How elite agents do business (The Matt Burton exit strategy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-matt-burton-contract-kicking-nfl-approach-nfl-combine-canterburybankstown-bulldogs-cameron-ciraldo-phil-gould-signings/news-story/30ef18beee3ee66cfbd0f6da1a98f64c

Hi La Familiars,

I thought I would share this enlightening article, in which David Riolo plants the seeds for Burton's inevitable exit, while also making him look like a great guy who wants to stay. This really is evidence of an elite agent working at the absolute top of his game. Even me - a proud Doggies fan, can't help but to shake my head appreciatively in a 'you dirty dog, you' type gesture.

Note how Riolo goes to great pains to bring up the fact Burto has been approached by NFL scouts to jack up his price. One of the oldest tricks in the trade.

He also adds this little caveat:

“But for Bulldogs fans and faithful, unless it goes horribly askew there will be no reason, provided they can come up with his market value, which I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t (sign a contract),” Riolo said.

Total word salad, but word salad is an agent's bread and butter. This is masterful work, really. Riolo expertly makes it look like Burton wants to stay, that he is a Bulldog at heart and that it would take a major error by the club (or for things to go 'horribly askew) for him not to stay. He also mentions the dreaded term 'market value' of course - which roughly translates to whatever exorbitant amount some dumbass club is willing to pay.

Astute observers can take the clear inference from these words that Burton will walk if the dogs aren't willing to offer massive overs to keep him. But most won't be sharp enough to pick up on this. The way Riolo words it - making it sound like the deal is practically done, means Burton will be able to walk away looking like the good guy - with absolutely no blood on his hands, and fans will automatically blame the club for screwing up when Burto inevitably signs a $1.4 million per season deal with the Titans.

Don't expect Burto to be here in 2024 unless Gus is willing to part with $1.4 million a season.

You're lucky you have a thinking man like me to point this out to you, fam. If not for me, you'd all just be doe eyed and lost in Riolo's words about how much Burto woves the cwub, despite the fact he has only been here for one year and probably still has a panther tattoo on his backside.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Once again a great piece of insight and analysis Flan. Can always count on you to provide an alternative point of view.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Once again a great piece of insight and analysis Flan. Can always count on you to provide an alternative point of view.
Thank you, fam. Nice to know my hard work is appreciated.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe focus on your own 2024 destination and don’t worry about what another half playing one grade and several pay packet grades above you will do? :-).
In 2024 I'll still be living rent free in your head as I lead the Bulldogs to premiership glory, baby!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
OK. Since you’ve done very little ‘leading’ so far, I won’t be holding my breath, but you go, girl :-).
I single handedly led us to victory over manly in round 25, baby! I have recent form on the board. Woooo!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes I was there that night. It’s good you had one good game in two seasons at Belmore, congratulations :-).
You are completely overlooking the time I single handedly destroyed the Knights defensive line. Would you like to see a highlights package?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Even by your very low standards, this is lame..
Not surprised to see this comment from you, mate. You wouldn't know an incisive piece of insight if it bit you on the bottom.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's unfortunately still a long offseason ahead. Probably upwards of a thousand articles based on potential player movements.

While it's true that Burton is still a risk of moving on until his contract is signed and his manager is still seeking to get more for him, this still feels like a pointless thread. We'll either retain him or he'll find a new club/code. I'll be fucked if I'll get stressed about these things. Ke seraph. Whatever will be.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There's unfortunately still a long offseason ahead. Probably upwards of a thousand articles based on potential player movements.

While it's true that Burton is still a risk of moving on until his contract is signed and his manager is still seeking to get more for him, this still feels like a pointless thread. We'll either retain him or he'll find a new club/code. I'll be fucked if I'll get stressed about these things. Ke seraph. Whatever will be.
It's spelt 'Kay Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.