How to fix our Attack?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We are all watching the same games unfold, so give me some analysis on what each of you think is the problem with our attack at the moment.

In summary last year we largely agreed we didn't have the attacking weapons to put on points. Since then we have acquired some of the comps top try scorers in Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Dufty, along with the likes of attacking weapons such as Tavita Pangai Junior and Brent Naden. So far in 2022 our attack remains pedestrian against two of the worst sides in the comp. What happens in Manly today remains to be seen, but what does it boil down to.

Well looking back at our first two games there have been a couple of things that are apparent issues with our current style of attack;

1. Jackson has been given the Yeo role and simply doesn't pose enough a threat to the defensive line, result = defence shifts left and shutdowns any impact had by Jackson engaging the line. Why did Barrett think giving Jackson a ball playing role would work?

2. Waddell in Kikau's role. Whilst his work rate has been remarkable he doesn't run the right lines. We actually had some space in Round 2 for him to take on the defence and either break the line or get a late offload away to Naden of JAC, he did neither on multiple occasions and actually ran Naden and JAC out of play. Why is Waddell being given so big a role in our attacking sets?

3. Okunbor lack of speed. This really cost us both offensively and defensively in Round 2. Hopefully we get some some speed put on that wing, his runs out of our half are valuable but we need both speed and size. Simply just a dud selection by Barrett, should never see first grade unless we have major injury crises in the backline.

I'm by no means a fan of Barrett, but I need to give some credit where it is due. He has clearly identified Burton and Dufty as the best two play makers in the side and from what I've seen in the first two rounds is setting up Burton to make the right plays on the left hand side of the field and Dufty on the right hand side of the field. I agree this is our best option to proceed with but the guys inside them simply aren't threats to the defence. We need to use guys like Pangai in the way we are trying to use the likes of Waddell in attack. We don't (currently anyway) have the luxury of a Kikau on the edge to be playing Pangai at prop.

Another success I think has been Hetherington on the right edge, he has only been really running decoys for Burns and Dufty in these early rounds but sooner or later will cause some damage there.

Let me know your thoughts..

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are all watching the same games unfold, so give me some analysis on what each of you think is the problem with our attack at the moment.

In summary last year we largely agreed we didn't have the attacking weapons to put on points. Since then we have acquired some of the comps top try scorers in Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Dufty, along with the likes of attacking weapons such as Tavita Pangai Junior and Brent Naden. So far in 2022 our attack remains pedestrian against two of the worst sides in the comp. What happens in Manly today remains to be seen, but what does it boil down to.

Well looking back at our first two games there have been a couple of things that are apparent issues with our current style of attack;

1. Jackson has been given the Yeo role and simply doesn't pose enough a threat to the defensive line, result = defence shifts left and shutdowns any impact had by Jackson engaging the line. Why did Barrett think giving Jackson a ball playing role would work?

2. Waddell in Kikau's role. Whilst his work rate has been remarkable he doesn't run the right lines. We actually had some space in Round 2 for him to take on the defence and either break the line or get a late offload away to Naden of JAC, he did neither on multiple occasions and actually ran Naden and JAC out of play. Why is Waddell being given so big a role in our attacking sets?

3. Okunbor lack of speed. This really cost us both offensively and defensively in Round 2. Hopefully we get some some speed put on that wing, his runs out of our half are valuable but we need both speed and size. Simply just a dud selection by Barrett, should never see first grade unless we have major injury crises in the backline.

I'm by no means a fan of Barrett, but I need to give some credit where it is due. He has clearly identified Burton and Dufty as the best two play makers in the side and from what I've seen in the first two rounds is setting up Burton to make the right plays on the left hand side of the field and Dufty on the right hand side of the field. I agree this is our best option to proceed with but the guys inside them simply aren't threats to the defence. We need to use guys like Pangai in the way we are trying to use the likes of Waddell in attack. We don't (currently anyway) have the luxury of a Kikau on the edge to be playing Pangai at prop.

Another success I think has been Hetherington on the right edge, he has only been really running decoys for Burns and Dufty in these early rounds but sooner or later will cause some damage there.

I will, in about 2 weeks when I finish reading your post. I've done uni assignment wgere my word count was less than your essay.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I saw enough last week to believe we've changed. We asked a lot of questions and with a bit of luck could've easily had a few more tries.

We're only going to get better in that department. We just need player consistency and for the to gel to ice those chances.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More dummy and go yourself from the first receiver, Jacko passed way too many times last week, gotta keep the defence guessing.

When the big back line play does happen we have to get deeper and attack the line with speed, I feel we were too flat last week and it allowed the Broncs to rush up on us easier.

When Burton puts up a spiral, more players need to be onside, when the ball lands it could go anywhere and we should take advantage, even the ones from our own 40.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I saw enough last week to believe we've changed. We asked a lot of questions and with a bit of luck could've easily had a few more tries.

We're only going to get better in that department. We just need player consistency and for the to gel to ice those chances.
I hope this is true, time will tell over the next month of football if it is our attacking formations that don't fit our personnel failing us or simply some time needed for the team to gel on the field.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

mate people had been calling for Jackson to move to the middle for years before barett became our coach.

why?

because he lost his Stike out wide and we might as well use him as a tackling machine.

I think the recruitment of John Asiata proves Jackson isn’t the 13 he wants but at this time we don’t have anywhere to play him at the moment.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are probably going to play shallow today because of the wet...

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
And a gun centre
We all want the best centre, the best winger, the best 5/8 and the best prop in the comp, but without an effective attacking strategy to get that centre in a position to use his best attributes what use is it?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
mate people had been calling for Jackson to move to the middle for years before barett became our coach.

why?

because he lost his Stike out wide and we might as well use him as a tackling machine.

I think the recruitment of John Asiata proves Jackson isn’t the 13 he wants but at this time we don’t have anywhere to play him at the moment.
I have no problem with him being in the middle, but he shouldn't be instigating the amount of attacking sets he is obviously is being asked to

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mahoney + a first grade standard halfback

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
No easy solutions. Attack is embarassing. Too many players still in the side that kill momentum.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No easy solutions. Attack is embarassing. Too many players still in the side that kill momentum.
We had less chances than Manly who have arguably way better attacking players, and we still have won if we kicked our goals.