Opinion Jack Hethrington- edge back rower.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still think that Josh Stuckey will get a spot in the 30.
33 off loads in 14 games average 143m
8 tries 90% tackle efficiency.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jacko needs to get out of first receiver
Though . He is becoming a Tolman like pest when we are in the opposition 20. Is playing well again though .
Thing is we need him at lock for the good stuff he does. He is our number one contributor in the middle for defense, and often in the top 2 for run metres. He also does a fair bit of heads up play, running decoy lines, one on one strips, has been earning more penalties lately too.

I'm not sure who else goes in as link man, Burton and BBO/Avo/Flanno as halves. Which player is going to be out there 70-80 minutes every game to do that role? It has to be Jacko, and we know that he can do it, at times.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thing is we need him at lock for the good stuff he does. He is our number one contributor in the middle for defense, and often in the top 2 for run metres. He also does a fair bit of heads up play, running decoy lines, one on one strips, has been earning more penalties lately too.

I'm not sure who else goes in as link man, Burton and BBO/Avo/Flanno as halves. Which player is going to be out there 70-80 minutes every game to do that role? It has to be Jacko, and we know that he can do it, at times.
TPJ...will be a great going forward prop
Cook...he is the future, has the goods
Vaughan...is a prop
Hetherington...could be the big surprise secondrow
Jackson...can do his good work playing secondrow
Thompson...can be the perfect modern lock
This starting pack will have power fireworks and skills that has been missing for years !

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think that Josh Stuckey will get a spot in the 30.
33 off loads in 14 games average 143m
8 tries 90% tackle efficiency.
They're impressive stats and he looks like a real goer, but the kid is 24 next year and has played only 14 reserve grade games so far. Nothing wrong with sitting him on a development contract and getting another 10 games under his belt in reggies before becoming eligible to play first grade.
You've also got to consider the impact of COVID on these young blokes development, no footy in a couple of years will have an impact.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Dufty
2 Cotric
3 Naden
4 Averillo
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 BBO
8 Thompson
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Hetherington
13 Jackson

14 JMK
15 RFM/Topine
16 Seumanufagai
17 Ogden/Patolo
I like it.....

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be fair though the only way Barrett could bring Hetho onto edge was to start Napa. we have desperately short a few quality middle forwards this year.

next year with Vaughn, Thompson Ava and a more experienced Patolo we could maybe cover Hetho or TPJ or even both on an edge.

suspensions and injuries could change things though which would could mess with combinations.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably because he didn’t have too many other options banging the door down to play at prop
True that! It’s not like we had awesome competition for props at the club for most of the season especially with Napa’s and Ogden’s below average form week in week out. Hopefully with TPJ and Vaughn coming to the club Baz can keep Hethro as an edge back rower because he certainly looked at home there today!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gus said his on 100% Footy months ago. Jack is one of the most skilful edge back rowers to come out of the Penrith system. Just like you wouldn't waste Kikau as a middle forward, Jack can be similarly as effective as an edge back rower. Gus's suggestions are already being implemented. Jack looked more comfortable today running wide, getting 1 on 1 with a smaller half, instead of being used as a centre forward battering ram. That role simply doesn't suit him.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of us have been suggesting this since we signed him considering his pace, lack of effectiveness as a prop and that his best form with the Warriors last year was also when he played on an edge.

Hopefully Baz persists with it going into next season because he looks a lot better in space.
Yes indeed. I've posted before that Heth's build is more suitable for 2nd row. He's not chunky or bulky enough as a prop.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a machine, very quick, powerful, and has the enthusiasm. I did say this from the start, finally he’s starting to show some promise.!!

Reactions: ATT

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was brilliant playing hethrington on leilua, shut that fucker down.
I can fault Jack’s commitment to canterbury, thought stimson had his best game for us today
I definitely agree Stimson has had his best games for us lately. His defence in particular has been a standout but if I was to critique a part of his game that is lacking is he barely makes any run metres. It’s almost like he uses all of his energy on defence

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
TPJ...will be a great going forward prop
Cook...he is the future, has the goods
Vaughan...is a prop
Hetherington...could be the big surprise secondrow
Jackson...can do his good work playing secondrow
Thompson...can be the perfect modern lock
This starting pack will have power fireworks and skills that has been missing for years !
Good starting pack - i think starting Jackson sr can work - then move him to the middle after 20 minutes and bring on another edge - i notice teams are resting forwards on the wing during"yardage" - having the wingers and centres do the hard carries whilst the middle rests on the wing