I've got my box of tissues ready :(

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's happening as we type.

I've got my box of tissues ready :(
I don't!

I have not prepared AT ALL! lol.

I should have been preparing allll day. But I'll be honest and say it slipped my mind altogether.

It will be very very... werid.. when he announces it. :uptight:

GIMMIE A TISSUE ****! :(

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't!

I have not prepared AT ALL! lol.

I should have been preparing allll day. But I'll be honest and say it slipped my mind altogether.

It will be very very... werid.. when he announces it. :uptight:

GIMMIE A TISSUE ****! :(
it's already been announced kimmy!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
:(

HAZEM ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT
Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hazem El Masri has announced today that he will retire from playing Rugby League at the conclusion of the 2009 season.

As the highest pointscorer in the history of the premiership, as the most capped Bulldogs first grade player (305 games) and boasting a plethora of other records, as a Ken Stephen Medal winner and having just recently been named Women In League’s Favourite Son he will be celebrated as one of the genuine greats of Rugby League.

Given his unique ability to connect with Bulldogs fans, Rugby League fans and with the community at large, the Bulldogs will compile a book of tributes for presentation to Hazem at his last home game for the Club (Round 25 v New Zealand Warriors). Fans wishing to contribute to the book of messages can do so clicking here. Bulldogs members have the opportunity to get your friends and family involved in paying recognition to one of the great Bulldogs by logging on here

El Masri returned to Belmore Sportsground to make today’s announcement and he was joined by his wife Arwa, current team mates, coach Kevin Moore and Bulldogs legends Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb.

“Retirement is not an easy decision, I play Rugby League because I love it but the time has come for me to make the difficult call that this year will be my last,” El Masri said.

“I have enjoyed every high that Rugby League has had to offer: I’ve won a premiership, I’ve played for my State and for my Country and no matter what happens from this point forward, I will retire from playing a happy man.

“I’m so grateful for the support I’ve enjoyed along the way: my wife, my family, staff at the Club and the Bulldogs fans have all played a major role in what I’ve achieved.

“I’m honoured to be a role model. I’ve played the game clean and to the best of my ability and in the face of every challenge I’ve aimed to be strong and loyal on and off the field.

“With this decision now made I look forward to getting on with the rest of the season and helping to make it last as long as possible for everyone at the Bulldogs.”

Bulldogs Chairman Dr George Peponis says El Masri’s legacy will be lasting.

“Hazem’s contributions to this Club have been profound and are immeasurable. He is an inspiration and we are privileged to be able to call him a Bulldog,” Dr Peponis said.

“His work ethic, his professionalism and his desire to make a positive difference to people’s lives have been an example to all who have played alongside him.

“He will be remembered as one of our Club’s truly great players.”

At 33 years of age and as the current leader of the NRL point scoring tally, El Masri has been a major factor in the Bulldogs success so far this season.

“I’d like to see him go out at the top of his game,” said coach Kevin Moore.

“If he keeps playing the type of footy he has been we’ll be a better team for it. He just keeps on delivering: finishing off tries and kicking goals from everywhere. He’s a great asset to this Club.”

Hazem won’t be lost to the game and already the NRL has already begun discussions with him regarding a future role in Rugby League.

“Hazem has been a constant reminder of the good work that is undertaken by so many of our players in the community,” NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop, said today.

“Certainly we’d like to see him around Rugby League for a long time to come and we will talk with him more about that in the weeks ahead.

“In the meantime I think every fan will want to take some time at a game between now and the end of the year to get a last look at him in action on the field.”

RECORDS & ACHIEVEMENTS

NRL Records

1) Most NRL Points – 305 games – 154 tries – 851 goals – 2318 points
2) Most Points in a Season – 342 – 16 tries – 139 goals in 2004
3) Most Goals in a Season – 139 in 2004
4) Most Consecutive Goals – 35 in 2003
5) Most Consecutive NRL Games – 2nd behind Jason Taylor (194) with 174 games
6) Most Tries for a NRL Club – 3 rd behind Ken Irvine (171 for Norths) & Andrew Ettingshausen (165 for Cronulla) with 154 tries

Hazem has scored 200 points in a season 6 occasions: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 & 2007

Bulldog Records

1) Most Club Games – 360
2) Most NRL Games – 305
3) Most Points for the Club – 2478 – 189 tries – 861 goals
4) Most Tries for the Club – 189
5) Most NRL tries – 154
6) Most Points in a Game – 34

Representative Career

One State of Origin games & One Test for Australia

He has played in one NRL Grand Final winning team – 2004 & played in Reserve Grade Grand Final winning team – 1998

Achievements:

Ambassador for Premiers Reading Challenge

Ambassador for Anti-Discrimination Board Postcards Programme

Ambassador for NSW Government’s Stop Violence Against Women campaign

NRL Ken Stephen Medal Winner, 2002

Named as one of Sydney’s 100 Most Influential People – Sydney Magazine, 2009

Role Model of the Year – Lebanese Association of NSW, 2009

Women in League Favourite Son Award, 2009

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I am upset, i love the guy and is one of the best on/off the field, i wish him all the best and hope he goes out on the biggest stage

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the memories, Hazem.

I look forward to living through every second of football you have left in you. That final home game will be something so sad.

Love always.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done hazem..you will be missed not only by bulldogs fans but by all rugby league fans

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FFS I want to go to the final home game! can't happen though :( ohwell we'll just have to make the GF wont we? :grinning:

I can't even comprehend how weird it will be next year.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Dont bother, he just wants people to know he still posts here and reply to him, one of those people that needs to be different to feel like they fit in, just dont bother.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i guess so...people like that arent worth the time tbh

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
I'll definately be there with him for his last hurrah...

Doing the lap of honour at a packed ANZ Stadium after we've just won a historic premiership after being spooners the year before!!!!

He's just a champion bloke. Revered by all and a statesman of the game. There is no bigger incentive for our side to really give this comp a massive shake up in 2009 (well even more than we already have :o) and win it for the El Magic man.

Status
Not open for further replies.