Opinion Jack Hethrington- edge back rower.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hetherington playing wide and Gus' tweet about it just confirms the influence Gus will have on selections moving forward. I doubt it occurred to Baz all of a sudden 23 games into the season to suddenly play Hetherington there... Thankfully Gus is around to provide guidance and see what others can't.
I got no doubt Baz can learn a lot from Gus. But reality is we have had an abundance of back rowers available all year and very skinny on middles with injuries and heavy suspensions- Thommo missed 9 games as an example. But next year with potentially 2 middles coming and the development of Patolo I think Jack should be given an extended chance as an edge forward. We need to start working over the other teams halves.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got no doubt Baz can learn a lot from Gus. But reality is we have had an abundance of back rowers available all year and very skinny on middles with injuries and heavy suspensions- Thommo missed 9 games as an example. But next year with potentially 2 middles coming and the development of Patolo I think Jack should be given an extended chance as an edge forward. We need to start working over the other teams halves.
His pace will be an added bonus probably quicker than plenty of opposition halves too.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of Cook but I assume he will get first shot at hooker, BBO/JMK will probably play off the bench. I still expect Jake to start next to Burton unless we sign someone else.
Jake will be “ok” next to Burton if Burton is the 7, if we are to continue our halfback dominant play style like Penrith and Cleary you want your best ball player touching the ball as many times during the set. Let Averillo camp himself on the left. Burton is too important and skilful to not be the dominant half of the team.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Edge back rower for Hethrington. So much better than as a prop.
Might help him to control his temper and allow his athletic attributes to shine through.
I totally agree and had this thought myself earlier in the year.
I discussed it with a friend at work and got laughed at.

Funny
The prick conveniently forgot the conversation

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jake will be “ok” next to Burton if Burton is the 7, if we are to continue our halfback dominant play style like Penrith and Cleary you want your best ball player touching the ball as many times during the set. Let Averillo camp himself on the left. Burton is too important and skilful to not be the dominant half of the team.
I think we need to let Burton do his thing and not worry about implementing the game plan and getting the ball where it needs to except on the 5th with his bombs. I think he's going to be a lot more effective picking and choosing his moments and being a strike weapon himself, he has the physicality to do it plus all the other options he has (running, passing, etc.) I want Jackson and Averillo (or whoever is the halfback) to create space for him and then it's up to Burton what to do.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jake had a fair bit less touches yesterday, more emphasis on quality rather than quantity and also kicked less because of his injury. Tigers were shit but he created opportunities with his pace and pretty much backed up every break or half break we made. 4 try involvements and could've had another 3, Schoupp knock on, Waddell failing to pass inside and and a mix up with Hetheringon/Schoupp on the left edge with acres of space.

I've said numerous times I'm not a fan of the system, it was a little bit different yesterday but I'm not sure if that was down to the tigers being poor and Jackson being able to play that lock role effectively or a few tactical tweaks Baz made during the week.

Jake just needs to run and I've always said that, that's how he's going to create opportunities. He isn't going to unlock defences with some top tier ball playing, at least not at this stage so hopefully Baz goes away from it. The same goes for Burton, and out and out runner that needs to run. It might not be the cute style of play Baz wants but it's the most effective.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players need to be placed where they can show their ability. That was shown by Hetherington.
The two best edge players we have are Thompson and TPJ. They are not suited to being props.
They can run onto the ball better than most.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought moving Hetherington to the second row permanently was on the agenda as soon as we signed TPJ and Vaughan. With Ava and Thompson with us for at least 2 more years, that's a pretty decent 4 man front rotation. Far superior to Ogden and Atoni who were disappointing this year. We do need at least one more prop to cover injuries and suspensions. I think Doorey and Hetherington are locks for the starting 2nd row positions, so one of RFM, Waddell or Stimson will need to play front row if/when required.

Always a Bulldog
RFM played some of his best footy at prop.

No mention of Adam (Alvin Purple) Elliott. ????

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Dufty
2 Cotric
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Avo
8 Thompson
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Hetho
13 Jackson

14 BBO
15 Ava
16 Patolo
17 RFM
I'm liking the look of that Team. Go the Dogs.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jake had a fair bit less touches yesterday, more emphasis on quality rather than quantity and also kicked less because of his injury. Tigers were shit but he created opportunities with his pace and pretty much backed up every break or half break we made. 4 try involvements and could've had another 3, Schoupp knock on, Waddell failing to pass inside and and a mix up with Hetheringon/Schoupp on the left edge with acres of space.

I've said numerous times I'm not a fan of the system, it was a little bit different yesterday but I'm not sure if that was down to the tigers being poor and Jackson being able to play that lock role effectively or a few tactical tweaks Baz made during the week.

Jake just needs to run and I've always said that, that's how he's going to create opportunities. He isn't going to unlock defences with some top tier ball playing, at least not at this stage so hopefully Baz goes away from it. The same goes for Burton, and out and out runner that needs to run. It might not be the cute style of play Baz wants but it's the most effective.
I thought we played alot more direct yesterday and drew the players in.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see both Hetherington and Thompson playing on the edges.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone got any video of Hetheringtons line break?... In the game seemed like they swung back to love action just as Hetho was slowing down thinking a whistle had been blown or something.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeh mate I agree he was 100% better yesterday and I agree with you fully about the support. He always backs up on breaks, which brings me to my argument that he will be a great fullback. He can pass, step and the speed will kill defences. His weak points are organising, kicking and getting us repeat sets. Which you can’t deny. I think Jake should be 1 next year. He needs to play there and develop himself and get his confidence. I mean they mustn’t see him as the future 7 if we are talking about Pearce as a possibility. He played well yesterday and I’m not taking that away from him at all i was impressed with his support play and being around the ball. I’m the first to give praise when it’s due. Even if I didn’t give them much during the season. Bottom line is I think he’s the fullback.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we need to let Burton do his thing and not worry about implementing the game plan and getting the ball where it needs to except on the 5th with his bombs. I think he's going to be a lot more effective picking and choosing his moments and being a strike weapon himself, he has the physicality to do it plus all the other options he has (running, passing, etc.) I want Jackson and Averillo (or whoever is the halfback) to create space for him and then it's up to Burton what to do.
Yeah I like that idea. I just don’t want him camped on the left side of the field for most of the game. I want him to float between both sides and be the link between the ruck and the centre’s and backs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I like that idea. I just don’t want him camped on the left side of the field for most of the game. I want him to float between both sides and be the link between the ruck and the centre’s and backs
thats not his role as an edge backrower