Hetherington, Staines and Burton

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brent read says that we are deep in recruitment with these 3 but current situation could put us in danger of missing out or managers milking the club for more money If it’s not resolved soon.... but would be huge if we can land all 3 somehow
Most names will be dropped at the EGM in favour of the board.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
That makes sense.

It’s actually not too bad of a deal for everyone involved. We get him a year early, Burton won’t be stuck in second grade or on the bench, and Panthers will still have insurance in case of injuries.

My only concern would be if we made the finals, especially if we come up against Penrith. Would they let Burton play?
No way, surely that will be a clause in ~all future loan deals.

I would be fine with this scenario though - if it means next season we have actually made the finals lol

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Storm allowed Grant to play against them this year
I was referring to finals games specifically.

I don’t really mind if he doesn’t play during the regular season games against Penrith.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was referring to finals games specifically.

I don’t really mind if he doesn’t play during the regular season games against Penrith.
Who would agree to that? If he’s allowed to play in regular season games there no way a club would agree to not have that player available for the finals as well.
The players who were on short term loans for the Warriors were not allowed to play against their home clubs though.
This is the first time we’ve seen the loan arrangement and I’m not sure whether it will continue once lower grade footy returns. It may just depend on the clubs involved to agree on the terms and they may not be a blanket rule.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who would agree to that? If he’s allowed to play in regular season games there no way a club would agree to not have that player available for the finals as well.
The players who were on short term loans for the Warriors were not allowed to play against their home clubs though.
This is the first time we’ve seen the loan arrangement and I’m not sure whether it will continue once lower grade footy returns. It may just depend on the clubs involved to agree on the terms and they may not be a blanket rule.
Well ... I never thought loans would ever work in the NRL and they did one this year. Maybe it's the future?

Personally in this case it doesn't make sense. From the Panthers side they'd want to keep Burton, but for the Dogs they won't want to lose their playmaker halfway through the year if Burton has to suddenly go back to the Panthers. I just can't see it happening.

Maybe a year long loan with no option to make it permanent at the end of the year? I'm not sure.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans are getting forwards Tino and Fifita and we're getting Hetherington ????. Yeah he might offer a bit of agro but not much use if there's no skill with it. We need someone more like TPJ, Papali, Addin Fonua-Blake. Also we should be going for JAC ahead of Staines. We need all the attacking power we can get - as in "world class" attacking power. I seriously doubt Staines will improve us enough. Other clubs all have several current / recent rep stars in their backline. Surely se can afford 1-2. We should be offering Harry Grant 900K and B.Smith 750Ka season. First in best dressed. JAC also 600K to play fullback. Sign for 2022 Burton, and the best metre eater prop available.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Story is on the money, all 3 in deep talks to sign, (Laundy) has been dealing direct..except the txt from Danny Wielder this week might spook the players, minority tossers wanting to overthrow the Board are causing more harm than good..the club is about to take a big step in the right direction with Laundy’s influence..

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is becoming beyond a joke now, im sick of reading articles about these tits on the board arguing. The clown who told Laundys they can go also needs to piss off, they are putting alot of money into this club. All these idiots on the board only care about themselves, this club needs to come first, sick of us being the talk of the Nrl for all the wrong reasons, club is becoming a laughing stock because of the board. Staines, Burton and Hetherington would be very good signings, we need a quality hooker also and im happy. We miss out on them signings and we are in a world of trouble.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Titans are getting forwards Tino and Fifita and we're getting Hetherington ????. Yeah he might offer a bit of agro but not much use if there's no skill with it. We need someone more like TPJ, Papali, Addin Fonua-Blake. Also we should be going for JAC ahead of Staines. We need all the attacking power we can get - as in "world class" attacking power. I seriously doubt Staines will improve us enough. Other clubs all have several current / recent rep stars in their backline. Surely se can afford 1-2. We should be offering Harry Grant 900K and B.Smith 750Ka season. First in best dressed. JAC also 600K to play fullback. Sign for 2022 Burton, and the best metre eater prop available.
Look what Titans have had to pay to get those two players tho. I think Tino will be value for money (risk at the time), but Fifita I can't say the same. Buying someone like Hetherington for 300k is hoping to find a diamond in the rough. Nothing wrong with that (even tho I'm against signing Hetherington personally) as long as you're bringing in those top proven players too. B. Smith, Burton and JAC would be f'ing amazing. Welch at prop too. We're just praying at this point tho.

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ... I never thought loans would ever work in the NRL and they did one this year. Maybe it's the future?

Personally in this case it doesn't make sense. From the Panthers side they'd want to keep Burton, but for the Dogs they won't want to lose their playmaker halfway through the year if Burton has to suddenly go back to the Panthers. I just can't see it happening.

Maybe a year long loan with no option to make it permanent at the end of the year? I'm not sure.
Burton’s contract is reported to expire in 2021 So I agree that the Panthers really get nothing out of a loan deal. The best case scenario for us is that he’s released early to reduce cap pressure so they can extend other players in their squad with guys like Luai & Crichton also coming off contract in 2021 they can’t keep them all.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton’s contract is reported to expire in 2021 So I agree that the Panthers really get nothing out of a loan deal. The best case scenario for us is that he’s released early to reduce cap pressure so they can extend other players in their squad with guys like Luai & Crichton also coming off contract in 2021 they can’t keep them all.
Agree. If they do decently this year and even potentially go onto win it I'm sure there'll have to be upgrades to contracts etc. I think we're in with a VERY good chance of getting Burton actually, no matter what people say. But it won't be on loan

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's possible (Warriors did it this year, but it was an exception pretty sure) but what if we have him on loan for 2021 and the Panthers are allowed to recall him if Cleary or Luai are injured (for an extended period) and he remains there until they're back from injury? If that's the only way to make it work I'd take that.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's possible (Warriors did it this year, but it was an exception pretty sure) but what if we have him on loan for 2021 and the Panthers are allowed to recall him if Cleary or Luai are injured (for an extended period) and he remains there until they're back from injury? If that's the only way to make it work I'd take that.
No no no.

Looking at the EPL where they have loans, this is such a rare rare thing to do. They'll usually have certain lengths of loan, most commonly a year. Yes, it's possible to have such a loan but in our case it'd be absolutely stupid to have as we could lose him overnight meaning everything we've built around him at the club falls with his loss.

There's no way we'll do a loan. Our club isn't the best at recruitment, but there's no ways they're that stupid

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No no no.

Looking at the EPL where they have loans, this is such a rare rare thing to do. They'll usually have certain lengths of loan, most commonly a year. Yes, it's possible to have such a loan but in our case it'd be absolutely stupid to have as we could lose him overnight meaning everything we've built around him at the club falls with his loss.

There's no way we'll do a loan. Our club isn't the best at recruitment, but there's no ways they're that stupid
A loan for 2021 and sign him for 2022 (before or same time as the loan). You don't think that'd be better than waiting to 2022? We'd just be waiting one year for him anyways or are you suggesting you'd look elsewhere?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A loan for 2021 and sign him for 2022. You don't think that'd be better than waiting to 2022?
A loan for the entire year without a clause that he can go back? 100%. But a loan where they can recall him at any time is suicide from our club. Literally playing Russian Roulette.

Imagine if we got into the last 5 games with us close to the top 8. A Pantheris half get injured and they recall him. What would our club do then?

Nah.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look what Titans have had to pay to get those two players tho. I think Tino will be value for money (risk at the time), but Fifita I can't say the same. Buying someone like Hetherington for 300k is hoping to find a diamond in the rough. Nothing wrong with that (even tho I'm against signing Hetherington personally) as long as you're bringing in those top proven players too. B. Smith, Burton and JAC would be f'ing amazing. Welch at prop too. We're just praying at this point tho.
300k for Hetherington is fucking ridiculous money lol.