick leave” because “his underlying mental and cognitive conditions were not “sustained when training or playing for the club’”.
This is disputed by Topine, who claims he suffered greatly and was deeply humiliated and that it caused him the loss of his livelihood.

While the club claimed at the time that he left the session smiling and happy, club mates and friends told The Australian that he suffered a serious mental breakdown.

He went on sick leave the following week and has not trained or played since.
Last November, the club stopped all payments to him, including for his medical bills.

The NRL has not deregistered Topine and, along with its integrity unit, has repeatedly reached out to the player since the incident.
In legal documents exchanged between the club and Topine’s lawyers, obtained by the Australian, it’s claimed Gould in effect sacked the young player last October when he sent an email to his manager saying Topine was “obviously not coming back to play with the Bulldogs” in 2024 and that they needed to “move on”.

Moving on meant that the club would cut all payments to Topine, including his ongoing medical bills. However, in the same email Gould acknowledged Topine had a need for “continuing welfare and rehab programs”.
Topine’s lawyers claim that Gould’s email was “a final and unambiguous decision” to sack the young player.

“The decision, to say the least, was improper, unfounded in fact, and contrary to law,” Topine’s lawyers claim.
“Of course, it is unnecessary to consider what possible conduct could have allowed Mr Gould to have this subjective opinion … that there has been an absolute refusal” of Topine “to fulfil the terms of (his) contract. At very least the decision to assess if Topine was incapable of fulfilling his contract by turning up to training and playing – due to his psychological injuries sustained during the wrestling punishment – “necessarily required expert medical opinion”.

In the correspondence, the club claimed Topine had breached his contract by not previously notifying them of his existing “mental health conditions” and through “his persistent failure to respond to communications by the club in a timely manner (or at all).”
Mr Gould’s actions, Topine’s lawyers claim, resulted in him suffering “substantial loss and damage” following his sacking from his “only employment income source, at a time where his psychiatric/psychological condition” was severe.

These issues will now be thrashed out in the NSW Supreme Court, with the matter listed for June 13, where Topine’s lawyers will claim he is due more than $4m for his loss of earnings and the injuries he suffered.

They claim that his existing issues were exacerbated by the “assault” at the wrestling gym and that the club has treated Topine with “contumelious disregard”.

“Our client will be formally making a claim for damages (against the club) in due course,” the letter from Topine’s lawyers to the club says.

A number of players have since told The Australian that the Topine lawsuit was a “line in sand” moment, and that things needed to change regarding the poor treatment of players who saw their own clubs as being an “unsafe environment to disclose incidents”.
The club’s board met on Wednesday night to discuss the matters.
Gould was expected to address the board.
It’s funny that topine is the one that quit and he told his manager he doesn’t want to play for the dogs in 2024 but yet wants payment.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You know - u should check up some facts b4 u comment.

Topine's last game was the 15th July last year. He started. The wrestling incident was 3 days later.

Sort of destroys your first point doesn't it? And the rest, you are entitled to your opinion.
I think Topines mental health is real bro but when you sue for 4mil and your representation goes to the media to slander the club with allegations of deprivation of liberty and torture, you are inviting the public to comment

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Tassie Devil might have differing opinions on this as a form of punishment.
Firstly, I appreciate you tagging me into this conversation @Alan79

Too often sexual comments are directed at others without including me, which is greatly disappointing from my side.

I really need to draw the line here.

The whipping and banging in the arse was consensual. The complaints were made about the pouring of hot wax on the gentile area, which in retrospect was perhaps a step too far.

However, the whipping and banging in the arse was so successful that we actually introduced it as our prematch warmup.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I think Topines mental health is real bro but when you sue for 4mil and your representation goes to the media to slander the club with allegations of deprivation of liberty and torture, you are inviting the public to comment
Yeah fair play. But maybe thats why society is so shit. I was brought up if you haven't got something nice to say, STFU. So why do people have to comment? Especially when the 'facts' are whatever you read in the rags.

Guess it gets clicks.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To the same level as Topine? Guess we'll find out some actual facts in the court case.
It will be interesting to hear what the rest of the players that were there have to say, that's for sure

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear what the rest of the players that were there have to say, that's for sure
We'll never hear that. For players to speak out against a past player is a really bad thing imo and the club will definitely not allow it to happen?

I guess a court order can make it though?

The average Joe Blow who doesn't know footy will look at this case and slag off the Dogs. And I can understand why as on the surface it seems excessive, over the top and not alligned with modern day sport.

But ...

Dig beneath the surface and it's hard to support Topine on this?

Training needs to mirror the games, which is why it's supposed to be so hard. So, the argument can't be that this was excessive as the same rules apply to other players.

The only potential issue is that he was known for having mental health issues and the club overlooked that. However, at the same time this benefits the club as him having prior mental health issues, having a 'rap sheet' for coming late, showing a lack of attitude / application demonstrates that this 'one off wrestling' can't have caused all the mental anguise or whatever they're claiming.

Seems like a greedy so and so has got in his ear, and I'm not talking about the lawyer. Someone close had to push him onto the lawyer ...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this case gets up the next step might be players suing refs for getting sent off or binned.

How embarrassing for the poor player being singled out. We should get rid of penalties and six agains too while we're at it.

Then we can take away the premiership trophy and instead give all players a ribbon for participating.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If the lawyer is asking for 4 million and he's stupid enough to have gone public with this, I'd say it's desperation times for him. Topine has probably exhausted his finances. He just smells deep pockets and he's thrown his client to the wolves to try and get access to those pockets.

He's probably as protected as he'll get in this matter. I doubt the club is going to counter sue for defamation unless it's possible to do so solely against his lawyer. Wed look like massive pricks suing Topine.
I doubt the club will pursue anyone, more just defend its position until they back off as they haven't been able to settle. I just can’t see it proceeding to trial. Jackson looks like he’s gotten some poor advice to proceed with this in my view and all commentary so far seems to support the club. It‘s hard to fathom it would have played out this way but it appears documents have been filed - where else did the leak come from? I don’t recall anyone calling a press conference. A real mess.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The worst thing for topine is, even if he does get some money I can't see it helping his mental health whether he has issues now or not. He will be getting comments about it for the rest of his life. And if the court decides the punishment was reasonable and finds in the club's favour, it will be far worse.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We'll never hear that. For players to speak out against a past player is a really bad thing imo and the club will definitely not allow it to happen?

I guess a court order can make it though?

The average Joe Blow who doesn't know footy will look at this case and slag off the Dogs. And I can understand why as on the surface it seems excessive, over the top and not alligned with modern day sport.

But ...

Dig beneath the surface and it's hard to support Topine on this?

Training needs to mirror the games, which is why it's supposed to be so hard. So, the argument can't be that this was excessive as the same rules apply to other players.

The only potential issue is that he was known for having mental health issues and the club overlooked that. However, at the same time this benefits the club as him having prior mental health issues, having a 'rap sheet' for coming late, showing a lack of attitude / application demonstrates that this 'one off wrestling' can't have caused all the mental anguise or whatever they're claiming.

Seems like a greedy so and so has got in his ear, and I'm not talking about the lawyer. Someone close had to push him onto the lawyer ...
I meant if they are forced to give evidence. The club will likely call some players up as witnesses if the general consensus was that it wasn't as grave as topine made out.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When we first heard the news of this i had a feeling this was coming.

I can imagine a precedent being set and we'll see a huge amount of change / introduction to new policies around player welfare / training etc moving forward.

Shame it had to be us tho.

No doubt RFM and the others who disappeared over the offseason will back topine so we better have some current players who wrestled him for example in our corner
It'd be interesting if the players that are still here say they took it easy on him.