1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Rumour Archive' started by SweetFA, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible On a short hiatus. Staff Member

Depends if he gets an offer to head to UK.

Toovey, Griffin, and Flanno are the three main guys without gigs. Flanno can't be in NRL, but nothing stopping him heading to St Helens. Toovey I see best as say a Recruitment Manager or even GM of Football (which we have openings for). He's good with numbers and could do well as a recruitment guru.

Griffin (and if Titans are smart), bring in Walker Brothers as assistants.

2. NallaC

NallaC Forum Regular

Not sure on coaching side. I would think so. He was a gun half in his playing days . Pretty sure he played sg ball , flegg etc eith dogs.

Any good half in those days at the dogs in jr reps were told to look elsewhere as Sherwin and Hughes were coming through and they were the anointed ones. Hence why he played for newcastle and not us.

I remember in jr league he won alot of the cbjrl awards. The guy knows his footy and to he credit looks likely to get a nrl gig.Hopefully ours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

Holbrook was playing way before Shifty and Hughes he was playing reserve grade in 1995. So he would probably have some sort of relationship with Chris Anderson but you never know if that’s good or bad with Opes!

• Like Like x 1
  4. habs

habs xdf Staff Member Gilded

Corey Hughes was a terrible hooker.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

Even more so now with how much the position has changed. I’m still shocked he managed that 40/20 in the semi vs Panthers in 2004!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. 086

086 Banned In the Sin Bin

Please, in point form, link us to the posts.

As above, please, in point form, link us to the posts.

Feel free to reply here with it in the context of the conversation, or retract your assertion.

7. NallaC

NallaC Forum Regular

Holbrook is 2 years older than Sherwin and Hughes. Hughes made his Nrl debut in 98 i think. Sherwin took a little longer to develop.

Nothing was going to stop Sherwin and Hughes making first grade. And rightly so. Sherwin i believe was one of the most gifted hb to play. Hughes played over 200nrl games and as tough as.

Folkes first ever team he coached had sherwin has his hb and that wasn't by chance. Holbrook was a gun half but would of seen the writing on the wall or got told. Which is what happens at that level. Clubs can 3 good halves in jr or lower grades the always have a plan A .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Immortal

It was weird that Baa had Shifty playing on wing in 98 for the Presidents Cup side! I think Shifty really benefited from having Polly and Stuart around in his early days of first grade so he could ease himself in and learn from 2 seasoned veterans. You don’t realise how much of a luxury it is until you don’t have it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NallaC

NallaC Forum Regular

I agree with what you mean by having Stuart and Clyde around. The club made a an investment in the younger guys by having those calibre of players around to learn off.

I honestly reckon those 2 players were brought to mentor the young guns we had in the lower grade who went one to win in 2004.

As for shifty on the wing maybe is was more to do with the physicality of snr footy. Wing is not a bad spot to blood someone when you dont have the physical strength yet to hold down a half spot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thommo

Thommo Participant

Our CEO is a guy called Mike Rush...top bloke

11. bowleggedwog

bowleggedwog wogdog

Your crazy

12. bowleggedwog

bowleggedwog wogdog

Griffin needs to run the whole show. Ground up, he isn't the best nrl coach but he is a awesome development coach and implementing a system. He is perfect them. See is a good nrl coach but shit development and systems coach.

13. G_Dog_Rota

G_Dog_Rota Kennel Addict Gilded x2 Premium Member

Adam Perry was the far better option out of the 2 at time the time, but his surname was not Hughes..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Teddybear

Teddybear Forum Regular

Juniors pathway manager maybe would suit him

• Like Like x 2
  15. Doomsdaydog

Doomsdaydog Forum Regular

There is a big cheerleading squad on here waving there pom poms for Holbrook.

Would use be happy and so supporting if Holbrook insisted in bringing Josh Reynolds back?

16. sgodllubsti

sgodllubsti Kennel Addict

meninga is completely clueless and out of his depth, he wouldn't have the faintest idea about coaching and dont give me the crap about him winning all those origins, he was only coach by name and nothing else

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Certified G

Certified G Forum Regular

St. Helens forum

I asked again last night in light of some recent reported developments and was told it's now definitely done. Done, done.

All relevant parties have been informed and The Dogs out of respect for St Helens and their shot at the title are leaving it to St Helens, and I guess Holbrook, to decide the timing of the announcement.

• Like Like x 3
  18. aymz maz

aymz maz Forum Regular

As head coach though ?

19. Certified G

Certified G Forum Regular

I don’t think he’d be coming in as an assistant, I believe that will be offered to pay as a take it or leave it

20. vegny

vegny Forum Regular

Might as well ask hetherington instead of hughes. And get him to bring his other son down from broncos.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.