News Gus v Tigers: The Luai Lottery goes into overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of that goes out the window when another club offers 200-300k more a year. Clearly Luai was after the most money. Money was the biggest factor. I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price. He's not worth $1.2 million - $1.3 million for 5 years. That makes him pretty much the highest paid player in the comp.
I can’t believe people are actually critical of us not signing him for the ridiculous amount Tigers offered. Fmd thankfully we actually have someone with a clue in charge.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree 100% mate.

I actually think a million plus for Laui and AFB would be almost irresponsible .... for that kind of money i expect slam dunk signings.

5 years of Laui could have also potentially hindered the development of Woods/ KO who you know i am very high on.
Hundred percent. You only pay that sort of money on sure things. Players who have performed for many years regardless of who their team mates were.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers now have the money to sign Terrell May to play a similar role to Lenui and help keep one May brother and maybe get another back from Super League. I really have grave concerns about Gus' recruitment as it just doesn't seem to prioritise spine or middles who can make a difference in winning us games. It reminds me of Des when we were more about being conservative and trying not to lose games rather than trying outright to win them.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m one relieved supporter. That could ruin our cap right there. We are requiring a dynamic front rower, not a number 6 being highest paid player in the game. Gees he gonna have some pressure on he’s shoulders at that joint. Will Api even still be around??

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai getting $1.25 …… makes you wonder what Cleary would pull on the open market ..

Might see some big names agitating for a pay rise after seeing Luai’s new price tag ..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Luai getting $1.25 …… makes you wonder what Cleary would pull on the open market ..

Might see some big names agitating for a pay rise after seeing Luai’s new price tag ..
If we were offering 1.5m and 5 years for Cleary I wouldn’t have a problem.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cleary would be getting above market value at panther now 1mil+ house, boat, car, Playstation and happy meals

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score

He’d be the games first 2 million dollar a season player. He’s worth double what Luai is

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Panthers now have the money to sign Terrell May to play a similar role to Lenui and help keep one May brother and maybe get another back from Super League. I really have grave concerns about Gus' recruitment as it just doesn't seem to prioritise spine or middles who can make a difference in winning us games. It reminds me of Des when we were more about being conservative and trying not to lose games rather than trying outright to win them.
Doubt he would go there to play 20 mins a game.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend he isn’t a good player. He absolutely is.

Though I’m far from confident he is an elite 1mil+ player.

More concerning is a 5 year deal. Nothing to do with the shoulder injury (though could be interesting to see how he goes this year).

I’m very happy we aren’t with him at 6mil for 5 years.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend he isn’t a good player. He absolutely is.

Though I’m far from confident he is an elite 1mil+ player.

More concerning is a 5 year deal. Nothing to do with the shoulder injury (though could be interesting to see how he goes this year).

I’m very happy we aren’t with him at 6mil for 5 years.
I hear you mate, also now being on top dollar, and no longer at the Panthers and winning every game along side his mates, remembering he’s already got 3 premiership rings, will the passion and drive still be there for 5 years ..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Name your sauce, or this is just 100% speculation ..
He lost the battle money wise and he lost the battle in convincing him to come for less. Also I only wanted him if we let go of Burton. Would have been a disaster for this team having both of them together

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
…and suddenly a new contender has emerged
What did @bradtalo say that was wrong? And how exactly do you think Crichton is going to help us win a comp when we don’t have a quality halfback or decent middles?

The pro Gus crowd are so quick to ridicule others, but never able to back up their insults with common sense.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were offering 1.5m and 5 years for Cleary I wouldn’t have a problem.
Gus wouldn't offer Cleary anywhere near 1.5M. He'd first have to prove he wanted to leave the Panthers. His manager would need to call Gus because Gus isn't proactive in lifting the phone and Cleary would need to come to us for a few hundred grand less than he can get elsewhere because he wants to play for our great performing club

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des created one of the most formidable packs with a very good backline but one of the weakest spines in the game (Reynolds). Gus has zero forwards, very average and unproven backline and the worst spine in the competition. I really do not know how he can fix this after missing out several times. He hasn’t started to prove for a minute he can turn this around

Status
Not open for further replies.