Images/Photos

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of my uncles was working on them at de Haviland during the war, balancing propellers.
I have a model kit, ( unopened) and digital combat simulator are realising it on pc will be pretty interesting to learn about it. I've seen one in Newcastle and Albion Park can't wait to get in the virtual cockpit and play ,they are like a forgotten hero

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That my friend is the good old days of Lakemba.
Before it was sewered, and the streets were dusty in the dry and muddy in the wet, horse manure everywhere, and men worked five and a half days per week, while women stayed at home and did the housework without the appliances we have these days. No TV or mobile phones. No air conditioning - you would have loved it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fairly similar carriages were still in use on that line in the 80s. But would have been slightly different, for electric trains. The above ones, would be pulled by a steam train. Definitely remember going to school on those red rattlers in the 70s and 80s between Bankstown and Canterbury, Hurlstone Park. The doors could be left open... nice and breezy in summer, cold in winter, rain pouring in...
Yes, it is the steam days - when peak hour services were every seven minutes on the Bankstown line. Some of those carriages were converted to run in electric train sets from 1926 (BTW- they were never called "red rattlers"; that's a Melbourne term the media picked up. We called them "sparks").

That station building still exists, with some modifications. Lakemba was used as a terminus for trains- only every second train ran to the end of the line at Bankstown. There was a reversing siding between the up and down tracks where terminating trains were put. The track was removed decades ago, but the gap between the present running lines is still apparent at the Wiley park end of the station.