Halfback Moses Mbye discusses his positional future at the Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he lacks vision, he lacks the options. ObviousIy he has a long way to go but imo his development by the club has been very poor and has set him back a fair bit. He has always been a very good passer and runner of the ball, so the most obvious thing to work on would of been his decision making. Unfortunately Des thought otherwise and ran with his Des ball system where he used him as basically a centre/fb and really didn't work on key areas of his game.

I don't know who the halfback is that we should sign at this stage, but i sure as shit knew we should of signed one a long time ago when we had a chance and change our styIe of play.

I suggested Maloney at the time he was off contract, not many people on here were interested. Obviously he isn't an out and out halfback and more a ball runner, but he was an experienced Premiership winning playmaker that had a kicking game while also being one of the better goal kickers in the game. All 3 things we clearly needed. From what i hear, Des didn't rate him and Maloney went on to sign a similar priced contract to the one we signed Kasiano on.

At this stage Ata Hingano looks like a decent option from off contract players. But he is inexperienced and what we really need is an experienced playmaker, so that leaves us with either of the Tigers halves...not overly confident with them either though a bit of strictured footy might do some good for them.
The Tigers have been flogged week in and week out ever since they got their "star" halves. It's no good setting up a couple of tries if you let 3 in every game. It's time we moved on from even thinking either of those two would be even close to improving what we currently have. Surely we have a kid coming through the 20's who has a bit of go in him. If we are going to develop someone it may as well be someone from within. There's no point moving either Mbye or Reynolds unless we have someone better and there aren't too many of them around that we could buy. Foran is about it currently.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Tigers have been flogged week in and week out ever since they got their "star" halves. It's no good setting up a couple of tries if you let 3 in every game. It's time we moved on from even thinking either of those two would be even close to improving what we currently have. Surely we have a kid coming through the 20's who has a bit of go in him. If we are going to develop someone it may as well be someone from within. There's no point moving either Mbye or Reynolds unless we have someone better and there aren't too many of them around that we could buy. Foran is about it currently.
We don't really have anyone other then maybe Wakeham and even he is a bit hit and miss tbh.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone that wants to be a halfback of an NRL team does not say what Mbye said..
Imagine now des coming out saying that he's happy not to coach us but he's doing it cause thats where the club needs him.
Who advises our players what to say in the media?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye would be a far better player if he had gone to Melbourne, he would be better off being coached by Bellamy and playing in the 6 next to Cronk.

What he's said is a bad reflection on Hasler. As usual Hasler is trying to turn a player into something they're not. He's also overpaid him so Hasler is trying to save face and make things work by force.

As for moving him to the centres or hooker it's a massive amount of money to be paying someone in that position.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Wow, I walked into a Mbye hate fest. Blame old mate for playing him out of position......leaves thread!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree go and throw 300k a year on 2 of the best up and coming halves in under 20s you would think one of them will come good

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in other words he's a fullback
Agree with the logic mate.
He's a ball runner and a very quick one. Perfect.
Let him find space, he puts the foot down whoosh.
Mbye at number 1 is in line with his salary.

No way will he handle the D at nine and his natural running game would be cruelled.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
MBYE WILL PLAY ANY ROLE

He’s wearing the No.7 for Canterbury but Moses Mbye says he’s not married to the idea of playing his career out in the halves.

A utility player who is also at home at centre, five-eighth or hooker, Mbye said he’s willing to play any role the team wants him

Dogs breathing new life
I consider myself a footballer,” Mbye told

“I consider myself as having a good football brain and able to play a few different positions.

“At the moment I’m required in the halves and where I’ll apply myself the best I can. I think I can lead our team around in the halves.”
Not married to playing in the halves. So are you married to the idea of tearing up your contract with us and moving on so we can find a person that DOES want to play in the halves.

For Gods sake give me a break. He has a football brain eh?...but goes missing in many sets, when given the ball on the last tackle will often pass it to a centre with defence all around him than kick it himself, has no idea about how to direct plays in a set of 6, cant grubber to get a repeat set inside an opponents 10, but he has a football brain.

Hes a utility player eh? ...too small to play centre, not robust enough for hooker...what position do you want to play meathead.

I remember the days a player would say...I dont mind where I play as long as its in 1st grade. I cant recall T Lamb or S Mortimer saying they had a good football brain. Instead their actions on the field proved they did. Mbye and Reynolds constantly talking themselves up makes me want to vomit.

Id love nothing more than he and Hasler to fuck off to Manly next year. Good riddance. Youve got no idea how to play football. Ive seen Under 10's with more ability to lead a team around the park than you.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People getting hung up wether he is in the 6 or 7 lol ....this is the first year I've ever seen our halves link up, usually they just stand on opposite sides of the ruck .

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If Moses really said that, I'm convinced now he's destined to plod.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ffs des stop doing missionary all your life try something different put him at fb

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There is little difference between a 1/2 or 5/8. The way the teams are programmed now, one plays on the left and one on the right.
The only difference is the 1/2 feeds the scrum. The big requirement though, is that both players need to be creative and compliment each other.
Doesnt seem to be happening.
That's shifted again. Look at the teams having success at the moment:
Storm: Organiser and runner
Roosters: organiser and runner
Eels: organiser and runner
Cowboys: organiser and runner
Sharks: organiser/runner and Townsend

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to get out of halfback asap.. through a good pass on the weekend.but still.need alot more from our halfback
They gotta be putting too much pressure on themselves, why don't they just jog around and chip behind the defense like they are down the local park, surely halfback isnt so hard, just gotta put the ball where it might cause them some panic and be quicker than them.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most modern day elites have been chopped and changed with their positions. Eg Lockyer, Inglis, Dugan. I think even Thurston was a 6 and 7.
They're just some examples.
It's not a weakness in trying.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anyone check out Denan Kemps 'LockerRoom' analysis of our tries on the weekend ? we are still a rabble in attack for the most part. However these subtle things i wasnt really noticing are worth highlighting. Some decent awareness and team work displayed by both our halves and supporting players in these examples

Status
Not open for further replies.