Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If this all unfolds it'll be interesting to see if Georgallis, Antonelli (?), and the other guy (Penna?) still remain at the club, ditto Mr Skillsman.

If it's done, I'd say our club would announce it quickly to draw the eyes of players and player managers. Suddenly you have a cashed up club with a hopeful proven coach.

I'd be okay with our club letting him see out the ESL season, and let Pay decide if he wants a payout, or to work out his time.

Interesting times ahead.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
St Helens are flying. If a coach was going to extend their contract, he wouldn't hold out for months to sign..... obviously he is leaving them.
If he has signed with us it is laughable to think he is going to work under Dean Pay. Probably the stupidest report I've heard for a long time. Can u imagine the headline.

DOGS GET THEIR MAN. ASSISTANT CONFIRMED
Especially if the "assistant" is getting paid more too lol.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
St helens hierarchy are here atm looking for the replacement for holbrook, deal has been done, with us or titans, im betting us considering titans are still taking applications

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If this all unfolds it'll be interesting to see if Georgallis, Antonelli (?), and the other guy (Penna?) still remain at the club, ditto Mr Skillsman.
If it's done, I'd say our club would announce it quickly to draw the eyes of players and player managers. Suddenly you have a cashed up club with a hopeful proven coach.
I'd be okay with our club letting him see out the ESL season, and let Pay decide if he wants a payout, or to work out his time.
Interesting times ahead.
Now you are thinking MrI, a respectful dignified hand over carries far more credibility and respect compared to throwing out a coach with no replacement even on the horizon. Any player looking at the Titans would be thinking if they treat their head coach like that how will they treat me?

Go Dogs

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If our club was smart when extending Pay, you would like to think there would be a stipulation in there about an offer of an assistant role or similar if another coach was sourced as a head coach in 2020
How do you know that isn’t the case?
I'd be interested to know if the board were expecting us to lose against Cumulla and the Knoughts and then be able to come out and say that Pay would be "changing roles" as he has been unable to hit the "targets" set as part of his contract extension. These transitions take time so, like Brennan, if this were the case it would be likely he was told weeks ago he is on borrowed time whilst we talk with another party. Then we go on and win back to back games!
Imagine if we spank the Donkeys tonight! Especially given the current state of all these coaching rumours...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Interesting times ahead.
Holbrook will bring in his own people I’d say. Hopefully strength and conditioning gets a clean out as well.

I’d say managers and players would be fully aware if Holbrook was coach already. I doubt it will be made public until after the season has finished.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holbrook will bring in his own people I’d say. Hopefully strength and conditioning gets a clean out as well.

I’d say managers and players would be fully aware if Holbrook was coach already. I doubt it will be made public until after the season has finished.
Hope not.. by that time we'll be on page 4000 and at each other like warring tribes.

Hopefully we are sounding out a current local assistant like O'Brien. One thing I guess to take into account is we may attract better staff too, who will want to work under Holbrook (if it happens).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

You reckon that kinda news would be kept secret? News hounds? Managers? Players? All club officials?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You reckon that kinda news would be kept secret? News hounds? Managers? Players? All club officials?
It will leak for sure and they will deny it like that always do until they “officially” announce it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope not.. by that time we'll be on page 4000 and at each other like warring tribes.

Hopefully we are sounding out a current local assistant like O'Brien. One thing I guess to take into account is we may attract better staff too, who will want to work under Holbrook (if it happens).
I doubt O’Brien will switch clubs unless it’s for a head coach position. Heard Noddy is keen for it.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if the board were expecting us to lose against Cumulla and the Knoughts and then be able to come out and say that Pay would be "changing roles" as he has been unable to hit the "targets" set as part of his contract extension. These transitions take time so, like Brennan, if this were the case it would be likely he was told weeks ago he is on borrowed time whilst we talk with another party. Then we go on and win back to back games!
Imagine if we spank the Donkeys tonight! Especially given the current state of all these coaching rumours...
Maybe the players knew pay was on borrowed time and were informed he'd be out by the end of season so they decided to pull their collective fingers out of their arses and play as a unit for the rest of the year

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Maybe the players knew pay was on burrowed time and were informed he'd be out by the end of season so they decided to pull their collective fingers out of their arses and play as a unit for the rest of the year
Exactly what I thought. Playing to show they don’t need to go

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There’s no way Pay can still be head coach if Holbrook is at the club next year. It’s absolute madness and it will just create friction.
To right, it's like a dude coming in fucking your missus and you still decide to live with them lol

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
meninga is completely clueless and out of his depth, he wouldn't have the faintest idea about coaching and dont give me the crap about him winning all those origins, he was only coach by name and nothing else
What d fuk u on about

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Also other clubs (St Helen's and Titans).

Haha imagine if Holbrook announced he was going and the bloody Dragons did a sneaky and got him, meanwhile we got Barrett and Brennan. :D

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Also other clubs (St Helen's and Titans).

Haha imagine if Holbrook announced he was going and the bloody Dragons did a sneaky and got him, meanwhile we got Barrett and Brennan. :D
Haven't you heard? Mary is not going anywhere the Dragons are winning the comp this year lol

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrook given deadline
St Helens have added further intrigue around the future of Justin Holbrook by placing a deadline on the coach to accept the contract extension they’ve put on the table.

NRL.com understands Holbrook has until the end of July to take up the Super League club’s offer, with St Helens desperate to keep him despite being linked to the Gold Coast Titans and Canterbury Bulldogs.

However, the timing could leave Holbrook with a tough decision to make, as it appears unlikely the Titans will complete their extensive interview process in the next 13 days.

Justin Holbrook.©photosport.co.nz
While Holbrook comes highly recommended, Titans hierarchy are adamant they want to go through the proper process and speak with several candidates before making a decision.

A lot was made of the Mal Meninga-led review that ultimately led to then end of coach Garth Brennan’s tenure, however it’s interesting to note Brennan was never interviewed as part of the club’s six-week review.

Some say he was always meant to be the last person to be interviewed, however the relationship between coach and club diminished in his final weeks to the point where he wasn’t consulted on recruitment and retention matters.

Brennan also exchanged some choice words with hooker Nathan Peats in the weeks leading up to his departure.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
C'mon board just hurry up and sign him so the pay reign can finally come to its enivitable conclusion and he can look like a deer in frozen headlights at some other club - maybe the eels would like a "defensive coach"