Holdsworth admits criticism hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
He played well so full credit to him. He won't have to worry about any criticism.. Serena Williams will take over after what she did.

Hopefully we see Holdsworth named on the bench in week 3.

Ted67

Old Dog
Reaction score
Well you would hope so wouldn;t you. We had a lock and a 5/8th leading the team around.
Kev having Holdsworth coming off the bench worked wonders for him and the team. The boys had a formula working and DJ slotted in and ran with it.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He had a decent game last night but I think he will play NSW Cup for the rest of the year.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on the guy for having a solid game. But this is professional football, you're always going to be criticised for sub-par performances. If you can't handle it I don't think you'll make it in the NRL.
Look who's back after crying because Barba got bagged too much...

Solid game by DJ, problem is with his consistency, he played even better against the Storm when he filled in for Kimmorley, but after that he began dropping back to his 08 form.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he probably deserves another go in week 3 coming off the bench for his performance but I simply can't find a spot for him. It wont be really fair to whoever gets dropped coz our bench have been going great guns all year. Hickey, Armit, Eastwood and Gordon have all been pretty consistent all year.

Howsie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he probably deserves another go in week 3 coming off the bench for his performance but I simply can't find a spot for him. It wont be really fair to whoever gets dropped coz our bench have been going great guns all year. Hickey, Armit, Eastwood and Gordon have all been pretty consistent all year.
No way. Our bench has been good all year, none of those four deserve to be dropped for DJ because he had a solid game.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
let him play off the bench for the preliminary final

its a good insurance policy

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be honest he shouldn't have been paying attention to any of that stuff and for it to affect him is indicative of the type of player he is. Which is generally one that doesn't cope with pressure.

He's been much maligned for years and you would think with some of the over the top sh*t that gets said about him time and time again that he would have tuned out to it by now. Especially leading up to a finals game.

I'm not going to say I feel sorry for him because any professional player (unless they are young and inexperienced) shouldn't let that stuff affect them too much to be honest.

But he did a solid job and more importantly and vitally the team played quite well and were switched on the whole game which is the reason we won.

Earthquake

In Des We Trust
Reaction score
Holdsworth said he hoped Kimmorley would be back and was under no illusions about keeping his place in the side.

"Noddy has played 20 games this season I have played half a dozen so it is alright, I am not getting too ahead of myself," he said.

"It would be unreal if I get a bench spot."
It would be unreal if he gets a bench spot. Let's hope it's just a straight swap Kimmorley for Holdsworth.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't forget that he was also targetted by Bulldogs greats like Turvey though, Ben.

That was highly uncalled for. I don't blame it for affecting him. Especially when you consider the shoes the bloke is expected to fill for.

We know he is no superstar. But there is so much pressure for him to fill in the boots of Kimmorley. And even though he was not the only reason we won last night, the media will treat it that way - as they already have with this article.

You are right about one thing, he shouldn't even be picking up those papers and let it affect him too much. Absolute rubbish articles out there in the past week.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can't forget that he was also targetted by Bulldogs greats like Turvey though, Ben.

That was highly uncalled for. I don't blame it for affecting him. Especially when you consider the shoes the bloke is expected to fill for.

We know he is no superstar. But there is so much pressure for him to fill in the boots of Kimmorley. And even though he was not the only reason we won last night, the media will treat it that way - as they already have with this article.

You are right about one thing, he shouldn't even be picking up those papers and let it affect him too much. Absolute rubbish articles out there in the past week.
Turvey didn't bag him or pay him out, he just offered his opinion about what Moore should do with the halves. As a past great of the club and one of our best of all time he's entitled to that. Again, to listen to that or let that affect you (even if it is from Turvey and that might hurt a bit) shouldn't happen as he should have just realised that all of these things are a part of the pressure of being a pro footballer and happen all of the time.

You can't take that personally even if personal comments are made. Great players can read that stuff and get better from it because it motivates them to even greater heights. Average or bad players can't read into that because they generally go the complete other way and let it kill their games.

Anyway, we're all glad he filled in well and the team did the job in a professional, workmanlike manner last night and we're into week three.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On another note -

Has anyone thought that last night most likely was Holdsworths final game for the Blue and Whites?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on you DJ, no matter what they all say - we really do you love you at the end of the day mate :grinning:

As for Hodgo - I'm so fking happy for him... first win in a Finals series - I'm so happy for you, you sexy bastard!!! :love: :love: :love:
Yeh Rami. Pity nothing was written in the papers regarding Hodgo's 1st win.

As for DJ. Pity he is white. Otherwise, the Kennel would have loved him.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh Rami. Pity nothing was written in the papers regarding Hodgo's 1st win.

As for DJ. Pity he is white. Otherwise, the Kennel would have loved him.
Lol if he was a kiwi with polly tats kids like iike and howsie would be all over him.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Turvey didn't bag him or pay him out, he just offered his opinion about what Moore should do with the halves. As a past great of the club and one of our best of all time he's entitled to that. Again, to listen to that or let that affect you (even if it is from Turvey and that might hurt a bit) shouldn't happen as he should have just realised that all of these things are a part of the pressure of being a pro footballer and happen all of the time.

You can't take that personally even if personal comments are made. Great players can read that stuff and get better from it because it motivates them to even greater heights. Average or bad players can't read into that because they generally go the complete other way and let it kill their games.

Anyway, we're all glad he filled in well and the team did the job in a professional, workmanlike manner last night and we're into week three.
As great as Turvey was, to play it out in the media was uncalled for. Plain and simple.

But Turvey has always loved to play things out in the media. For example the mid 80's and his war with Warren Ryan and then Phil Gould.

Warren Ryan stripped him of the captaincy. Phil Gould wanted to strip him of his starting position.

Great players should be there to be admired in the halls of the Leagues Club. That is their picture hanging on the wall.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On another note -

Has anyone thought that last night most likely was Holdsworths final game for the Blue and Whites?
Yeah said it numerous times

He looked very depressed at the end of the night, say what you want about D.J but he bleeds blue and white

jen

Pleasing YOU since 1990'
Reaction score
:( makes me feel bad for the poor thing.. Love you DJ :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.