Greatest Player of All Time

Who is the G.O.A.T??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My father who has seen them all, rates John Raper as the best he’s ever seen. I threw up Cam Smith or JT, and he said they were wonderful players. Smith is the best dummy half he’s seen. He refuses to use the term hooker in rugby league. He loves JT, but he tells me that Raper was simply supreme in everything he did
Haha yeah hooker is a stupid name. How old is your dad?? Johny raper hey. Wish you could see footage of these former greats in colour and HD now. Lol

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didnt realise how young most of you are or how old i am. Because Bob Fulton was the most dominating player i have even seen, on the field and off.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt realise how young most of you are or how old i am. Because Bob Fulton was the most dominating player i have even seen, on the field and off.
That’s why
That’s why Fulton is an immortal. When he was at his peak around 1972-74 he was the greatest back in the world. Even when Easts got him in 1977, he was still second on the list of top try scorers that year. Fulton was a genius.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont be jealous of our age mate. Hahaha
Wish i was lucky enough to see all the greats play. But im glad im still relatively young. Lol

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Johns easily, the guy won the 2001 GF with Sean Rudder as his halves partner...yep, Sean Rudder!

He also bossed Qld when they could’ve easily dominated the NSW team just like we’ve seen over the last decade.

He revolutionised the game and was also one hell of a defender.

Thurston and Smith are great players, but for me Johns was a beast.

Not a big fan of the bloke in general but we’re not talking about his off-field ability here.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rugby league has been revolutionariesed numerous times. You couldn't say Lewis because if he played in the nrl I'm sure he would struggle.

Viewing the three contenders which include Thurston, smith and johns. All quality players, all will and are remembered as greats. IMO Smith is hyped as he is a QLD player and is also a Melbourne player etc. However comparing smith to johns is ridiculous. Johns won a grand final paired Sean rudder, changed the game as we know it and was also a superb defender. Johns was an all round great player.

Reaction score
I hate the storm but tbh can't look past smith he is the best I have seen and don't think there will b a better player go around then him 4 a while Thurston is my clear second pick them 2 r just in a league of there own

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wally Lewis is the best Origin player of all-time. Not even close.
There are plenty of times I watched Origin games & Lewis was named MOTM & no-one I spoke to could work out why at the time. He also didn't compete in the Sydney competition week in week out for enough years & well enough IMO to warrant it. He did have plenty of chances to come to Sydney earlier but didn't.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baa none terry lamb for sure grew up idolizing him and still fan out when i see him a true legend of the game and the dogs
Terry Lamb (& a LOT) of Bulldogs players are VERY underrated when it comes to accolades. He made his debut for Wests at age 18 against Balmain & scored 2 tries in his first game. He was like a duck to water in first grade AND dominated from the start. I wonder what status as a player he would have been had he gone on the 1982 Kangaroo Tour & not passed on the opportunity. I think selectors were too hard on him from then on. I thought he was better than Brett Kenny who would have a hot 5 minutes then drift out of games whereas Baa was in everything all game.

I would rather have had Terry Lamb over Brett Kenny or Wally Lewis at that time without question. He also made the players around him look better than they were.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry Lamb (& a LOT) of Bulldogs players are VERY underrated when it comes to accolades. He made his debut for Wests at age 18 against Balmain & scored 2 tries in his first game. He was like a duck to water in first grade AND dominated from the start. I wonder what status as a player he would have been had he gone on the 1982 Kangaroo Tour & not passed on the opportunity. I think selectors were too hard on him from then on. I thought he was better than Brett Kenny who would have a hot 5 minutes then drift out of games whereas Baa was in everything all game.

I would rather have had Terry Lamb over Brett Kenny or Wally Lewis at that time without question. He also made the players around him look better than they were.
One of the most underrated players, 300 + games and coupled with several premierships the man hardly gets praises he deserves.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There are plenty of times I watched Origin games & Lewis was named MOTM & no-one I spoke to could work out why at the time. He also didn't compete in the Sydney competition week in week out for enough years & well enough IMO to warrant it. He did have plenty of chances to come to Sydney earlier but didn't.
Agreed mate, very good post.

Lewis was a great Origin player but the fact he didn't come to Sydney in his prime to play week in, week out, amongst the best players leaves a big question mark over his legacy for mine.

I'm sure he would've been great, but we'll never know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.