Opinion How much would you pay for Jack Wighton

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
With Eleven players off contract I'd be greedy & have a go at both with Hunt for only 2 years as our 7, and Gus has public stated that he thinks Jack would make an outstanding 13 & I think that he & CC do see him as a player that could play the way that Isiah Yeo does.

And I would sell each of them the vision of joining a true premiership contender with this as our premiership winning spine -

1. Crichton
6. Burton
7. Hunt
9. Mahoney
13. Wighton

There is one BIG issue that we have all forgotten about in terms of Hunt though.
On many occasions he has publicly backed & stuck up for his coach Anthony Griffin for who he has a great bond with.
With this in mind, can you see Hunt allow himself to be courted by the man who sensationally sacked Griffin from Penrith.
Only because of this fact I would say that Hunt is the longest of shots.
You're missing a 500k piece in that spine....

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If anything Griffin is sacked do you abandon the possibility of Wighton and persue Ben Hunt.
If we could snag hunt we would be top 4 for the time he is at the club and pushing for a premiership IMO, not to mention the experience he could give KO, he will leave the drag Queen’s we should go all in on Hunt.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we could snag hunt we would be top 4 for the time he is at the club and pushing for a premiership IMO, not to mention the experience he could give KO, he will leave the drag Queen’s we should go all in on Hunt.
Hunt would be great & IMO exactly what we need.

But on top of having Gus who is one of Griifin's biggest enemies to court Ben, I was reminded yesterday by some Journo's on a Podcast that Ciraldo tried to leave Penrith twice as an assistant whilst working under Hook at Penrith because he couldn't stand working with him any longer. Gus was the one that convinced CC not to quit and to stay in the role.

I would only guess that if Ben Hunt is as close to Griffin as he makes out, then he most likely wouldn't consider us out of principle in support of his current coach & long time Chum Anthony Griffin.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Never ever underestimate the hunger for winning a premiership. Especially when players hit their 30s.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Never ever underestimate the hunger for winning a premiership. Especially when players hit their 30s.
We need to show more in terms of being that team on the up, we’re heading in the right direction but it’s critical we show resilience and belief in this years campaign to ensure 2024 is not another reboot

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hunt would be great & IMO exactly what we need.

But on top of having Gus who is one of Griifin's biggest enemies to court Ben, I was reminded yesterday by some Journo's on a Podcast that Ciraldo tried to leave Penrith twice as an assistant whilst working under Hook at Penrith because he couldn't stand working with him any longer. Gus was the one that convinced CC not to quit and to stay in the role.

I would only guess that if Ben Hunt is as close to Griffin as he makes out, then he most likely wouldn't consider us out of principle in support of his current coach & long time Chum Anthony Griffin.
next year assistant coach-Grif?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He nearly cost the Raiders the game at the end there against the Dragons yesterday with that intercept pass.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
so does this mean burton will be the utility off the bench for nsw in origin?
not that he deserves to be there but I just dk who can play multiple positions as cover for nsw

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

First Kenty & his merry men on 360 state that Jack only has 2 options "The Raiders or The Dolphins" as Clubs interested in Jack.
The next day the SMH makes them look stupid in publicly stating that the Rabbitohs are also in the hunt.

I can also confirm that Jacks Management have also met with at least one other prominent non-QLD based teams bosses other than the Bunnies.
That's all I got for now, more to come.

DSC

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He will go to Souths to join the other indigenous mates in Walker and Mitchell.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Tuesday Paul Kent declared that Jack ONLY HAD 2 contract options being Raiders & Dolphins.

On Wednesday James Hooper reported that Souths have landed his signature.

Surprise surprise, it wasn't just Raiders & Dolphins interested but now Souths as well.
This story just made Paul Kent look more stupid than he already is, especially after he argued that the Bunnies are no closer to a premiership than he's best mate Ricky's Raiders ..BBWWWAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAA.... What A Dick Head.

But wait, Thursday night it was revealed that the Jack & his Family fly to Brisbane to meet with Wayne at the Dolphins - another slap in the face to 360.

The fact is that Jack is meeting with Souths today which has been publicized after Souths leaked that information earlier in the week in a pissing contest to show the others "Who's Is Bigger".

It is also FACT that Jack & his management have met with at least 2 other NSW based teams very recently who are very keen on him. Yet again this just proves how little Paul Kent & his merry men know after originally stating it was a race in 2.

IMO -

If it's money & comfortability then it's the Raiders.

If it's money & a sea change near family then it's the Dolphins.

If it's best chance at a premiership in the next 2 years then it's less coin & the Bunnies.

Although if I were Jack I would be very cautious of the Bunnies signing him & then pushing him to the left Second Row spot if he doesn't want to be a forward as Tass is killing it at left centre as we saw last night & the left second row is their current weakness IMO.

I wouldn't totally rule out one of the other 2 clubs but IMO it's less likely as they are a little further from a title than souths, although there must be some trust & respect gained from private talks remaining private from all parties.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this here 2 weeks ago.
I Heard a whisper that Jack's opinion on moving to Sydney may have now changed whilst his contract negotiations are getting real serious.

Im now of the opinion that Jack is not simply chasing the coin but is certainly weighing up all his options including Sydney and calculating the financial cost of joining a premiership threatening team V's the big coin contract alone.

More information to follow in the next few days.
Word is that 2 weeks ago Jack & his Management met with Gus & Ciraldo within the same 24hrs that he also met with Souths for the first time.
Allegedly he was very impressed with Gus & CC and found their point of view very interesting on how they saw him fit in at the Dogs.
IMO, Jack can see what all can see (unless you're Paul Kent of course) & that is that the Bunnies are his best shot at a Premiership in the immediate future.
Credit to the man for chasing his dream & not the cash, but also for opting to get out of his comfort zone here in Canberra to do so & take his family to a city that he never ever wanted to live in.
I am led to believe that we didn't table a formal offer.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Word is that 2 weeks ago Jack & his Management met with Gus & Ciraldo within the same 24hrs that he also met with Souths for the first time.
Allegedly he was very impressed with Gus & CC and found their point of view very interesting on how they saw him fit in at the Dogs.
IMO, Jack can see what all can see (unless you're Paul Kent of course) & that is that the Bunnies are his best shot at a Premiership in the immediate future.
Credit to the man for chasing his dream & not the cash, but also for opting to get out of his comfort zone here in Canberra to do so & take his family to a city that he never ever wanted to live in.
I am led to believe that we didn't table a formal offer.
We have no backline spot for him to play in 2024, no way he is playing on the wing, we have centres covered with Alamoti, Averillo and Xerri, we have fullback covered with Crichton and 5/8 covered with Burton. IF (that's a big if) CC & Gould did actually speak to him then I think lock would be the only position that we could use him in. Which is possibly what they pitched to him to judge his response. These days lock is really a spine position and justifies a decent contracts as such.

Personally I think Wighton would make a killer ball playing and running lock, certainly an important piece that we are currently missing.

Always a Bulldog