Status
Not open for further replies.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Hamilton switches to Brawn GP!
Championship bid back on track
01/04/09 09:37

In a surprise statement issued shortly after midnight on this date, the highly competitive Brawn GP team shocked the F1 community by announcing that Lewis Hamilton is switching to the Brackley-based outfit for the remainder of the 2009 season.

The reigning World Champion will therefore leave the McLaren Mercedes team with immediate effect, and will be wearing the Brawn operation's white overalls at this week-end's Malaysian Grand Prix.

“It was a logical decision to make when considering the situation both our teams are facing at present,” Ross Brawn stated. “Everyone is very confident in regards to our potential in both the drivers' and constructors' championships.”

It seems that Brawn GP's current budget, combined with the lack of performance provided by McLaren's new single-seater, provoked an important brainstorming session within the Mercedes camp which ultimately resulted in pushing the daring plan forward and putting the best chances on their side.

“You have to look at the numbers,” explained Norbert Haug, VP of Mercedes-Benz Motorsports. “By switching Lewis and part of our budget to Brawn – which is already Mercedes-powered – statistically we can manage to win both championships this season.”

“I know there's only been one race so far this year,” Haug admitted, “but it adds up.

“This is really a wonderful gesture,” said a smiling Hamilton. “This is the best way for me to help my regular team move forward. With the spotlight on me at Brawn while I win all these races, McLaren don't have to worry about having a World Champion aboard and all that pressure.”

“Really,” he added, “I don't know why I hadn't thought of this myself!”

Ron Dennis, Martin Whitmarsh and Anthony Hamilton issued a joint statement which reads: “We have raised this child to be a World Champion again and again (…) this is a bold step in preserving that goal.”

The situation means that either Jenson Button or Rubens Barrichello will have to move aside to make place for Hamilton. The decision regarding who will sit in the vacated McLaren car has not yet been made, but the news was obviously badly received.

“I think not,” said Button. “You see, I'm spotted to be the next Brit F1 star.”

Reached by phone, Barrichello's response was more direct: “I told them I was through with making way for champions!”

It is unknown at present if the changes announced today will affect the Brawn team's expected title sponsorship with the Virgin empire, but it has been reported that a portion of the money previously tagged for F1 will now be used to purchase a fleet of small fishing vessels off the coast of Newfoundland.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol cant they win a championship with Button or Barrichello?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL. April fools indeed.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
*Waits for Rodzilla and his anti McLaren/Hamilton propaganda*

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
omg, this is an outrage because hamilton owes mclaren eveything he has got

at the first sign of trouble he fricken bails on them!, thats the kind of man he is

mclaren got rid of alonso for him and this is how he reays them, he cant handle being in a slow car he needs the best all the time ffs>:(

i hate hamilton so much

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha you idiot Rod. It was obvious that article was a fake regardless of whether it was April Fool's or not. I don't McLaren would just let Hamilton go and if you read the quotes you would surely have to know it was a fake. :p

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mercedes/McLaren/Hamilton MUCH > Ferrari/Massa.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol the title got me

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
ferrari will rein supreme by the time they head to europe. once mclaren and ferrari put in their diffusers, brawn will be left behind

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL, keep dreaming Hani, ferrari days are over

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
LOL, keep dreaming Hani, ferrari days are over
thats what they all said in 2005. 2006 shumi finished 2nd, 2007 kimi won, 2008 massa finished 2nd ;)

ferrari wil always be there abouts if not champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.