Hunt chase puts Flanagan in no-win situation

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting note on this, Danny Weidler reported this article. Danny and Gus are close with Channel 9 links and i think is really the only journo who wouldn’t shit talk Gus or spread bs about him. Come Nov 1 we have probably the second most cap space out of any other team for off contract 2023’s in which include spine players like D brown, Moses, Hastings, Munster, Hunt, Latrell, Doeuhi, Drinkwater. Then we move to the props in which includes a list of Klemmer, Tapine, Radley, Tom Flegler, Tom Burgess, NAS. Expect heaps of movement and player links this off season. Its gonna be a big one i feel with how 2021 miserably turned out. Ciraldo, Gus and Khoury can attract players
Sorry to bust your thought bubble, but we ain't got much left at all for 2023, having used the departing players this year to secure Kikau and Mahoney. For 2024 though very different matter, with Thompson, Jackson, Flanagan, Averillo, Burns, Okonbore all off contract. So don't expect many more changes for 2023. The interest in Hunt, Munster, Sullivan etc is for 2024.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think Gus is after Hunt at all. Just a ploy to put pressure on dragons and nab Sullivan. About Hunt I don’t get it. The guy will be 34 when his current contract ends at the end of 23. Why would any club sign him up for another 2 years after that when he will be 35-36?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sorry to bust your thought bubble, but we ain't got much left at all for 2023, having used the departing players this year to secure Kikau and Mahoney. For 2024 though very different matter, with Thompson, Jackson, Flanagan, Averillo, Burns, Okonbore all off contract. So don't expect many more changes for 2023. The interest in Hunt, Munster, Sullivan etc is for 2024.
I was talking about 2024 the whole time lol. It could be like last off season where we sign Nov 1 eligible players like Mahoney and Kikau.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly do sympathies with Shane Flanagan for trying to protect his son,
Now Jnr has had 3 coaches in the last 3 years, who will Snr blame now ?
And this is exactly why flange snr would have been the worst possible outcome for us as a head coach, people suggesting he would not favour his son where fucking delusional.

Malla

Reaction score
Can someone please create a highlights package of every play where Averillo has called the ball on the short side where we were out numbered?

Thanks

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanno has not improved 1 area of his ability as a halfback in the entire time he has played at the dogs.
I do not understand how you can work somewhere for 2 years and not improve in any area?
He hasn't changed since he was running around for the Jets in 2018.

Great reserve grade halfback, sub-par NRL halfback. Makes his tackles, can goal kick, but has no variety in his kicking game and all his passes are inside balls to no one. Also, doesn't run the footy. He's the apple of his Father's eye and no one else's.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How unfortunate for Flannagan, he took us to the greatest heights of rugby league. He shouldn’t have an issue finding another club to play for with his great skill set.
Maybe he could find a gig in an u16s Chinese league sounds about right for his skill set.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Imagine if the dragons cap is so fucked we could get him for 2023. That would be awesome!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see the use in us pursuing Hunt when he's going to be 34 by 2024 unless there's a chance he's going to get an early release but why would the Dragons do that when he was one of the best players in the comp this year plus we couldn't afford him for next year.
In 2024 Reynolds will also be 34, Cherry Evans will be 36, Townsend will be 34, Moylan will be 33, half backs don't age like forwards, FFS Cronk won a premiership when he was almost 36.

Always a Bulldog

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2024 Reynolds will also be 34, Cherry Evans will be 36, Townsend will be 34, Moylan will be 33, half backs don't age like forwards, FFS Cronk won a premiership when he was almost 36.

Always a Bulldog
James maloney fits that category also

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good half-backs are like conductor's.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score