Opinion Jack Hethrington- edge back rower.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The props (apart fro Napa) did their job yesterday. Hetherington is great playing second row as no doubt would Thompson. With Jackson at lock it becomes a formidable pack. Napa is gone and Elliott can follow him out the door. I am sick of players being played out position.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Gus mentioned the only problem is going to be his defensive reads. Also he will need to learn to be a decoy and not hit lead runners.

But the big advantage is that he won’t be fatigued and get sin binned for high shots every 10 minutes.

With him on the right edge and TPJ on the left edge we would certainly be formidable. Between the 2 of them they have 1 full brain which is a worry but hopefully Gus can get them focused

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As Gus mentioned the only problem is going to be his defensive reads. Also he will need to learn to be a decoy and not hit lead runners.

But the big advantage is that he won’t be fatigued and get sin binned for high shots every 10 minutes.

With him on the right edge and TPJ on the left edge we would certainly be formidable. Between the 2 of them they have 1 full brain which is a worry but hopefully Gus can get them focused
TPJ is a better middle though.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Stimson can build on the last 2 weeks it could be an ok 2nd row with Jack, Jackson and Stimson. We will need TPJ in the middle next year and hopefully RFM fit and firing

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh mate I agree he was 100% better yesterday and I agree with you fully about the support. He always backs up on breaks, which brings me to my argument that he will be a great fullback. He can pass, step and the speed will kill defences. His weak points are organising, kicking and getting us repeat sets. Which you can’t deny. I think Jake should be 1 next year. He needs to play there and develop himself and get his confidence. I mean they mustn’t see him as the future 7 if we are talking about Pearce as a possibility. He played well yesterday and I’m not taking that away from him at all i was impressed with his support play and being around the ball. I’m the first to give praise when it’s due. Even if I didn’t give them much during the season. Bottom line is I think he’s the fullback.
You really need to get along to a training session or 2 and watch Averillo try (yes try) and catch high balls. At the 4 full sessions that I made it to this year he was hopeless, not bad, seriously hopeless. Every high kick from the opposition would be a good chance for them to score a try if he was the fullback trying to catch them. He does zero, zilch, FA organising, particularly in defence, which is another must have for a fullback.

Maybe he can learn the fullback necessary skills, but he sure as hell doesn’t have them right now.

Always a Bulldog

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need to get along to a training session or 2 and watch Averillo try (yes try) and catch high balls. At the 4 full sessions that I made it to this year he was hopeless, not bad, seriously hopeless. Every high kick from the opposition would be a good chance for them to score a try if he was the fullback trying to catch them. He does zero, zilch, FA organising, particularly in defence, which is another must have for a fullback.

Maybe he can learn the fullback necessary skills, but he sure as hell doesn’t have them right now.

Always a Bulldog
Wow! I didn’t know that at all mate. Thanks for the insight. From what you’ve seen at training and games what do you think his preferred position is?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I definitely agree Stimson has had his best games for us lately. His defence in particular has been a standout but if I was to critique a part of his game that is lacking is he barely makes any run metres. It’s almost like he uses all of his energy on defence
If Stimson's form and fitness keep improving, I can see him filling a Steve Reardon/Robert Relf role in the side. You need an axe in the team, and those guys used to chop opposition players in half for fun. His defense has been noticeable the last few games he has played, often first in contact, has caused a few knock ons by the opposition. He seems to have some ability to read the play, pops up at the right time on occasion. Dunno why he hasn't produced much in terms of ball play and running game, because he seemed to have some of that at the Storm. Maybe its a case of form + combinations.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow! I didn’t know that at all mate. Thanks for the insight. From what you’ve seen at training and games what do you think his preferred position is?
He's an open field runner, beats opposition with footwork and speed, at training (from my limited watchings) he's next to impossible to stop 1 on 1, even 2 on 1 he beats more than half the time. Looks like a running 5/8 or a fullback in attack, but his defence isn't great and he simply hasn't the experience to organise his teammates around him in attack or defence. He, of all of our juniors, has suffered from no lower grades playing for 2 years. More gym work will help, as will game time so he can take responsibility gradually, time with experienced team mates to develop between the ears. I reckon in particular JAC is going to be good for him.

Just my opinion, he looks to me like one of those naturally gifted athletes who climbs the ranks rapidly because he just simply stands out on the field from the other players who are not so naturally gifted. But even they need time to grow the rest of their game, learn their position, understand what it takes to be an NRL level player every week, I'm confident that if we give him time he will shine.

Always a Bulldog

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
another example of nasheed being right as he said this 6 months ago I don't know why people don't listen to this guy

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's an open field runner, beats opposition with footwork and speed, at training (from my limited watchings) he's next to impossible to stop 1 on 1, even 2 on 1 he beats more than half the time. Looks like a running 5/8 or a fullback in attack, but his defence isn't great and he simply hasn't the experience to organise his teammates around him in attack or defence. He, of all of our juniors, has suffered from no lower grades playing for 2 years. More gym work will help, as will game time so he can take responsibility gradually, time with experienced team mates to develop between the ears. I reckon in particular JAC is going to be good for him.

Just my opinion, he looks to me like one of those naturally gifted athletes who climbs the ranks rapidly because he just simply stands out on the field from the other players who are not so naturally gifted. But even they need time to grow the rest of their game, learn their position, understand what it takes to be an NRL level player every week, I'm confident that if we give him time he will shine.

Always a Bulldog
I think it takes 50 to 80 games to be an accomplished NRL player.

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
Edge back rower for Hethrington. So much better than as a prop.
Might help him to control his temper and allow his athletic attributes to shine through.
With hethro on the edge we'd have one of the most explosive forwards in the comp

8. Thompson
9. JMK
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington
12. TPJ
13. Jackson

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
fair assumption TT, i think Jake can make it as a 7 over time. His development this year was huge. His defence has improved out of sight also. Another offseason learning how to game manage will be beneficial for him. I just hope TB doesnt try and turn him into cleary as he is not that type of player. What is does give us with Jake being 7 is 2 scoring options on both sides of the ruck. Most importantly just need to pack to be going forward so him and Burton can play of the back of momentum.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes found his spot he will be sensational out wide and get in less trouble

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
With hethro on the edge we'd have one of the most explosive forwards in the comp

8. Thompson
9. JMK
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington
12. TPJ
13. Jackson
3 explosive and 3 consistent players in that pack! Perfect balance

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Hetherington shifting to the backrow, we have the ideal backrow rotation as long as Hetherington's suspensions don't occur at the same time as RFM's injuries.....