Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
And sign who genius ?????

$900k is pure trolling
Nah you're the genius who wants to pay 850-900k to a shit player & expect us to get better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Freddy and Joey say something outrageous or Freddy makes bizarre decisions and selections in Origin and the whole Kennel says they're on drugs again and have no clue, constantly talk shit etc..

Freddy and Joey say something that most of the Kennel agree with and all of a sudden their opinion is gospel and their immortal skills mean they know better than anyone about everything..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just one aspect of Burtons game - kicking.
Burtons general kicking accuracy hasnt improved at all.
Its not rocket science as Joey would have us believe.
Cleary, Adam Reynolds said the same thing which everyone already knows, honed their skill through repetition, rote learning, putting in the extra time. Obviously some will have a higher ceiling than others. I think Burton has it in him, just not seeing it at all.

Coaching and lack of a 7 hasnt helped Burtons game but you'd expect to see something form a guy whos being payed on potential.
Potential means nothing if there is no improvement along the way.

As for Freddy and Joey, whatever.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton just doesn't look very creative with the ball in hand. When the defense is on the back foot and they're a man short on the right edge, he just runs straight at an angle without really trying to probe with the ball or dig into the line to create space, instead the defense just slides and easily contains him.

His left step is pretty predictable as well and would be more useful at center.

I would compare him to when Mark Gasnier played 5/8th. The thing that has fooled people into thinking he's a 5/8th is his big boot.
Nah, it's actually his grubber - which are pretty good I might add.

But to be a good 5/8th you have to have:
* a good passing game
* a good running game
* a good kicking game
* decent defence

At the moment and for the last couple of years, Burton has only had a kicking game of note and has been lacking badly in terms of running, defence and most of all, a passing game.

He needs to at least be good at 2 of these to keep the spot. Should easily be good at 3 and would be elite if he could do all 4, but unfortunately, he has no ball playing ability - none.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other funny thing is, how many times have we seen great players “mature” into a role? Burto has had, what? 3 years at it? If he hasn’t got it now, it’s likely he won’t ever.

Nico, never played 7, now is a good solid 7.
Trindall, a rookie. Now is a solid half.
Cleary? Never in doubt. Moses? Took some time but never 3 years. Munster? Fb / halves but just awesome. You see what I’m getting at? They either come in the scene hot, fizzle out a little and then come back or just own the position. Burto has never come in hot, and for sure hasn’t owned the position.

I’ve changed my view on burto. His attitude and his general play has gotten me completely disgusted. Just seems disinterested and unable to seize the moment.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems to be everyone but Burtons fault that he hasn't progressed as a 5/8th.

He wasn't getting good service from a dummy half, he needed a halfback, he needs forwards, he needs a good coach. Could it be that he's just not good enough?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It seems to be everyone but Burtons fault that he hasn't progressed as a 5/8th.

He wasn't getting good service from a dummy half, he needed a halfback, he needs forwards, he needs a good coach. Could it be that he's just not good enough?
I swear some people never read posts properly and instead jump on the one mention of any reasons why he's struggling as an "excuse" and ignore the 20 comments made before that where that person says his form has been shit, he deserves blame etc..

Most people in this thread have been critical of him. Instead you make it seem like everyone is saying it's anyone's fault but his.

Explain how everyone can be hammering Ciraldo for being a useless coach and Baz before him, but when you bring it up in relation to a player, Ciraldo not coaching well has nothing to do with anything? Both things can be true... There's plenty of blame to go around...

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cleary, Adam Reynolds said the same thing which everyone already knows, honed their skill through repetition, rote learning, putting in the extra time. Obviously some will have a higher ceiling than others. I think Burton has it in him, just not seeing it at all.

Coaching and lack of a 7 hasnt helped Burtons game but you'd expect to see something form a guy whos being payed on potential.

Someone with a brain cell here

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Be curious to know whether he genuinely wanted to move to the halves or was convinced it was a good move. The 2nd option doesn't lend itself to a 'when the going gets tough' mentality.

Said yonks ago thought he'd be an ok FB. Can bring him into the line as a kick option for the long kicking game or grubber. Attacking bombs he can charge through. Good enough runner to take advantage of space. And good enough passer to pass when chiming in. Bit late now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Be curious to know whether he genuinely wanted to move to the halves or was convinced it was a good move. The 2nd option doesn't lend itself to a 'when the going gets tough' mentality.

Said yonks ago thought he'd be an ok FB. Can bring him into the line as a kick option for the long kicking game or grubber. Attacking bombs he can charge through. Good enough runner to take advantage of space. And good enough passer to pass when chiming in. Bit late now.
I would like to know too.

And IMO, he would make a "better" FB than a Lock as some mention. His defence, or the lack thereof, is disgusting (66 MTs so far) and would be a worse option than him being a 5/8th.

Last edited:

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey always blabs on about how halves need years to learn their craft and they don’t mature until late 20s. But sure lay into Burton who’s only played there 2 years and is 22

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's been thrown in the deep end in a team where there's been pretty much no other playmaking option since he's been here. That's always going to mean the defence will be able to focus on him at the end of sets. I didn't see the first game alongside Sexton, but supposedly with a semi decent dedicated halfback to take some pressure off, he was good. So if we somehow wind up with a 5/8 that demands to take the 6 jersey, I'd be ok with moving him to the centres. But right now he's rightfully the first half chosen.

I've said this about a few players that arrived at the club with a huge amount of expectation, but the more people expect, the less satisfied they'll be with whatever a player produces.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
mmmm, Burto, it's a tricky one.

I am holding onto the hope that Burto develops into the player we need but I agree with most of what is being said on here, at the moment he is lacking in quite a few departments

For me, first thing he needs to improve is his defense. He drops off way too many tackles (he's definitely not the only one though).

Defending at 5/8 he needs to hit and stick and be much more effective in defence. He definitely has the size but I question his attitude in defence.

He definitely needs to get a bit more physical in defence and embrace the contact more. His number of missed/ineffective tackles is totally unacceptable

Secondly his kicking can dramatically improve. He has a huge boot but he definitely needs to work on his kicking. Watch when Mitch Moses kicks from inside his own half and 9/10 he lands his kick between the opposition goal line and 10 metre line. Burto needs to get to that standard of accuracy to get us out of trouble and into a better field position of where the opposition start their sets

In the opposition half , use the spiral bomb. Kick the crap out of it but give our players a chance to compete, not just give the opposition fullback a free catch

I'm hoping that with a stronger forward pack and far less injuries, we will see some combinations form which will help him improve his ball playing. I've seen glimpses, but with the lack of continuity in combinations, and lack of an attacking fullback chiming in, he hasn't shown much

His strength is definitely his running game and again with better go forward and settled combinations that should become more effective.

Improving his defence and kicking is a start and hopefully everything else comes off the back of that

I've still got faith in him but it is on shaky ground

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton needs to have the maturity to say hey I’m not delivering at 5/8 th.I’ll do what’s best for the team if that means moving to centre. He doesn’t organise and you barely see him talking.I think Joey is right unless he has a gun half back he can’t lead the team around.
I think we all know he can't lead the team around the park, just like many other 6s going around. Hopefully that's not Johns' main reason for saying he's only a centre. It's why we've tried so damn hard to get an organising 7 over the past few years. Doesn't mean Burton can't be a damaging ball running 6 who likes to take the line on. We simply need to sign a 7 or have Sexton step up.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I always thought the reason he came here was obviously money but also he wanted to play in the halves. I dont know for sure.
We've been mediocre for a while, must have promised him something worthwhile to get him here.

Someone else on here has mentioned FB a couple of times aswell.
I dont know if he has the drive and whether he'd be vocal enough organizing our defense.
I never see him communicating in the halves but I dont get to games so I could be wrong.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah, it's actually his grubber - which are pretty good I might add.

But to be a good 5/8th you have to have:
* a good passing game
* a good running game
* a good kicking game
* decent defence

At the moment and for the last couple of years, Burton has only had a kicking game of note and has been lacking badly in terms of running, defence and most of all, a passing game.

He needs to at least be good at 2 of these to keep the spot. Should easily be good at 3 and would be elite if he could do all 4, but unfortunately, he has no ball playing ability - none.
How many current 5/8’s in the game have all those attributes ?