Greatest Player of All Time

Who is the G.O.A.T??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First up, Cam Smith shits me. I hate how he gets away with everything and manipulates the refs all day every day, and i hate melbourne even more. But given the year he has had, and the fact he just won another golden boot, is he possibly the G.O.A.T???
Perhaps people with a few more years then myself, and with a whole lot more wisdom, may have a better idea?? Have you seen better?
Personally i would rather put Thurston just ahead of him, but Cam Smith probably really is the best. His toughness and durability have to be considered, and of course the amount of records he holds. Most games played, most games by a forward, most points by a forward, etc. Plus he has at least one more year in him. Probably a few.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First up, Cam Smith shits me. I hate how he gets away with everything and manipulates the refs all day every day, and i hate melbourne even more. But given the year he has had, and the fact he just won another golden boot, is he possibly the G.O.A.T???
Perhaps people with a few more years then myself, and with a whole lot more wisdom, may have a better idea?? Have you seen better?
Personally i would rather put Thurston just ahead of him, but Cam Smith probably really is the best. His toughness and durability have to be considered, and of course the amount of records he holds. Most games played, most games by a forward, most points by a forward, etc. Plus he has at least one more year in him. Probably a few.
Perhaos all the options are wrong. It may well turn out that our future G.O.A.T could be none other then Kerrod Holland???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
George Rose swallowed a Goat , does that count?
It depends what kind of goat to be honest. Was it a kid? Or was it fully grown with big fuck off horns?? If it had big fuck off horns and a really sweet goaty, then maybe the answer could be yes.....

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has to be Thurston for mine for skill, execution & that desire to win each & every contest over & over again. Pity most of it was wasted on the Cowboys.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has to be Thurston for mine for skill, execution & that desire to win each & every contest over & over again. Pity most of it was wasted on the Cowboys.
Lol i guess everyone would rather he did it all with the bulldogs. Imagine how many premiershios we would have bow if we had have kept him.
At least we were lucky enough to have seen him play though.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's hard rating players from different eras, as the style of play changes so much every decade.

I judge this based on who I think could walk into any team and instantly give them a shot at a Premiership. The more and more I think about it Cam Smith comes up everytime. Thurston's great, but even he's been part of some poor years at the Cowboys. Cam Smith always seems to have success whatever he does and whoever he plays with.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I 100% hate it, I can’t go past Cameron Smith! Once he retires, I’m sure Bellamy will either find another team to coach or hang up the clipboard!

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much I hate Cameron Smith, there is non better than him at this stage. Success follows him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's hard rating players from different eras, as the style of play changes so much every decade.

I judge this based on who I think could walk into any team and instantly give them a shot at a Premiership. The more and more I think about it Cam Smith comes up everytime. Thurston's great, but even he's been part of some poor years at the Cowboys. Cam Smith always seems to have success whatever he does and whoever he plays with.
I have to agree. But i couldnt vote for him. I went for thurston just because.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
easily Andrew Johns as he changed the way the game is played and is far better than Thurston. Joey orchestrated GF wins in 97 and 01 against the odds.
JT can't defend anywhere near as good as Joey. Also when you take his criticism of Pearce into account (about not winning big games) forgot to look at himself.... featured in a GF in 04 didn't do much, then in 2015 he tried hard but really couldn't get the job done... Michael Morgan saved his arse and then he missed the conversion... if it wasn't for Ben Hunt, Thurston chokes imo. Yes JT is a great player but he will never be better than Joey in my books.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Not Cam Smith - he's good but over-rated propaganda wank fest. Not his fault, but the media, simply because he's a fkn QLDer.

Now for me it's between the 2 who I've seen - Joey Johns and JT. Both were injury prone but gees, I think Joey just shades out JT. Just.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure Langlands should even be there after recent accusations.

This isn't an easy question to answer as the game changes.

Players that dominated in one era would struggle in another.

So you really can't say one players the best of all time.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally don't rate Smith anywhere near the all time best players. He's the best hooker going around at the moment, but Melbourne always seem to have a free reign to slow down the play and to experiment with different wrestling techniques that always wind up getting banned after a season. During Smiths time in the game I've yet to see him play inm a team that other clubs wouldn't envy having on their rosters and the facts are that most of the premiership wins he's been involved in have been ones where the club was significantly cheating the salary cap.. Even at origin level he's always had great players to use. I don't rate Andrew johns as highly as a lot of people do either. Johns was brilliant to start his career, but went to shit for the last 4 seasons he played. The media have built these guys up to a point where it's just easier to compliment them than to risk pointing out their faults and face ridicule from those who can't see past media hype.

Thurston would go in the running in my opinion. Even in some rubbish Cowboys teams he's always been a standout. Most halves require a good forward pack to set a platform and for many years the NQ pack were less than average.

Smith is among a group of players that will live off his hype for a long time after he retires though and that makes me a little bit sick..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I personally don't rate Smith anywhere near the all time best players. He's the best hooker going around at the moment, but Melbourne always seem to have a free reign to slow down the play and to experiment with different wrestling techniques that always wind up getting banned after a season. During Smiths time in the game I've yet to see him play inm a team that other clubs wouldn't envy having on their rosters and the facts are that most of the premiership wins he's been involved in have been ones where the club was significantly cheating the salary cap.. Even at origin level he's always had great players to use. I don't rate Andrew johns as highly as a lot of people do either. Johns was brilliant to start his career, but went to shit for the last 4 seasons he played. The media have built these guys up to a point where it's just easier to compliment them than to risk pointing out their faults and face ridicule from those who can't see past media hype.

Thurston would go in the running in my opinion. Even in some rubbish Cowboys teams he's always been a standout. Most halves require a good forward pack to set a platform and for many years the NQ pack were less than average.

Smith is among a group of players that will live off his hype for a long time after he retires though and that makes me a little bit sick..
Thurston is such a weak defender though... i cant call a player an all time great when they get steam rolled every game

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a no brainer, Cam Smith easily.

Apart from the way he completely controls a game, he has leadership, is never injured, a good team man and family man, clean off-field record, can pass, kick, run, tackle, kick goals and has an X-factor about him. There is literally no other complete footballer that comes close. He has more accolades and achievements than pretty much anyone else in the game.

His only downside would be is that he can only play hooker or half, but who really cares about that?

Basically if he quits tomorrow there would be teams queuing at his door to sign him as a coach, I honestly think he is taking the reigns over when bellyache retires.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My G.O.A.T. is Darren Lockyer.

He dominated in two positions, Fullback & 5/8

He won Grand Finals in different positions.

Yep in 1998 he was fullback against the Bulldogs. (I had to mention that)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.