Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
WTF keating get 1st shot?

He can't even win the position over bloody robson!

FMD if roberts isn't the doggies scapegoat again the guy can apparently never do anything right!

what has roberts done that makes him a no good starting option anymore at 5/8 can someone please explain?

The kennell has come to the point where a player is either great or rubbish and should be dropped that is a joke some of our supporters need to take a good look at themselves and why they support the dogs because the way people carry on about roberts is beyond a joke.

if keating can't crack it at parra where they have rubbish halves he shouldn't be a shoe in here roberts DESERVES first shot at 5/8

keating should be used to cover bench utility he should not get the gig above roberts or barba if he does I will personally belt the **** out of Moore

roberts IMO is and will still be the best 5/8 option this year and next and should be a starter
I guess we will see how Roberts comes back from this major injury. Players should be selected on form and Roberts has none. I hope he comes back 100%, we can use his ability to break the line and set our wingers/centres alight. The perfect side for us will have Barba and Roberts in it. I will cast my opinion of Keating when i see him play for us, until then he has to EARN his spot in the side.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ben Barba 21 tackles, 5 missed tackles
Todd Carney 24 tackles, 4 missed tackles
Braith Anasta 23 tackles, 4 missed tackles
Daniel Mortimer 18 tackles, 6 missed tackles

also fullbacks:

Nathan Gardner 3 tackles, 2 missed tackles
Wade McKinnon 5 tackles, 2 missed tackles
Josh Hoffman 3 tackles, 2 missed tackles

You guys need to lighten up, you have over reacted. He will miss a few tackles yes, but nothing out of the ordinary. He is doing quite well compared to last year and even compared to some other players of his experience.
I don't know who you are referring to Hani but I'll assume you're referring to my doubts about his defence as a fullback. :grinning:

As I said before, I'm fine with his defence at the moment in the line and while he'll miss a few at least he's trying and doing the best he can. Again, he'll get help from those around him when he needs it and he's not overly exposed.

However at fullback you are exposed. You can get found out and you have to be strong in defence. You constantly have to put your head where no one else will, you constantly have to be brave in defence and strong holding up giant forwards or strong backs to save tries. By yourself! Without help from those around you.

I'm not bagging Barba's defence as a 5/8th. He's doing well enough. I just have HUGE doubts as to whether he would be a solid enough last line of defence. I can't see that working.

IMO he should have been given a run at 5/8th ages ago, it's about time he has and he's a 5/8th IMO. I don't know why we signed Keating (who I rate) when we didn't even give our own kid a chance who we just re-signed in his preferred and most natural position. Now we might have to force Barba to fullback just out of necessity because we have to try and fit everyone in.

dullbogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he's gonna play fullback he needs to learn (or have the confidence) to tackle around the legs.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barba will learn how to tackle, im just worried about him under the high ball as that aspect has not been tested

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
I don't know who you are referring to Hani but I'll assume you're referring to my doubts about his defence as a fullback. :grinning:

As I said before, I'm fine with his defence at the moment in the line and while he'll miss a few at least he's trying and doing the best he can. Again, he'll get help from those around him when he needs it and he's not overly exposed.

However at fullback you are exposed. You can get found out and you have to be strong in defence. You constantly have to put your head where no one else will, you constantly have to be brave in defence and strong holding up giant forwards or strong backs to save tries. By yourself! Without help from those around you.

I'm not bagging Barba's defence as a 5/8th. He's doing well enough. I just have HUGE doubts as to whether he would be a solid enough last line of defence. I can't see that working.

IMO he should have been given a run at 5/8th ages ago, it's about time he has and he's a 5/8th IMO. I don't know why we signed Keating (who I rate) when we didn't even give our own kid a chance who we just re-signed in his preferred and most natural position. Now we might have to force Barba to fullback just out of necessity because we have to try and fit everyone in.
nah not a go at anyone in particular, just in general.

He will miss tackles, and he probably will cost us a game or 2, but its a learning curve and he sooner or later has to play there if thats what Moore's intentions are. We just need to be patient. I remember a young Darren Lockyer ****ing up here and there also.

Howsie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barba will learn how to tackle, im just worried about him under the high ball as that aspect has not been tested
Yep, almost something that's just taken as a given. I'm really not worried too much about his defense, like you I reckon that will come right in time, but positional play whilst defusing kicks/bombs is even more important and not something a lot of fullbacks in the NRL grasp, especially players who haven't gone through the grades playing fullback.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2011 fullback

It's no secret that Ben Barba want to play at FB next, but do you think that is the right position for him? My pick for FB would either be Steve Turner, or my dream FB would be Josh Morris.

Although this is highly unlikely, this could make room for Ben Roberts in the centers, as well as giving us a more potent kick return, a higher jumper, and a better last line of defense.

What do you guys think?

P.s. Bear in mind that when I suggested Idris in the 2nd row, a few of the resident Niff Nuffs rubbished the idea.

elfman

Waterboy
Reaction score
go jump of the harbour bridge. come back with somethng more interesting....we have spoken about this issue 1000 times

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
go jump of the harbour bridge. come back with somethng more interesting....we have spoken about this issue 1000 times
I jumped and survived. I'm back now
BTW your so cool elfman. Very tough too.

Christian

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would rather see someone with a bit more durability,defensive qualities at the back than Barba.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm split between Barba & Morris. I think Barba would be great but like everyone says its just the defensive side thqat might let him down. I would love to see Morris with the ball alot more in his hands and with some open space which he hasn't seen much of this season, and this might be great for him.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
You would have to go with a player who has played in that position before, therfore Morris would be my pick!
I love Barba at 5/8 and don't want to change that!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow, ppl actually voted for Morris. Hes no fullback.

And you didnt include Patten in the poll which makes it invalid. He hasnt announced hes retiring yet.

Apart from patten there is only one option, Barba. So since only one of your options is realistic, the poll is fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.