Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

• Yes

• No

• Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. So it's pointless asking a priest to fess up when he's bound by religious law to stay quiet.
The priest acts as a go between God and Man.
It's technically a religious policy, not a law due to the separation of church and state. Otherwise known as Canonical Law. Technically Priests aren't protected and can go the gaol for not reporting things. But there is a protection in the judicial system. Most jurisdictions including Australia and the US provide protection through the way the law works. While the law could force a priest to tell what they heard, that evidence would be considered void because the information was provided to the priest with an expectation of secrecy.

It's the same way recordings work. If you record a phone conversation and don't tell the other person that you're recording it then anything they say cannot be used in court because they expected privacy.

I think it's different for priests, they are meant to be impartial, a medium of sorts, non judgemental.. I don't think you'd last too long as a priest
Yep. Priests have a very strict thing. If they speak about anything said in the seal of confession then they get automatic excommunication. That said, there are no protections under law for future crimes. If someone confesses to the priest that they carried out a crime and will do it again, the church forbids the priest from telling anyone but the law can send the priest to gaol for not reporting it as there is no law that protects the priest.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i kinda want to see the outcry if it doesn't pass, kinda like how I wanted to see trump win
It won't pass in a Catholic Church because it's already been discussed, votes went out and a decision was made.. It's all in the Bible

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It won't pass in a Catholic Church because it's already been discussed, votes went out and a decision was made.. It's all in the Bible
Yep. It's a massive conflict 'cause the Catholic Church completely forbid it. The Catholic Church also requires that they follow the law of the land and they will be breaking the law. So fun times ahead.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's technically a religious policy, not a law due to the separation of church and state. Otherwise known as Canonical Law. Technically Priests aren't protected and can go the gaol for not reporting things. But there is a protection in the judicial system. Most jurisdictions including Australia and the US provide protection through the way the law works. While the law could force a priest to tell what they heard, that evidence would be considered void because the information was provided to the priest with an expectation of secrecy.

It's the same way recordings work. If you record a phone conversation and don't tell the other person that you're recording it then anything they say cannot be used in court because they expected privacy.

Yep. Priests have a very strict thing. If they speak about anything said in the seal of confession then they get automatic excommunication. That said, there are no protections under law for future crimes. If someone confesses to the priest that they carried out a crime and will do it again, the church forbids the priest from telling anyone but the law can send the priest to gaol for not reporting it as there is no law that protects the priest.
That makes the priest very vulnerable.. I mean being a priest is not a job it's a faith, a real belief that God's words are gospel. If the faith has condemed the actions of divulging people's secrets then it's intrinsic to the faith meaning that being approachable and non threatening is how Jesus was to his followers.. Being a snitch is for everyone else

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That makes the priest very vulnerable.. I mean being a priest is not a job it's a faith, a real belief that God's words are gospel. If the faith has condemed the actions of divulging people's secrets then it's intrinsic to the faith meaning that being approachable and non threatening is how Jesus was to his followers.. Being a snitch is for everyone else
Im sure it says someone in the bible that .thou shall not fuck kids because its fucking wrong.no scumbag who confessess that shit should be able to hide that shit under any form of anything.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im sure it says someone in the bible that .thou shall not fuck kids because its fucking wrong.no scumbag who confessess that shit should be able to hide that shit under any form of anything.
You know what ? I don't think it says that in the bible but we all know it's abbhorent maybe that's why some priests do it..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. That was the 13th Commandment. Right after, Thou shalt not touch me friggin' beer.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You might be able to help me, I have an uncle who's pretty vocal on FB about political stuff , he was posting about how bad Trump would be as the president based on his personal characteristics such as narcisism , racism, sexist displays.. I had had enough and piped up saying " you should at least give him a chance at being president before judging him" anyhow that went down like a lead balloon.. Telling me I obviously wasn't considering my daughter in this .. Anyhow long story short..
Hes now on another rant about same sex marriage and the arch Bishop's decision not to divulge paedophilia to the police should someone make a confession..
Stating how screwed up the Catholic Church is by protecting paedophiles while disallowing a loving union between two consenting adults..
I want to say something but I know Itll get narky.
What do you think about the Catholic Church in this instance..
Should they report paedophiles that confess?
I had this debate with my family last night did not go down well. I'll tell you why. The sacrament of confession is purely between the person, God and the instrument of God the priest. The priest is used due to to Jesus giving his apostles the authority to forgive or not forgive sins in his name. Now the reason why it's a very touchy debatable subject is this. Once you allow the government into the church to dictate something, then people will want the government more and more involved changing rites, sacraments etc. How exactly is the priest going to don the person in if he doesn't get a name? And some minor details? Coz confession is compeltely anomonous. So what will start to happen is priests might be forced by the government to start spying on us during confession taking our names down, minor details and our fucken sins. I do not want anyone besides the priest and God knowing my sins they're meant to be absolved not be written down and used against you. Who will go to confession anymore when they know their names may be taken along with their sins to monitor behaviours? Confession is where you go to get your sins forgiven or maybe not forgiven based on the priests view. If you allow the spying to start it won't stop there.

Also you should ask your uncle why you should be concerned for your daughter, what females rights has trump taken away?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But the priest is knowingly breaking the law.
It's religious law NOT THE LAW OF THE LAND.

Which makes me return to my previous statement, Islamic Sharia is bad but catholic "sharia" is ok?

Lawyers are protected by the LAW OF THE LAND for confidentiality between parties.

The terrorist hotline encourages exactly that, to turn in your loved ones if they are suspected of crimes. There have even been charges laid for people not reporting terrorist planning.
Essentially you're not for freedom of religion for specific religions as in Christian religions, you want the government to dictate to the church what they should be doing? Fuck outta here you distorted ****

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@ThePCRealist90 if you're happy for the government to start forcing priests to spy and monitor people's sins, then you should be happy and advocate the government start spying compeltely on all Australians in their private times to make sure they're doing the right thing.
I'm not talking about what they're already doing, surveillancing certain websites, phone numbers, etc I mean full blown in peoples private times anyone can be spied on to make sure they're doing the right thing. Coz I doubt only catholic priests are pedos, so why stop at the Catholic Church? Let's get the government to spy in everyone's house hold to stop domestic violence, incest rape, pedophiles, murders.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not for it.

For a multitude of reasons, more so than the can of worms it opens up. Same as with the whole "gender dysphoria" situation..

Allow people to change gender? What's stopping people changing their age and cashing in on their Super.
Allow people of the same-sex to marry? What is to stop polygamy, or people marrying their twin sister?

Furthermore - the psychological issues that can be caused by children raised in such a setting (yes, they will probably still have some level of de facto relationship) demonstrate their their well-being is more at stake than that of a "traditional marriage".

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@ThePCRealist90 if you're happy for the government to start forcing priests to spy and monitor people's sins, then you should be happy and advocate the government start spying compeltely on all Australians in their private times to make sure they're doing the right thing.
I'm not talking about what they're already doing, surveillancing certain websites, phone numbers, etc I mean full blown in peoples private times anyone can be spied on to make sure they're doing the right thing. Coz I doubt only catholic priests are pedos, so why stop at the Catholic Church? Let's get the government to spy in everyone's house hold to stop domestic violence, incest rape, pedophiles, murders.
facepalm.jpg

You really really make my head hurt with your illogical thought patterns.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think first Australia has to decide whether it is a Chrsitian country or not. If it is a Christian country then they shouldn't be changing laws away from the bible. If it isn't a Christian country then we need to change everything away from Christianity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not for it.

For a multitude of reasons, more so than the can of worms it opens up. Same as with the whole "gender dysphoria" situation..

Allow people to change gender? What's stopping people changing their age and cashing in on their Super.
Normally I'd quote the slippery slope fallacy here but it's kind of true. The more acceptance of gender dysphoria lead to a lot more weirdos coming out, like furries. Still, the problem with gender dysphoria is that it has to be accepted. Crazy dragonkin people is another thing altogether.

Allow people of the same-sex to marry? What is to stop polygamy, or people marrying their twin sister?
I'm not sure there is a problem with polygamy but incestuous marriages aren't allowed for good reason. They lead to dangerous genetic mutations.

Furthermore - the psychological issues that can be caused by children raised in such a setting (yes, they will probably still have some level of de facto relationship) demonstrate their their well-being is more at stake than that of a "traditional marriage".
Scientific research on the subject suggests that there is no difference for a child raised by same sex couples or opposite sex couples. In fact the only research that found a large variation was run by organisations with names like "We hate gays" and "Traditional Family Foundation"

All independent research found that children are provided with an equal environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.