Greatest Player of All Time

Who is the G.O.A.T??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thurston is such a weak defender though... i cant call a player an all time great when they get steam rolled every game
I don't think Thurston is the strongest defender, but he's no slouch and he won't hide in defense either. What he offers is a focal point for attack for those around him. He's got footwork, pace, game reading ability galore and a cool head. Halves aren't traditionally the greatest defenders and from that perspective he's probably a decent defender as far as halves go. I think that if you broke it down he's probably got the ability to create more out of nothing through his own abilities than any other player in the game. I honestly can't think of a single player that has the ability to do the things he does on a football field.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Opinions are like bums, everybody has one!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My G.O.A.T. is Darren Lockyer.

He dominated in two positions, Fullback & 5/8

He won Grand Finals in different positions.

Yep in 1998 he was fullback against the Bulldogs. (I had to mention that)
I hadn't thought of Lockyer. But I rate him as better than Johns and more influential than Smith although he played in some pretty strong sides through his career as well. I still think Thurston offers more to teams than all of them.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you pick Lockyer or Thurston then I have lost respect for your rugby league opinion.

1. Andrew Johns
2. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith
3. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally don't rate Smith anywhere near the all time best players. He's the best hooker going around at the moment, but Melbourne always seem to have a free reign to slow down the play and to experiment with different wrestling techniques that always wind up getting banned after a season. During Smiths time in the game I've yet to see him play inm a team that other clubs wouldn't envy having on their rosters and the facts are that most of the premiership wins he's been involved in have been ones where the club was significantly cheating the salary cap.. Even at origin level he's always had great players to use. I don't rate Andrew johns as highly as a lot of people do either. Johns was brilliant to start his career, but went to shit for the last 4 seasons he played. The media have built these guys up to a point where it's just easier to compliment them than to risk pointing out their faults and face ridicule from those who can't see past media hype.

Thurston would go in the running in my opinion. Even in some rubbish Cowboys teams he's always been a standout. Most halves require a good forward pack to set a platform and for many years the NQ pack were less than average.

Smith is among a group of players that will live off his hype for a long time after he retires though and that makes me a little bit sick..
I see where your coming from, but you cant discount someones ability because of the quality of the company they played with. For starters, he has never played without them, whether it be melbourne, QLD or Australia. Therefore there is no way to quantify whether he would be any worse without them. I cant help but feel that Cam Smith would make any team he played in better.
Agreed, melbourne won grandfinals illegally and should not have been able to keep that team together. But individually he has won many awards also.
Out there question, do you think Fiji or Tonga could have made the final with Cam Smith pulling the strings? Probably.
In any case, my vote goes to Thurston. But Cam Smith is almost neck and neck.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you pick Lockyer or Thurston then I have lost respect for your rugby league opinion.

1. Andrew Johns
2. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith
3. Wally Lewis/Cameron Smith
Thats a rediculous statement!! Every perso on the list is a current immortal, or will be an immortal. Therefore any one of them deserves to be considered the best ever. An opinion is just that.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Andrew Johns is still first with daylight second tbh.
I used to think this myself. But i feel as though Thurston and Smith have overtaken him. I cant describe exactly why though. Maybe its because they are both still playing.
Andrew Johns was no doubt one of the very best though.
I guess there is no real answer to the poll. They are all amazing players who deserve their recognition.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My G.O.A.T. is Darren Lockyer.

He dominated in two positions, Fullback & 5/8

He won Grand Finals in different positions.

Yep in 1998 he was fullback against the Bulldogs. (I had to mention that)
Of course you do. Just like all of us Doggies supporters thinking Thurston is the best.
He probably deserves to be on the list, but i ran out of options as you can only provide so many options for the poll. Lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I used to think this myself. But i feel as though Thurston and Smith have overtaken him. I cant describe exactly why though. Maybe its because they are both still playing.
Andrew Johns was no doubt one of the very best though.
I guess there is no real answer to the poll. They are all amazing players who deserve their recognition.
Yeah they are all exceptional players and I don’t question your right to a different opinion... or to be undecided between the three. They are all true greats... no doubt...

I just think Joey was on another level. What he did for Newcastle.... I mean they have never really been a true powerhouse club when Andrew Johns wasn’t in the team. I don’t think they’ve recovered from his retirement as a club even now... they still haven’t filled that void. You could say the same for NSW.

I think back to that origin comeback game where he almost single handedly blew a star studded Qld team apart.... or that first half in the Grand Final against Parra. Just the sustained impact he had on club and state... I just think he was on another level.

But they are all good enough to be worthy of a he discussion. I can understand if other people lean another way.

I don’t really like Johns. I think he’s an arrogant jerk and he shits me up the wall when he calls the dogs. But still...personally, I’d have to say I think he’s the best... at least the best that I’ve seen.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thats a rediculous statement!! Every perso on the list is a current immortal, or will be an immortal. Therefore any one of them deserves to be considered the best ever. An opinion is just that.
No! If you think Lockyer and/or Thurston are better or as good as Joey then you don't know rugby league. Lockyer and Thurston don't deserve to be immortals

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah they are all exceptional players and I don’t question your right to a different opinion... or to be undecided between the three. They are all true greats... no doubt...

I just think Joey was on another level. What he did for Newcastle.... I mean they have never really been a true powerhouse club when Andrew Johns wasn’t in the team. I don’t think they’ve recovered from his retirement as a club even now... they still haven’t filled that void. You could say the same for NSW.

I think back to that origin comeback game where he almost single handedly blew a star studded Qld team apart.... or that first half in the Grand Final against Parra. Just the sustained impact he had on club and state... I just think he was on another level.

But they are all good enough to be worthy of a he discussion. I can understand if other people lean another way.

I don’t really like Johns. I think he’s an arrogant jerk and he shits me up the wall when he calls the dogs. But still...personally, I’d have to say I think he’s the best... at least the best that I’ve seen.
Yeh Joey was on another level "literally" self confessed prescription drug user and drug user.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeh Joey was on another level "literally" self confessed prescription drug user and drug user.
Never heard that joke before. Please, tell me more

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who gives a shit, if I was a famous footballer I would be on the bags after origin and grand final wins as well banging sluts. The majority of us would be.

Johns is number 1 all day long, if he was in he's prime against a thurston and cam smith origin team who wins? NSW. Watching him play growing up nothing has ever come close, the play makers now get a shit ton more protection and the rest of the team still has to do their job. Johns carried entire teams on he's back across the finish line.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Why isnt our best player ever on the list?

King Lamb.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Who gives a shit, if I was a famous footballer I would be on the bags after origin and grand final wins as well banging sluts. The majority of us would be.

Johns is number 1 all day long, if he was in he's prime against a thurston and cam smith origin team who wins? NSW. Watching him play growing up nothing has ever come close, the play makers now get a shit ton more protection and the rest of the team still has to do their job. Johns carried entire teams on he's back across the finish line.
No doubt he's a special talent doesn't erase the fact he used, to enhance performance. Thats not level playing field, different story if you're gona get on afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.