How to shut people down

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In the words of the Sandman, I choose to start this story now...

As some will know, I spend a lot of time in a particular south east Asian country, one as famous for its blind loyalty to a royal family and for military coups than it is for its beaches and ladyboys. It is a place i have observed for more than 15 years. In this country, the military have completely shut down what little press freedom there was, including foolishly trying t introduce as single gateway in and out of the country so it can completely shut down whatever websites it doesn't like. Newspapers, who have never been able to criticize the royal family, now cannot even say anything negative about the "government", with bashings and jailings of reporters common. As a result, the people are left in the dark, and its very sad. Every night the "prime minister" goes onto EVERY TV station (including cable/satellite stations), and gives a half hourly propaganda report, and I checked, my in laws have over 100 channels and it is on every single one.

The country next door is Malaysia, once a free thinking, fairly free muilti-ethnic country, sadly also heading in the wrong direction. I was chatting with a good friend who grew up in KL shortly after MH370 disappeared, and I commented to him that, in my view, the politicians and generals trying to answer questions from the press after the crash were hopeless (in some cases, like a deer in the headlights), and eventually they refused to answer questions from certain international journalists (including the ABC). My mate explained, in his view, its because they are simply not used to being asked tough questions, and in domestic news events, questions are pre-prepared dorothy dixers from their preferred reporters.

There are so many examples around the world where politicians refuse to be held accountable. Even in Australia, where we enjoy fairly good freedom of the press compared to most, politicians will still refuse to be interviewed by certain people, or constantly go on shows with their preferred arse lickers. Tony Abbott is probably the best example in recent times, constantly talking to people like Bolt and Jones because they never asked him anything difficult. Speaking of Tony Abbott, whilst he said so many dumbshit things over the years, the one that ground my gears the most, when he was bashing on about Team Australia, was when he said to the ABC: "Who's side are you on?". That is not how a PUBLIC broadcaster works, dickhead (so he just cut their funding instead).

Now to the issue of journalism. There are some terrible reporters out there, often driven, not just bye their own bias, but by the wishes of their employers. An example I saw only yesterday that left me SMH was the Courier Fail, the city's only major newspaper, trying to put a positive spin ScoMo's disastrous trip to Queensland these past two weeks. I see the media cross ownership laws although becoming less effective in the internet era, to still be important. Would you want one network owning the major TV stations, newspapers, major online papers etc (regardless of their leanings)? For all the shit out there, there are some brilliant reporters out there, well, they are unfortunately hiding behind a wall of continuous clickbait articles about Kardashians and diets and some random's blog on how to get rich. This isn't time to throw the baby our with the bathwater.

In conclusion, freedom of the press is a cornerstone of a functioning democracy, and for any leader to refuse to talk to a network or a reporters because he or she doesn't like the questions, or going on propaganda tours only with reporters they know will say nice things about them, is a dangerous direction to be heading. It is a sign of a dictatorship, regardless of whether you are in China, Venezuela, the US or Australia.

Here is the international rankings for 2018, according to Reporters without Borders: https://rsf.org/en/ranking
I agree with that but I don't think it's entirely relevant. Freedom of the press allows them to ask questions. In many cases it doesn't extend to allow them to ask anything they want. Often reporters are advised what they can and cannot ask and any stray from that path is an immediate end of the interview.

That's usually more in relation to celebrities rather than politicians. But I also don't think it relates in this case as it was a press conference and the reporter asked a question which Trump responded to (with some hostility) then he turned to answer another reporter's question. The first reporter could have raised his hand and asked the next question but instead he butted in and cut off the other reporter.

He did that 'cause he wasn't happy with the answer. And we all know that Trump deliberately gave him a vague answer as all politicians do. They never directly answer a leading question. But the question was answered and it was a press conference, not a one on one interview.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
True, trump has never filed for bankruptcy but 11 of his companies have.
I remember talking to an entrepreneur who was trying to start up an Uber for food business. Not like the Uber eats though (and this was before Uber eats). The concept was that people could cook food at home and sell it via an Uber like app. I warned him of the problems related to it with the restrictions on food sales. He said, "well if it fails then the company will declare bankruptcy. I did it with my last 3 ventures and I'll do it with this one too. Just declare bankruptcy and move on to the next venture"

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember talking to an entrepreneur who was trying to start up an Uber for food business. Not like the Uber eats though (and this was before Uber eats). The concept was that people could cook food at home and sell it via an Uber like app. I warned him of the problems related to it with the restrictions on food sales. He said, "well if it fails then the company will declare bankruptcy. I did it with my last 3 ventures and I'll do it with this one too. Just declare bankruptcy and move on to the next venture"

smart business innit?

I know a certain millionaire who has 4 failed businesses and filed bankruptcy numerous times, but still drives a Maserati.... he has zero dollar in his bank account, every thing is on his wife's, parent's, children's name.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I read it on here and yknow the kennel is factual

I run two businesses

1- Zee builders constructing houses
2- Zee mechanics fixing cars

If Zee builders build a house for you with defects and not structurally sound. You can not personally sue me or my other business Zee mechanics.... only business you can sue is Zee builders.

so yes Trump never personally filed for bankruptcy , his businesses did.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Correct. It's a common myth Donald Trump has filed for bankruptcy.
its a common myth that donald trump is a successful businessman, i think all his business were run into the ground except his celebrity business

he doesnt want to show his tax records because it would reveal this fact

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I think you're on to something there.. It's like hang on a minute.. I'm better spoken, I've got a degree .. He's just a rough speaking, twice bankrupt, non politically correct Cheeto. He shouldn't be there
you left out borderline pedophile

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
its a common myth that donald trump is a successful businessman, i think all his business were run into the ground except his celebrity business

he doesnt want to show his tax records because it would reveal this fact
It's a common myth that Donald Trump is a billionaire... Wait.

It's cute that left wing extremists have this hard on for his tax returns. Like when that angry dyke from NBC stole his tax return and saw he paid a 25% rate which was much higher than that asswipe who swapped five Al Qaeda terrorists for a deserter and that 900 year old communist.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It's a common myth that Donald Trump is a billionaire... Wait.

It's cute that left wing extremists have this hard on for his tax returns. Like when that angry dyke from NBC stole his tax return and saw he paid a 25% rate which was much higher than that asswipe who swapped five Al Qaeda terrorists for a deserter and that 900 year old communist.

that wasnt stolen, that was the tax return that they allowed to get stolen

its like if people started demanding to see my gambling records id show them only 2008 so i could look successful

trump hides his tax returns so my theory is he has something to hide

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
You watch too much CNN...
CNN is doing excellent work, evil must be opposed

im doing my part as well, i just got my make america great britain again hat lol, im going to wear it all the time

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

its like if people started demanding to see my gambling records id show them only 2008 so i could look successful

Regardless, shuts you left wing extremists up about Trump and his tax...

Between the feet stamping and the extreme jealousy on the left, it's an absolute joy to watch and laugh at you guys.

One day you will be a multi billionaire and president. One day.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Regardless, shuts you left wing extremists up about Trump and his tax...

Between the feet stamping and the extreme jealousy on the left, it's an absolute joy to watch and laugh at you guys.

One day you will be a multi billionaire and president. One day.
well enjoy it while you can, trump will spend the next 2 years complaining about democrats in the house and then not even contest the election citing the media being mean to him

then things can return to normal and you guys will be the ones stamping the feet

btw why arent the tea party stamping anymore? the republicans raised the debt limit to unlimited so they should be angry about it but it was done by a white so they are ok with it

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Something to hide, just like Obama didn't release his birth certificate, must have some thing to hide.

Or you libtards asking for tax returns is ok?

Bunch of hypocrites.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
well enjoy it while you can, trump will spend the next 2 years complaining about democrats in the house and then not even contest the election citing the media being mean to him

then things can return to normal and you guys will be the ones stamping the feet

btw why arent the tea party stamping anymore? the republicans raised the debt limit to unlimited so they should be angry about it but it was done by a white so they are ok with it
I'll enjoy the next six years of his presidency. It's adorable watching left wing extremists find new, petty things to whine about. Remember when CNN told us how Trump asked for two scoops of ice cream instead of one? Riveting.

Haha. Don't talk about debt. The asshole who swapped 5 Al Qaeda terrorists for one deserter doubled America's debt so no left wing extremist should be talking about debt.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I'll enjoy the next six years of his presidency. It's adorable watching left wing extremists find new, petty things to whine about. Remember when CNN told us how Trump asked for two scoops of ice cream instead of one? Riveting.

Haha. Don't talk about debt. The asshole who swapped 5 Al Qaeda terrorists for one deserter doubled America's debt so no left wing extremist should be talking about debt.
i personally guarantee that he will not stand for re-election and he will find some honourable way out, he might even prefer to be impeached so that he doesnt have to make up an excuse

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i personally guarantee that he will not stand for re-election and he will find some honourable way out, he might even prefer to be impeached so that he doesnt have to make up an excuse
Take that Ritalin because six more years...