Greatest Player of All Time

Who is the G.O.A.T??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you pick Lockyer or Thurston then I have lost respect for your rugby league opinion.

1. Andrew Johns
2. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith
3. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith
U lost at wally Lewis .... and Thurston and Lockyer are better than Lewis, did I say u lost me a Wally Lewis lol

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No doubt he's a special talent doesn't erase the fact he used, to enhance performance. Thats not level playing field, different story if you're gona get on afterwards.
He didn't use to enhance performance you flog.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
U lost at wally Lewis .... and Thurston and Lockyer are better than Lewis, did I say u lost me a Wally Lewis lol
Wally Lewis is the best Origin player of all-time. Not even close.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My G.O.A.T. is Darren Lockyer.

He dominated in two positions, Fullback & 5/8

He won Grand Finals in different positions.

Yep in 1998 he was fullback against the Bulldogs. (I had to mention that)
Plus the inbred bogan invented the word "raper"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see where your coming from, but you cant discount someones ability because of the quality of the company they played with. For starters, he has never played without them, whether it be melbourne, QLD or Australia. Therefore there is no way to quantify whether he would be any worse without them. I cant help but feel that Cam Smith would make any team he played in better.
Agreed, melbourne won grandfinals illegally and should not have been able to keep that team together. But individually he has won many awards also.
Out there question, do you think Fiji or Tonga could have made the final with Cam Smith pulling the strings? Probably.
In any case, my vote goes to Thurston. But Cam Smith is almost neck and neck.
I'm not discounting his ability. I can see why people might look at him as the best player going around. He's probably the hooker who turned the position into a playmaking role. He's got the ability to get forwards on the front foot and give more time to the playmakers alongside of him through his ability to read the game and act on it quickly. As well as that he has a pretty handy kicking game. I agree that he could probably improve most sides he played in. And while he does have some ability to make big plays, I just don't think that he matches Thurston in that area.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of you didn’t see Arthur Beetson play. If he were on the open market circa 1973 when he was 28, he’d demand 1.5M a season. Easily the greatest forward the world has ever seen.
His stats in the 1975 GF were ridiculous.
75 minutes
1 try
3 try assists
5 line break assists
25 hit ups
245 metres
16 offloads
22 tackles
Those of you that play SuperCoach would know that’s nearly 200 pts.
Beetson did this on a regular basis.
He’s the best ever.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Most of you didn’t see Arthur Beetson play. If he were on the open market circa 1973 when he was 28, he’d demand 1.5M a season. Easily the greatest forward the world has ever seen.
75 minutes
1 try
3 try assists
5 line break assists
25 hit ups
245 metres
16 offloads
22 tackles
He’s the best ever.
Fuck me and that's with the 3m rule. Best prop ever easily but Joey was better.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No! If you think Lockyer and/or Thurston are better or as good as Joey then you don't know rugby league. Lockyer and Thurston don't deserve to be immortals
First of all, lockyer wasnt on my list, and second of all, i would put money on Thurston becoming the next immortal alongside Smith.
In any case, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so to say they dont know rugby league because of their opinion is arrogant, and rediculous. Did you ever see Fulton, Langlands, Beetson, Gasnier, Raper, Churchil or even Lewis play?? So how can you fairly have an opinion?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No doubt he's a special talent doesn't erase the fact he used, to enhance performance. Thats not level playing field, different story if you're gona get on afterwards.
Why do people claim taking ecstacy or coke is performance enhancing. Its just nonsense. Unless he was racking up lines before he ran out on the field of course. Its out of your system within a few days, and in those days afterwards you are no where near peak form!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not discounting his ability. I can see why people might look at him as the best player going around. He's probably the hooker who turned the position into a playmaking role. He's got the ability to get forwards on the front foot and give more time to the playmakers alongside of him through his ability to read the game and act on it quickly. As well as that he has a pretty handy kicking game. I agree that he could probably improve most sides he played in. And while he does have some ability to make big plays, I just don't think that he matches Thurston in that area.
I agree, but the thing with Smith is that he doesnt do all of the amazing things players like Thurston, Lewis or Joey do, because he is the one that gives them the space to do it. He controls a game better then any player to have ever played the game, no doubt in my mind. but he is not the most skillful. However, which is more important? A player who makes every single player around him much better, or a player who will single handedly dominate and win games?.........Its a debate for the ages.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
75 minutes
1 try
3 try assists
5 line break assists
25 hit ups
245 metres
16 offloads
22 tackles
He’s the best ever.
Pretty incredible stats arent they. Makes SBW look average. Lol I guess there really should only be one immortal in each position. Take away the era they played in, its still impossible to compare the best prop to the best fullback to the best backrower to the vest half or hooker. Its just not possible.
I just wish i was lucky enough to have seen all of the immortals play in their prime like my dad. But i guess im pretty lucky to have seen Lewis, Johns, Thurston, Smith and other amazing players like Lockyer, Maninga, Lamb, mortimer etc.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
75 minutes
1 try
3 try assists
5 line break assists
25 hit ups
245 metres
16 offloads
22 tackles
He’s the best ever.
Pretty good stats for a prop. And he achieved most of his success by only lasting for 1/2 a game.
He could challenge Noel Cleal at a pie eating contest.
He was often referred to as Half a game Artie.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hate comparing pre 2000 players to the modern day player... the game is so much faster and demanding physically.

Put a Thurston or Smith in a 90s comp. They would become immortals before they retired lol

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good stats for a prop. And he achieved most of his success by only lasting for 1/2 a game.
He could challenge Noel Cleal at a pie eating contest.
He was often referred to as Half a game Artie.
You are showing your lack of knowledge. Beetson was referred to as half a game Artie in 1966 at Balmain. Didn’t last long. From 1970 to 1977 he averaged 75 min a game and very often played 80. Compare that to today.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty incredible stats arent they. Makes SBW look average. Lol I guess there really should only be one immortal in each position. Take away the era they played in, its still impossible to compare the best prop to the best fullback to the best backrower to the vest half or hooker. Its just not possible.
I just wish i was lucky enough to have seen all of the immortals play in their prime like my dad. But i guess im pretty lucky to have seen Lewis, Johns, Thurston, Smith and other amazing players like Lockyer, Maninga, Lamb, mortimer etc.
My father who has seen them all, rates John Raper as the best he’s ever seen. I threw up Cam Smith or JT, and he said they were wonderful players. Smith is the best dummy half he’s seen. He refuses to use the term hooker in rugby league. He loves JT, but he tells me that Raper was simply supreme in everything he did

Status
Not open for further replies.