Freddy & Joey on Matt Burton

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Damn so whats that’s like Ivan Cleary who’s the best coach in the NRL plus two immortal halves saying Burton is a centre. Fuck their advice I guess and let’s continue this shithouse project on Burton being a 6 LOL
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for Riff and he killed it.

Your point isn't actually a point. Burton played 6 all his junior career. Ain't a project douche

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for Riff and he killed it.

Your point isn't actually a point. Burton played 6 all his junior career. Ain't a project douche
Tyrone May was literally preferred over him at times when Cleary/Luai would have at least one play. He also had shocking games. I remember Penrith got flogged by the Tigers (LOL) and Burton was a huge reason for that games result. Who cares if he played 6 is whole junior career it hasn’t worked out well for him in that position since then

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Damn so whats that’s like Ivan Cleary who’s the best coach in the NRL plus two immortal halves saying Burton is a centre. Fuck their advice I guess and let’s continue this shithouse project on Burton being a 6 LOL
Burton needs to have the maturity to say hey I’m not delivering at 5/8 th.I’ll do what’s best for the team if that means moving to centre. He doesn’t organise and you barely see him talking.I think Joey is right unless he has a gun half back he can’t lead the team around.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would keep him at 5/8 despite him being dull of late we overly scrutinise certain players and in doing so havent lined a consistent spine in years mis matching all the time. Bar that we shift him to centre and who do we have in the halves to replace him? His a good player just doesn’t have it all together mentally right now his shown talent and skill his 23 let him mature.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Lol no he didn't. I remember that game, he struggled to seal the game with how many attempts at Field goal.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot will depend on how the fullback and lock roles play out - Sexton is not a great runner off the cuff player - Taffe from my memory was always a half in jun rep footy at Souths - if, and it is massive if, the forwards can just get through games not being trampled over from the 4th set of the game - the backs might start to look reasonable

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for he killed it.

Burton was crap at 5/8 when both Luai and Cleary were out.. and dont take my word for it. Go watch all the replays when he was in the halves there

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Burton needs to have the maturity to say hey I’m not delivering at 5/8 th.I’ll do what’s best for the team if that means moving to centre. He doesn’t organise and you barely see him talking.I think Joey is right unless he has a gun half back he can’t lead the team around.
He won’t though. Shows just overall lack of care as a captain

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol no he didn't. I remember that game, he struggled to seal the game with how many attempts at Field goal.
He started 10 games in the halves for Penrith and had 7 tries and 5 try assists in those games.

I'll be the first time admit he's struggled massively this year and maybe down the road his future isn't in the halves after all.

But he played well in the halves for Penrith. Problem is players like O'Sullivan and Cogger have shown that might be more a result of Penrith's system.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Said he's a centre basically as he doesn't talk, count numbers or tell teammates what to do.
Freddy briefly mentioned fullback, to which Joey shutdown as we have Crichton and Taaffe.
... and of course Perham.

I reckon give him another 5 or 6 years at fullback behind our (future) pack and he will shine.

Ciraldo must think so too.

#hayzeperham4dogzfullback4eva

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He started 10 games in the halves for Penrith and had 7 tries and 5 try assists in those games.

I'll be the first time admit he's struggled massively this year and maybe down the road his future isn't in the halves after all.

But he played well in the halves for Penrith. Problem is players like O'Sullivan and Cogger have shown that might be more a result of Penrith's system.
They all bag him but no one can offer a better solution in the halves that’s currently at our club.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The arguments over whether Burton is a better centre or 5/8 are irrelevant …

The question should be where should he be played at the moment that best suits his & the teams strengths & weaknesses.

We all know a left edge of JAC, Kikau & Burton would be lethal .. and right now we need as much lethal as we can get ..

Next few games I’d be trying left side

KO 6 just run the ball and get the ball to
Burton left centre
JAC left wing
Kikau

Right side

Sexton 7 all the kicking duties
Kiraz right centre
Wilson right wing
Skelton - he’s elusive & can make metres let’s see how he handles Prestos position while he’s out !

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton was crap at 5/8 when both Luai and Cleary were out.. and dont take my word for it. Go watch all the replays when he was in the halves there
Penrith were terrible when he was the half, it’s fact

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s got so much ability as a running 5/8.. his short kicking game and passing game needs to be more consistent which will come with age and experience.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He really was. Burton would be non existent for practically 90% of the game but have a couple of good moments that lead to points. A big run run, a big bomb, whatever. It's the same story here however without the protection of the Panther system his lack of basics are exposed even more.

Karl and O'Neill should be groomed as our future 5/8's, both of them have far better fundamental skills as a half than Burton ever did at their age. Instead we fucked Karl around with that stupid Hail Mary halfback play and we've now somehow decided he's a lock while O'Neill who should've been playing reserve grade was getting fucked around because of Reynolds and BBO who's fucking hopeless.