Hunt chase puts Flanagan in no-win situation

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ben Hunt is likely to be just one of the halfbacks the Bulldogs speak to as they accelerate their quest to land a No.7 and No.1 in the coming months.

It’s an open secret the Bulldogs are looking to offload Kyle Flanagan, but even if they can’t, it appears they will bring someone in over the top of him.

Fullback is also a priority and the Dogs will examine prospective No.1s carefully. They have already been linked to Penrith’s Stephen Crichton, who has played predominantly as a centre, but has had impressive stints at fullback.

Hunt’s meeting with Canterbury on Friday is an interesting one. It comes on the back of revelations on Channel Nine that he has been made a very low offer by the Dragons.

“Yes, I met with Ben and his manager,” Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould told me. “He is a very impressive person, but at no point did we talk about an offer or money. It was a conversation to get to know him. I simply said if things don’t work out we’d like to chat to him then.

“We are after a halfback and a fullback. Ben Hunt is an obvious choice and he has a lot of the qualities a club looks for.”

The Bulldogs’ interest puts pressure on the Dragons to act on their star halfback. If Hunt does
re-sign with St George Illawarra, Canterbury will most likely target his understudy, Jayden Sullivan.

There is another element to this story: the man managing the Dragons’ salary cap and recruitment is Shane Flanagan, the father of Kyle, the player the Bulldogs are trying to replace. It appears to be a lose-lose-lose situation for Flanagan snr. If he signs Hunt and doesn’t let Sullivan go, he will have a disgruntled player at his club. If he signs Hunt and lets Sullivan go, his son will be on the outer at Canterbury. And if he doesn’t sign Hunt, who is off contract at the end of 2023, he may go to the Bulldogs and replace his son anyway. This relates to a story we broke earlier this year where we revealed Canterbury were proposing a swap deal, Sullivan for Flanagan. It didn’t happen.

Well if Kyle is as good as Shane thinks he is, back him & sign Kyle to the Dragons. At least then Kyle is likely to get more than 1 season in the NRL which is all he will get if he stays at Belmore.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Watch out Shane will start getting his mates over on Fox to bag our club out.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanno has not improved 1 area of his ability as a halfback in the entire time he has played at the dogs.
I do not understand how you can work somewhere for 2 years and not improve in any area?
I feel sorry for Kyle. He has affectively been brainwashed to play a certain way & getting him to change now may be too hard for him. When you have something ingrained in you from your father from the day you can walk & talk, it's almost impossible to get it out of somebody's system. He has practised what he is currently doing for more than 2 decades. He is like a robot that has been programmed.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank fick. Can’t wait to averilo and Flanagan is not in our 17.

Averilo has some ability just he’s like mbye. Ok at a few slots. Good at none.

Flanagan is blessed to have played first grade. Fucking woeful.
only difference is that league people were talking up Mbye as a star of the game & I could never work out why except he had some pace. The league community can be funny like that at times. I just hope the league community is right about Ciraldo unlike Mbye.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well if Kyle is as good as Shane thinks he is, back him & sign Kyle to the Dragons. At least then Kyle is likely to get more than 1 season in the NRL which is all he will get if he stays at Belmore.
He really should be playing his last f/g game with us against Manly.

Next year Reserves, (if he doesn't decide to leave for elsewhere), unless we have a catastrophic injury list.

He really needs to read the room and secure a spot in SL in his best interests now.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have always hoped Averillo would make a very good fullback and still do, I believe he still has something special to offer !
Maybe time in reserve grade will help him build his confidence...He is still young !!!
Averillo is suffering from the same thing as a lot of our players. He was put into 1st grade WAY too early out of desperation & not having NSW Cup for 2 years has been damaging to many players & the game in general. I think we will be in for some lean times talent wise as some players who were undecided whether to continue or not simply took the COVID break as a reason to quit.

The lack of development at our club has been an indictment on the club (started with Des) & was only re-started under Pay although interrupted by COVID. So it had a larger affect on the lower class clubs.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Example there of the folly of learning your position in first grade. Crazy to expect it.
And therein lies the problem. He needs a couple of off-seasons & a reserve grade season at least to develop into a fullback if he can. He is another victim of the COVID situation.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And therein lies the problem. He needs a couple of off-seasons & a reserve grade season at least to develop into a fullback if he can. He is another victim of the COVID situation.
Can't factor in C19 too much into it, although in the mix.
He is a victim of our poor spine recruitment, having to make do with what we have and a case of trying to find a spot for him.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Kyle. He has affectively been brainwashed to play a certain way & getting him to change now may be too hard for him. When you have something ingrained in you from your father from the day you can walk & talk, it's almost impossible to get it out of somebody's system. He has practised what he is currently doing for more than 2 decades. He is like a robot that has been programmed.
Makes sense. We still suffer from desball and most of the players from Des days are gone.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I honestly do sympathies with Shane Flanagan for trying to protect his son,
Now Jnr has had 3 coaches in the last 3 years, who will Snr blame now ?
Daddy fucked his career from jnrs. Typical talentless coaches son, protected species that get picked in teams they don't deserve to be in.

PS the child of a ref and ex-ref tried to use their "status" to get their talentless kid into 1st division, he got dropped to 2nd division and they had a sook and moved clubs.

Malla

Reaction score
I understand your point but don’t feel sorry for him. He’s made almost 2million from his footy career and played 60+ first grade games. He should be charged for robbing sharks, roosters and bulldogs and fraud for impersonating a football player

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly do sympathies with Shane Flanagan for trying to protect his son,
Now Jnr has had 3 coaches in the last 3 years, who will Snr blame now ?
The common denominator, his son. If Snr wanted his son to improve he's in the best position to get it done too.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s very average , his old man was very average as a player

and he’s deadset the most uninspired commentator I’ve ever heard

fuck that guy