Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

• Yes

• No

• Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. This.

I also would add that freedom of religion is a separate issue from the SSM debate. There is already religious freedom in place, and strengthening or weakening these laws should not be bundled it with the marriage act change.
Senator Patterson's bill (that didn't even make it in front of the house 'cause it was so stupid) did a lot of this. Trying to mix unrelated aspects. It even mentioned banning safe schools in a same-sex marriage bill. That's like trying to pass a same-sex marriage bill that says, "Two persons are permitted to be marriage and cars should be restricted to 80 kph"

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wait, what?

Anti-LGBT politician resigns after being 'caught having sex with man in his office'
Wes Goodman resigns for 'inappropriate conduct'

• Maya Oppenheim
  • @mayaoppenheim

• An Ohio lawmaker who routinely touted his Christian faith and anti-LGBT views has resigned after being caught having sex with a man in his office.

Wes Goodman, who is the Republican state legislator for Ohio, is married to a woman who is assistant director of an annual anti-abortion rally known as March for Life.

The right-wing legislator, who pushed “family values”, was reportedly witnessed having sex with a man inside his office who was not employed by the legislator.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the observer told Ohio House Chief of Staff Mike Dittoe what had happened on Tuesday afternoon. Mr Dittoe responded by telling House Speaker Republican Cliff Rosenberger who in turn met with Mr Goodman.

The 33-year-old, who has been branded the “conscience of the conservative movement”, resigned for “inappropriate conduct” shortly after the meeting took place.

Mr Goodman, whose Twitter biography describes him as “Christian. American. Conservative. Republican. Husband to @Beth1027”, has regularly claimed "natural marriage" occurs between a man and a woman.

"Healthy, vibrant, thriving, values-driven families are the source of Ohio's proud history and the key to Ohio's future greatness,” reads his campaign website which has now been taken offline.

The lawmaker acknowledged he was stepping down in a statement. “We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life," he said.

"That has been true for me, and I sincerely regret that my actions and choices have kept me from serving my constituents and our state in a way that reflects the best ideals of public service," he continued. "For those whom I have let down, I’m sorry. As I move onto the next chapter of my life, I sincerely ask for privacy for myself, my family, and my friends.”

“I was alerted to details yesterday afternoon regarding his involvement in inappropriate behaviour related to his state office,” Mr Rosenberger said in a statement. “I met with him later in the day where he acknowledged and confirmed the allegations. It became clear that his resignation was the most appropriate course of action for him, his family, the constituents of the 87th House District and this institution.
USA not here ;)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This issue at hand is gay people who are trolling Christians, not the other things you listed. There was a troll who baited a Catholic beauty therapist in Perth who wanted her to treat him and his future husband before their wedding. All the gay things were listed in the request (it was on Facebook). This guy knew she was a Catholic and she said that she's had gay clients in the past and has no problem with them, nor should she because they just go there for their own business, but this guy who was baiting her obviously looking to stir her up a little can be refused service and it will have no ramifications on her.
As i understood it she had gay customers before and made a statement that she would refuse service in preparation for a wedding.

If so then I have think she should be taken to court for blatant discrimination.

The trolling thing hacky has summed up. Different legislation.

Agreed - I do not have anything against them, and if they would stop offending Christians with their paintings and stop attacking us because of our beliefs, then there wouldn't be a problem. All the violence and tension that's happening right now isn't because of the survey, it's because of the yes people provoking those who disagree with them.
Completely disagree with you in regards to the paintings. That has NOTHING to do with your religion.

1. It's a personal attack on Abbott and Pell
2. George Michael is a saint to the lgbt community because what they go through privately, George Michael went through publicly. And his public life was a representation of the struggles they go through.

As far as all the violence and tension is concerned you seem to be oblivious to all the tension and hate that Christian extremists caused DURING the plebiscite. I've seen the messages on that Facebook group, They are not sudden or reactive beliefs about the lgbt community, they're old beliefs that have existed in that community for a long time.

This plebiscite has only achieved giving bigots a public platform to openly state their bigotry without repercussions, But the thing is people will hold you to account for the shot that comes out of your mouth (not you personally but that community in general)

Wahesh

Reaction score
Completely disagree with you in regards to the paintings. That has NOTHING to do with your religion.

1. It's a personal attack on Abbott and Pell
2. George Michael is a saint to the lgbt community because what they go through privately, George Michael went through publicly. And his public life was a representation of the struggles they go through.

As far as all the violence and tension is concerned you seem to be oblivious to all the tension and hate that Christian extremists caused DURING the plebiscite. I've seen the messages on that Facebook group, They are not sudden or reactive beliefs about the lgbt community, they're old beliefs that have existed in that community for a long time.

This plebiscite has only achieved giving bigots a public platform to openly state their bigotry without repercussions, But the thing is people will hold you to account for the shot that comes out of your mouth (not you personally but that community in general)
1. It is an attack on our religion, because Pell is Australia's highest ranking Catholic, and Abbott is a strong practicing Catholic - 2 attacks on 2 Catholic people on a public wall is an attack on religion. Why did they pick those 2 Catholics if it wasn't an attack on our religion?

2. George Michael is an entertainment icon, not a Saint. There is a big difference. The paining also relates to Christianity as:

1) same type of robed clothing used in Christian imagery
2) same colour clothing
3) use of a halo
4) hands in the same position as that of the Sacred Heart
5) the term "St George" who is a deeply revered Saint in the Christian faith

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. It is an attack on our religion, because Pell is Australia's highest ranking Catholic, and Abbott is a strong practicing Catholic - 2 attacks on 2 Catholic people on a public wall is an attack on religion. Why did they pick those 2 Catholics if it wasn't an attack on our religion?
Nope. Tony Abbott and George Pell have made a lot of bigoted comments about the lgbt community over decades. Again nothing to do with your religion. They are hate mongers and it was them who were targetted because of the shit that came out of their mouths.

2. George Michael is an entertainment icon, not a Saint. There is a big difference. The paining also relates to Christianity as:

1) same type of robed clothing used in Christian imagery
2) same colour clothing
3) use of a halo
4) hands in the same position as that of the Sacred Heart
5) the term "St George" who is a deeply revered Saint in the Christian faith
I see you have copy and pasted straight out of that Christian lives matter Facebook page. The same page filled with comments that

• Want to bash homosexuals
  • Say that homosexuals are disgusting and hopefully will die from aids
  • That they shouldn't be called gays but pooftas
George Michael is a representation of the persecution that the lgbt community go through, get it through your head. He's their "saint". Has nothing to do with Christianity.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Waiting for a 5:30am flight this morning, I had two thoughts on this topic:

1. If you take those who were screaming for the destruction of Section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act a year ago, I bet London to a brick that they have a high correlation with those who are now seeking additional "religious freedom" (aka right to discriminate). Irony will be lost on them.

2. Jacqui Lambie. Too bad. So sad.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Waiting for a 5:30am flight this morning, I had two thoughts on this topic:

1. If you take those who were screaming for the destruction of Section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act a year ago, I bet London to a brick that they have a high correlation with those who are now seeking additional "religious freedom" (aka right to discriminate). Irony will be lost on them.

2. Jacqui Lambie. Too bad. So sad.
Generally. The anti-18c stance is a Libertarian stance. The Libertarians also support freedom to discriminate but they support freedom for everyone to discriminate, not just the religious.

Senator Leyonhjelm raised a bill to that effect that allows any business owner to discriminate for any reason.

Wahesh

Reaction score
He has a point. The painting was offensive to the general public, and considering it was in a public area, young children should NOT be exposed to such things. They were right to paint over it, and they did not paint over the No Parking sign. All they painted over was the suggestively naked part.

I prefer this video though from news.com.au (can't post the video directly, it's at this link):

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...e/news-story/a6c66bf8342d421a1774ecfea9f38f5d

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He has a point. The painting was offensive to the general public, and considering it was in a public area, young children should NOT be exposed to such things. They were right to paint over it, and they did not paint over the No Parking sign. All they painted over was the suggestively naked part.

I prefer this video though from news.com.au (can't post the video directly, it's at this link):

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...e/news-story/a6c66bf8342d421a1774ecfea9f38f5d
I can understand with the Abbott and Pell one. It was pretty offensive even though it was funny. The George Michael shouldn't have been touched though. That painting has been there for a long time and was sponsored by the council. Painting over it is actually considered graffiti.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can understand with the Abbott and Pell one. It was pretty offensive even though it was funny. The George Michael shouldn't have been touched though. That painting has been there for a long time and was sponsored by the council. Painting over it is actually considered graffiti.
The Abott and Pell one was in a back alley street and I'd hardly think those that were offended have ever actually gone to Newtown. Newtown is filled with too many "undesirables" for their liking.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Abott and Pell one was in a back alley street and I'd hardly think those that were offended have ever actually gone to Newtown. Newtown is filled with too many "undesirables" for their liking.
I go to Newtown all the time - it's the Thai Restaurant capital of Sydney. Depending on where I can find parking I also walk through the back streets to get to the King street.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I go to Newtown all the time - it's the Thai Restaurant capital of Sydney. Depending on where I can find parking I also walk through the back streets to get to the King street.
Sydney is the Thai Restaurant capital of the world. There's more Thai restaurants in Sydney than in Thaland. When we lived in Gladesville there was 11 Thai restaurants and there was only about 16 Restaurants in the whole suburb.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And yet you only know of it from the attention it received

A

Alexander the Great

Still in public...

A

Alexander the Great

I do also.. really good food spots and a wicked dumpling place

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remembered when Newtown was hippy feral punk scum , you could rack up a line of filtly speed on a grubby bar table at the Oxford and no **** would blink. Then go to the towny off chops and get a root.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro you always seem to always find excuses and justifications when it's about LGBT or leftist agendas, this is what makes you so outright bias lol.
And for the record it is an attack on Christians had it not been an attack on Christians why was it only a high ranking arch bishop and a strong catholic in abott painted and not other anti gay marriage figures? You don't like to say it's an attack on Christians because then it will be Christians being the victims but you can't hack that coz the lefts whole thing is using victims to get their way and their beliefs into parliament, so this voids Christian s of being victims whether they're victims or not and trying to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.