Opinion Fraud frontrow

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thompson and Hethrington are where its at, at the moment they probably need equal angry interchange.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo to win the battle in the middle, they have to make more meters or/and stop the opp from making more grounds. Not an expert and dont read much stats but we seem to struggle to stop the opps in the middle. We dont seem to be well organised, first contacts have not been strong, opps seem to be able to make heaps of grounds post contact or offload. I think the coaching team should take some ownership for this.

As for the go forward, i think a big dominant middle man to start with one of our starting props can really change the dynamic of our pack a lot.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's our roster. Simple. We do not have 2 dedicated starting props. Most of our fwds are suited to the back row, and Hetho and Thomo are meant to be jn the back row. It's why we need 2 props at the club ASAP.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was always my concern with Thompson, we needed a genuine play one prop yet he was never this type of player. He's a great athlete and can do some damage but he needs to play off more dominant forwards to be at his best. Hetherington is the same mould but a far inferior player.

I'd be interested to see how Thompson would go on a edge, think he would offer far more running wide and using his pace and footwork as a strike player rather than having the responsibility of trying to carry us forward. Defensively he would probably get caught out though.
If we're paying Thompson over 800K I wonder if Gould will think about moving him on. He is a decent forward but for that much coin we should have someone with the impact of a Haas or Papali. Moeaki Fotuaika has more impact and would be way cheaper.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Disagree, thought both props were great today
We were on top at half time then lewis fucked it all yp

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Using Thompson on tackle one from a play the ball on our own 10m with the Souths defensive line set three times is criminal, absolute waste.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This was always my concern with Thompson, we needed a genuine play one prop yet he was never this type of player. He's a great athlete and can do some damage but he needs to play off more dominant forwards to be at his best. Hetherington is the same mould but a far inferior player.

I'd be interested to see how Thompson would go on a edge, think he would offer far more running wide and using his pace and footwork as a strike player rather than having the responsibility of trying to carry us forward. Defensively he would probably get caught out though.
A lot of it is Trents fault, you rarely see Nathan Brown taking the first hit up of a set at Parra because he will get smashed but his speed on the 3rd or 4th when the defense is a bit looser and he carves up. But we will continue to use him as a tackle 1 on our own 10m line lol

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People slating thompson are absolute idiots, bloke is making 100 plus metres a week in a shit pack, put some forwards around him to help out and he ll only get better, if hes at storm people talk of him as one of the best props in the world. We certainly dont need to get rid of our best prop and probably best player this year, believe it or not, when we play good teams, Thompson cant do it on his own, we need more and bigger forwards.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
People slating thompson are absolute idiots, bloke is making 100 plus metres a week in a shit pack, put some forwards around him to help out and he ll only get better, if hes at storm people talk of him as one of the best props in the world. We certainly dont need to get rid of our best prop and probably best player this year, believe it or not, when we play good teams, Thompson cant do it on his own, we need more and bigger forwards.
100 metres isn't good enough for a 750k prop. Seumanufagai almost made more in 30 minutes. I like Thompson but you can't gloat about 100 metres from a prop playing big minutes. We do need to partner Thompson with another quality prop, e.g. TPJ.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason it was only 100 is because we barely had the ball hahahah, hes averaging big metres each week in the worst pack with the worst 9 in the league, if people are genuinely criticising thompson you need to give your head a wobble, I can get Hetherington, deffo not thompson.
100 metres isn't good enough for a 750k prop. Seumanufagai almost made more in 30 minutes. I like Thompson but you can't gloat about 100 metres from a prop playing big minutes. We do need to partner Thompson with another quality prop, e.g. TPJ.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The reason it was only 100 is because we barely had the ball hahahah, hes averaging big metres each week in the worst pack with the worst 9 in the league, if people are genuinely criticising thompson you need to give your head a wobble, I can get Hetherington, deffo not thompson.
Yeah, well biggest reason why we lost the game today is because of our poor discipline with and without the ball. I was mainly talking about today (eye test) without looking at the stats in regards to Thompson but after looking at them he did okay and slightly lower than his average. ~56 minutes and ~136m is solid for the season.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good props are hard to come by right now, in a better pack, Thompson would be up there with the best.
Yeah, well biggest reason why we lost the game today is because of our poor discipline with and without the ball. I was mainly talking about today (eye test) without looking at the stats in regards to Thompson but after looking at them he did okay and slightly lower than his average. ~56 minutes and ~136m is solid for the season.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is certainly an issue. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Thomo and Hetho are dominated on their carries by big islanders. They never win the tackle....while in defence again the bigger bodies islanders stick their head through, dominate the tackle and get rewarded with quicker play the balls being awarded...which...if we try to slow down...we get 6 again awarded against us. It's been an issue all year. Avo gets dominated less. Our forward carries are around the 100 mtrs per game each at most, compared to others gaining regularly 150+mtrs each per game or more. Issue isn't just the dummy half or half service. That might account for say 25% of the lack of punch. The other 75% is on the front rowers.Baz looks absolutely non plused as to why this is.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Disagree, thought both props were great today
We were on top at half time then lewis fucked it all yp
You're only supporting my point, look who our props were at that stage.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Too simplistic.

57% to 43% possession split.
10 to 33 Missed Tackle split.
3 of the 6 agains were intentional off scrums.
2 of the 6 penalties were tackles that were put on report
We cant blame the refs every week, regardless of lopsided penalty counts. At some point we need to accept that are squad is incredibly ill disciplined. Most likely this is bread out of frustration because we are just so average in attack and defense, so we resort to slowing things down and being caught out trying to force opposition mistakes.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thompson pay packet is justified if he was still playing in the UK Superleague but unfortunately overall he hasn’t been the player I hoped him to be. He just seems a little too small and weak compared to other front line props …outside of Hopoate and Meaney I’m sick of watching him get pushed back each week

Would he be a better 13? I don’t know the answer

Hethrington has disappointed me too and always has a good first hit up of the game then goes missing (6 hit ups for 69m). I think he either converts into an edge backrower or consigned to the bench

We need at least 3 explosive forwards and metre eaters/run from the back fence players to be competitive next year

- Bunty is on the outer at the Warriors
- Vaughan cheap
- TPJ not cheap but we desperately need him

I thought Ava and Ogden really added more punch when they were out there and provided a solid platform

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thompson pay packet is justified if he was still playing in the UK Superleague but unfortunately overall he hasn’t been the player I hoped him to be. He just seems a little too small and weak compared to other front line props …outside of Hopoate and Meaney I’m sick of watching him get pushed back each week

Would he be a better 13? I don’t know the answer

Hethrington has disappointed me too and always has a good first hit up of the game then goes missing (6 hit ups for 69m). I think he either converts into an edge backrower or consigned to the bench

We need at least 3 explosive forwards and metre eaters/run from the back fence players to be competitive next year

- Bunty is on the outer at the Warriors
- Vaughan cheap
- TPJ not cheap but we desperately need him

I thought Ava and Ogden really added more punch when they were out there and provided a solid platform
Bunty re-signed didn't he?