News Gould’s Barrett Deadline

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
there should be a deadline and two months into next season is fine IMO... Barrett has not done a satisfactory job... not even close... everyone at the club has regressed under him... the attack has not improved... the defence has imploded... the attitudes of the players is terrible... discipline on and off the field is crap... the players seemingly are getting dumber (and they were not starting from any great intellectual heights)... the recruits for this season are a miss entirely... the physical conditioning is off etc... no positives whatsoever from this season

it is painful watching them... I know plenty of hardcore, decades long fans of the 'Dogs that have stopped watching them... for myself, I have a whiskey bottle handy

the only glimmer of hope is that the club has recruited well for next year

my only issue is that any such deadline should be internal... no outside, media talk about it
Yeah I didn't even bother watching yesterday. Choose to sit with a beer around a fire instead. Checked facebook around halftime with the usual post from them. They don't deserve my viewership atm.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really want baz to do well but after this year I’m not sure he’s the right man for the job. 4 wins from 8 games would be the minimum for next year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
IF this was true it'd make more sense to sack Baz now. We'd be lucky to win 2/8 games next year imo (assuming we have an average draw). We're one of the worst teams of all time and there are a lot of unknowns going into next year (yes, some good recruitment but I don't think it's enough personally). I think we need to be careful setting unrealistic expectations. I know it's F'ing BS we have to say that but that's where we're atm and need to reassess as we go. If there was a top coach available it'd be a little different (I like Flanagan but everyone throws their arms in the air when he's mentioned).

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep just like :

We are paying $450k of Thommo freight
Kyle back to Sharks
Mitch Pearce halfback next year

Has anyone ever seen Rothfield and Isaac in the same room ??? Just saying ….

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett will be safe for the year at least. With the team we have we will be in the top eight for the first half of the year. Why? Because our roster will be better than ten other teams in the comp.We will start the season full of enthusiasm and the skill and speed of individual players will be enough to save Barrett. What we
do on the back end to reach the semi's will be up to Trent but I think our talent might save him because these guys will actually be coachable.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would say like we’ve all been saying this year - the Bulldogs and with Gus on board, Barrett needs to prove he can coach. So far I can’t see any influence on our team with him finding ways to improve. Gus is there to do a job. He isn’t the sort to make up the numbers, if he finds that Barrett can’t work with the improved team list next year. They will be given no choice - he will need to go. It’s business at the end of the day, and Bulldogs can’t stay in the same zone. The story is we all know it, but some people think he can coach and some think he can’t. I think it will be up to Gus to make the final choice. I think he’s days are numbered. But like we all know on this site and in life, that’s just my opinion.
People like Hanson and Gould have said he is a great coach, but the proof is in the pudding. He has shown very little this year, and if things don't change drastically next year then there is very little chance he will remain.
This being said, I have not given up hope on him, he has had fuck all to work with. But if these results continue next year, he is a dead man walking.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barrett has not done himself any favours for sure and will be under extreme pressure

I think he’s struggled but I think there is a good coach in there

Plenty has gone wrong for him and sometimes a season like this could be the making of a coach

5-10 weeks seem right and after a season like this that’s not really uncommon.

I’m willing to see Barrett with a NRL standard roster before critiquing

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett has not done himself any favours for sure and will be under extreme pressure

I think he’s struggled but I think there is a good coach in there

Plenty has gone wrong for him and sometimes a season like this could be the making of a coach

5-10 weeks seem right and after a season like this that’s not really uncommon.

I’m willing to see Barrett with a NRL standard roster before critiquing
I hope we are all wrong and he turns out to be a great coach, but….

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dont see Barrett getting sacked by round 8 unless we lose every game. What I can see is that they will make a decision to start looking for a replacement. And then at some point later in the season it will get announced and we end up with something similar to Pays last season.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get to that. I just can't sit through another year of this shit. Plus who would you replace him with?

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there should be a deadline and two months into next season is fine IMO... Barrett has not done a satisfactory job... not even close... everyone at the club has regressed under him... the attack has not improved... the defence has imploded... the attitudes of the players is terrible... discipline on and off the field is crap... the players seemingly are getting dumber (and they were not starting from any great intellectual heights)... the recruits for this season are a miss entirely... the physical conditioning is off etc... no positives whatsoever from this season

it is painful watching them... I know plenty of hardcore, decades long fans of the 'Dogs that have stopped watching them... for myself, I have a whiskey bottle handy

the only glimmer of hope is that the club has recruited well for next year

my only issue is that any such deadline should be internal... no outside, media talk about it
More bad news is the fact that next year with new players coming in - they need to GEL and function as a new group. Not easy but for Barrett, time won’t be on his side to make them work together as a group.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barrett left a position with a contender to come and sort out a truck wreck. I’d give him next season and if we are in the battle for a spoon again then I’d help him pack his stuff. But 8 weeks is hard to perform with what is it? 11 players leaving? About 7-8 coming in?

This isn’t an established team. They have had 4-5 coaches in the past 3-4 seasons (including caretakers). They pretty much have 2 wooden spoons in a row (only avoiding last year on for and against) and only now are able to recruit with an aim of a top 8 spot (but still have handicapped contracts like Elliot, cotric, Jackson, Waddell). I think anything above 10th is an improvement. Anything below 10th is a sacking. We aren’t on the storms, roosters, eels, Souths, manly, penrith level. To be honest raiders are a better squad too. We are in the mix with Newcastle, sharks. Should be better then cowboys, titans, warriors, but we lack a elite spine to compete with the heavyweights.

Top 8 will be awesome, top 10 is more or less what’s expected, bottom 3 isn’t good enough.

In reality we lack another decent bench prop, we lack quality back rowers (not sure if TPJ is slotted out wide or in the middle). If RFM can stay on the field and be consistent (no shirt grabbing, no dumb offloads, no turn overs) then we do have some quality in the back row, but if Waddell is a mainstay we are fucked). We lack a halfback and a hooker. We will never be a realistic contender for the title without solidifying those positions. But with our cap stretched more then a street workers box at the end of a 10hr fully booked day, we do need to reset our roster again (unfortunately) before we wont be able to compete with a fully fit roosters, storm, manly, panthers.

In all honesty too much money is held up in players that aren’t vital for our success (cotric, Jackson, thompson, Waddell, Elliot, Flanagan, even addo Carr).

Probably best bang for the buck we have are Vaughan, Ava, burton, (possibly dufty if he is on a small contract). Every other player is on a sizeable contract, but their return is not of value for the club.

8 games won’t prove much. But I will fully support the club sacking Barrett if by the end of 22 we are not in the mix for an 8th spot with 2-3 games left. Anything above that is an overachievement. If we are still where we are then it is a gross underachievement and I am sure that will not be accepted by the board and the club.