News In the Doghouse

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well I say big signing fuk up because TBaz had him as our half for the next decade yet he's maybe lasted a month or so?
A tad concerning that a former Kangaroo halfback and newby coach, with the controversial background of his tenure at Manly to overcome, did not appear to thoroughly analyse Flanagan's skills and lack of game management and value to teams he was playing in.

Now the new coaches new struggling team is hampered with him in their salary cap, along with a few other ordinary recruits.

He certainly has done better with his second go at recruiting in Burton, JAC and Naden so a steep learning curve that he hopefully has learnt from.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis said one spot on thing last night. Boys these days have a fkn sook and want out when told they aren't performing. Men put their head down, work on their game to prove the coach wrong.
Look at Josh Morris. He was a far more successful player than Flanagan has ever been and was even a rep player but when he was dropped to Reserves, he didn't cry or ask for a release. He worked hard and within a few weeks he was playing FG again and played more rep footy after that.

Flanagan has the wrong attitude and I don't think he has the talent to turn things around which is a bad combo. The sooner we move him on, the better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan has what it takes imo, he just needs to strip everything back on a personal level and rebuild himself. The club built the poor kid up and threw him under the bus, we are worse than the Roosters if we punt him.
I don't think he's talented enough plus he has a bad attitude and is weak mentally. The Roosters are ruthless which is part of what makes them so successful. They realised one year in that he wasn't good enough.

If we want to compete and be a top four club again, we have to be just as ruthless with our failed signings. There's no point hanging onto a player on 400k that won't play FG for the next two seasons.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think he's talented enough plus he has a bad attitude and is weak mentally. The Roosters are ruthless which is part of what makes them so successful. They realised one year in that he wasn't good enough.

If we want to compete and be a top four club again, we have to be just as ruthless with our failed signings. There's no point hanging onto a player on 400k that won't play FG for the next two seasons.
I agree with you in some aspects. But I follow the mantra of never forget where you come from, we were are at the bottom and took a kid at his lowest... regardless of whats gone on behind the scenes the club needs to help the boy.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the kid needs to realise that if either wakeham or avo gets injured or suspended the next guy to get a start is Lewis.. simply based on form not because he is entitled.
Whether we keep Lewis or move him on, he deserves another crack before this kid.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why is it never reported that Flanagan has sought clarity as to what he has to do to get back into FG?

sport is - or at least should be - a meritocracy... you only get what your talent, achievement and effort demand... and Flanagan's talent, achievement and effort thus far demands nothing

this is only speculation but how about Flanagan increase his gym work and get stronger for the physical contact required, hopefully give him better purchase on his kicks (eg. his bombs don't have the height they need), that he is harder to tackle etc... how about he increase his sprint work and try to get more - who am I kidding - some discernible pace off the mark to at least provide some threat running at the line... how about he work on developing some variety in his kicking game?

as harsh as this sounds, I think it is heartening that the club and Barrett are being cutthroat with Flanagan and not just accepting subpar performances... and if Flanagan believes the club is wrong, prove it

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And some of the reports saying he was strong for mounties are way off the mark and clearly didn’t watch the game ,he was ordinary,kicking game woeful.
I watched a replay of the game last night and you're right he was ordinary.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan has what it takes imo, he just needs to strip everything back on a personal level and rebuild himself. The club built the poor kid up and threw him under the bus, we are worse than the Roosters if we punt him.
Based on the idea that this supposed meeting actualy took place and that this wasn't just a lie from Wideload.

I've seen a couple of parts of his game that are ok. He throws a very good long cut out pass, he's adequate in defense for a half, he has the foresite to support well on kicks now and then. I haven't seen much of a short kicking game from him and as others have mentioned he doesn't take on the line much either. I would say that most of the articles where he was very much hyped up, the hype came from himself saying how he was going to take control of the team. He got plenty of chances to do that and now that he's been demoted due to failing at that he needs to realise that the ball is in his court with regards to earning that promotion again. I'm certain that he's been given a list of things to improve. Nobody but him can do the work to make his career a success.

I agree that we need to look after the mental health of our players. But that doesn't include giving them a starting NRL spot because they're upset. If there's truth to the suggestion that flanagan is exploring his options after not getting promoted after a week in reggies, he's obviously not of the opinion that he needs to improve and therefore unlikely to be working on the areas that the coaching staff have highlighted.

Grechy21

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Flopagan is rubbish. Worst player out there in NSW cup

Absolute myth

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I lost all hope about Flanagan when we were on the attack against whichever team earlier in the year.

We got six again and then in the next tackle or two Flanagan did a low percentage / high risk cross field bomb that ended up in touch.

All the advantage we had went down the drain.

A perfect example of what is being called ""eyes up" football. NOT

I actually wonder if that might have been the game where he got hooked.

But really it is not just that one incident. He does not have vision about where to direct the attack, when to get his hands on the ball, what options to take etc etc. Very predictable and definitely stymies our attack.

Let's face it, if you had to choose between Shaun Johnson and Flanagan for our #7 how long would you need to think about it?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just sign SJ already.!!! Want it announced.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
After reading the articles about the way he’s carried on at the roosters and now us which club in their right mind takes him on. I’d say we’re stuck with him now.
I think his parents are enablers.
I recall when Trent Robinson dropped him at the roosters,
It was reported that Shane Flanagan phoned Trent Robinson for a please explain.
I actually think that's when the roosters gave up on him.

And I think Trent is over the self entitlement attitude kyle seems to have.

I think kyles nrl career is over.

The crying thing in the media was massive red flags for me.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It’s a dud signing.. Milford is an example of a big signing fuck up 1 mill a season
Yes, your coming from a $$$ stand point and I'm coming from a "future" stand point. Regardless of the money TBaz was saying this guy is part of the new young team that will be together for the next decade. He is entrenched in the footy world yet failed to identify Flanno's faults prior to the signing yet was obvious after just some weeks? To me that is a big fuk up, sure made worse if he was on a mil but a fuk up none the less.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He Has nothing bro, watch him in the reserves. Actually fucking worse performances than FG