News Folau case may send Rugby Australia broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The definition of Retard, when used as a verb is to refer to delay or hold back in terms of progress or development, or to be delayed.. However, evolution is about advantage..and making use of that advantage to progress.. I shake my head too..
When I'm on my flight sim just before land my plane always says retard retard

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
to be fair, I only said evolution was retarded because some people go out of their way in even the most unrelated threads to make derogatory comments about belief and how we're crazy to believe in a creator... it's pretty rare to see that in reverse...

people just think that belief in evolution is normal because it's the mainstream view, and they need self approval.. feel like they are part of the pack...

the two views aren't all that different really... both started with nothing... we just believe it was a conscious mind at work, atheists believe it was an accident

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
to be fair, I only said evolution was retarded because some people go out of their way in even the most unrelated threads to make derogatory comments about belief and how we're crazy to believe in a creator... it's pretty rare to see that in reverse...

people just think that belief in evolution is normal because it's the mainstream view, and they need self approval.. feel like they are part of the pack...

the two views aren't all that different really... both started with nothing... we just believe it was a conscious mind at work, atheists believe it was an accident
Difference being evidence. Evolution hypothesis started based on observation and developed into a theory based on further observation and attempts to prove the theory to be wrong.

That's the big difference with scientific theory. You come up with an idea based on what you observe then you try to prove that idea wrong. While attempting to prove it wrong if you instead keep finding more evidence that it's true then the hypothesis becomes a solid theory.

Religion is the opposite. There's an ancient believe which you believe regardless of evidence. Nothing wrong with that. There are people who try to prove God through evidence though but it generally never goes well as it's impossible to prove God to be true or false. It's called "Falsifiable". In science if something isn't falsifiable, meaning if something can't be tested to see if it's false, then it can never be a theory. Which is why God isn't ever going to be a scientific theory. He's just going to be something of faith.

While it's impossible to prove God, there are other aspects though. For example, biblical archaeology to prove that some of the things in the bible actually happened. Or testing miracles like weeping statues and stuff. While you can't prove God, you can at least test God related stuff.

Speaking of such, been watching a new show called "Evil". It's pretty good but it's very much like that. It's fiction but it's an entertaining show about a group testing miracles and prophecies in an attempt to prove them true or false.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
To quote Richard Feyman on scientific theory, "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong"

Or to quote Michael Faraday who was a little more poetic about it, "I keep my theories on the tips of my fingers so that the merest breath of fact can blow them away"

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Difference being evidence. Evolution hypothesis started based on observation and developed into a theory based on further observation and attempts to prove the theory to be wrong.

That's the big difference with scientific theory. You come up with an idea based on what you observe then you try to prove that idea wrong. While attempting to prove it wrong if you instead keep finding more evidence that it's true then the hypothesis becomes a solid theory.

Religion is the opposite. There's an ancient believe which you believe regardless of evidence. Nothing wrong with that. There are people who try to prove God through evidence though but it generally never goes well as it's impossible to prove God to be true or false. It's called "Falsifiable". In science if something isn't falsifiable, meaning if something can't be tested to see if it's false, then it can never be a theory. Which is why God isn't ever going to be a scientific theory. He's just going to be something of faith.

While it's impossible to prove God, there are other aspects though. For example, biblical archaeology to prove that some of the things in the bible actually happened. Or testing miracles like weeping statues and stuff. While you can't prove God, you can at least test God related stuff.

Speaking of such, been watching a new show called "Evil". It's pretty good but it's very much like that. It's fiction but it's an entertaining show about a group testing miracles and prophecies in an attempt to prove them true or false.

There is 0 legitimate evidence for the theory of evolution, that's the problem..

God says to put all things to the test.. and when you start researching modern physics for example, among other things, you see plenty of parallels that can be made to scripture... Scripture taught many things before man could have possibly discovered them.. I mean even today, the majority still believe in a physical reality, yet they will tell you with a certainty how everything came to be...

True... what's the whole idea behind that? is it made by believers?or just purely entertainment

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There is 0 legitimate evidence for the theory of evolution, that's the problem..

God says to put all things to the test.. and when you start researching modern physics for example, among other things, you see plenty of parallels that can be made to scripture... Scripture taught many things before man could have possibly discovered them.. I mean even today, the majority still believe in a physical reality, yet they will tell you with a certainty how everything came to be...

True... what's the whole idea behind that? is it made by believers?or just purely entertainment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

Plenty of evidence of evolution.

There's interesting debates over consciousness and the soul. For example, many believe that the duality of the mind (The belief that the brain and soul/consciousness are separate) isn't possible based on the evidence we've seen. That evidence mainly being that if you alter a person's brain you can turn a good, peaceful person into a complete psychopath and this has happened many time in the past due to brain damage.

But other argue that the brain is a switchboard which connects us to our consciousness. So when the brain gets damaged then it can't fully tap into the consciousness and things go wrong. But then you have to question what implications that has from a religious standpoint. If a Christian has brain damage then starts worshipping Satan purely because he had brain damage and not through his own choice, will he still go to hell?

I love the philosophy around the mind and religion. It's interesting stuff.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

There's interesting debates over consciousness and the soul. For example, many believe that the duality of the mind (The belief that the brain and soul/consciousness are separate) isn't possible based on the evidence we've seen. That evidence mainly being that if you alter a person's brain you can turn a good, peaceful person into a complete psychopath and this has happened many time in the past due to brain damage.

But other argue that the brain is a switchboard which connects us to our consciousness. So when the brain gets damaged then it can't fully tap into the consciousness and things go wrong. But then you have to question what implications that has from a religious standpoint. If a Christian has brain damage then starts worshipping Satan purely because he had brain damage and not through his own choice, will he still go to hell?

I did a course on the philosophy of religion and it was fascinating..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Have seen that... it's still not evidence of what we're talking about... there is no genuine proof of anything changing forms.. no genuine proof that a bird was ever not a bird... fish not a fish, etc.. You guys ask for proof of God, yet you can't produce legitimate evidence of bacteria forming into a functional universe.. you just use time as an out... you don't have to produce genuine evidence because of "time"... yet you can say with some certainty that we're wrong?

Well there is no such thing as Hell, so no I don't think so..... I believe that whatever was in his heart pre brain damage is what would determine the acceptance he receives from God... because at the end of the day, that's what real faith is... not our works, but what our hearts desire.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have seen that... it's still not evidence of what we're talking about... there is no genuine proof of anything changing forms.. no genuine proof that a bird was ever not a bird... fish not a fish, etc.. You guys ask for proof of God, yet you can't produce legitimate evidence of bacteria forming into a functional universe.. you just use time as an out... you don't have to produce genuine evidence because of "time"... yet you can say with some certainty that we're wrong?

Well there is no such thing as Hell, so no I don't think so..... I believe that whatever was in his heart pre brain damage is what would determine the acceptance he receives from God... because at the end of the day, that's what real faith is... not our works, but what our hearts desire.
There's plenty of evidence there. Genetic records, DNA sampling, genetic markers, fossil records. I think you're just discounting the evidence because you don't want to believe.

That's fine. You can believe whatever you want. But there's a massive amount of evidence there. It's not just guessing, it's not just using time as an out as you say. It's literal mountains of evidence.

I could go into an essay of explanation but it's simpler to use a video to explain it. Note that it's not just comparative analysis (animals look the same as..)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's also an interesting Ted talk on how religious men were the first to discover evolution. They just didn't realise that they discovered it.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of evidence there. Genetic records, DNA sampling, genetic markers, fossil records. I think you're just discounting the evidence because you don't want to believe.

That's fine. You can believe whatever you want. But there's a massive amount of evidence there. It's not just guessing, it's not just using time as an out as you say. It's literal mountains of evidence.

I could go into an essay of explanation but it's simpler to use a video to explain it. Note that it's not just comparative analysis (animals look the same as..)

I'm discounting the lack of evidence... Why would I want to believe something that there is no legitimate evidence to? Like I said, the scriptures say to put all things to the test.. I've learned about all these things you've sent me in different videos and articles but yet I am still waiting for something of real substance... you want genuine proof of God, we want genuine proof of evolution... I want to see something advance from one thing to another... but like I said.. birds will always be birds... roses will always be roses, grass, well, grass... nothing is evolving from what it is, nor will it.... and don't give me the whole "in millions of years" spiel... you can keep posting all the videos you like, but they are not meeting my criteria

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm discounting the lack of evidence... Why would I want to believe something that there is no legitimate evidence to? Like I said, the scriptures say to put all things to the test.. I've learned about all these things you've sent me in different videos and articles but yet I am still waiting for something of real substance... you want genuine proof of God, we want genuine proof of evolution... I want to see something advance from one thing to another... but like I said.. birds will always be birds... roses will always be roses, grass, well, grass... nothing is evolving from what it is, nor will it.... and don't give me the whole "in millions of years" spiel... you can keep posting all the videos you like, but they are not meeting my criteria
As I said. You can believe whatever you want. I provided solid evidence and you said it's not evidence. That's fine. You don't want to believe the evidence so you pretend it doesn't exist. Or maybe you don't understand it. I'm not judging. Let he with 15 PHDs throw the first theory of everything.

You are free to believe whatever you want.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, it's not entirely over. A gay rights activist has filed a homosexual vilification complaint against Folau. Probably won't go anywhere.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As I said. You can believe whatever you want. I provided solid evidence and you said it's not evidence. That's fine. You don't want to believe the evidence so you pretend it doesn't exist. Or maybe you don't understand it. I'm not judging. Let he with 15 PHDs throw the first theory of everything.

Hacky sometimes it doesn’t take a million years.. The Peppered Moth of England is an example of Darwin’s natural selection and it’s role in evolution

http://www.mothscount.org/text/63/peppered_moth_and_natural_selection.htm
l

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36424768

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hacky sometimes it doesn’t take a million years.. The Peppered Moth of England is an example of Darwin’s natural selection and it’s role in evolution

http://www.mothscount.org/text/63/peppered_moth_and_natural_selection.htm
l

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36424768
That's the interesting thing about evolution. You hear "evolution takes millions of years". That's a myth that was created by Hollywood. "Evolution normally takes millions of years but this creature did it in 24 hours"

Evolution actually only takes a few generations. Mutations happen constantly. Usually they're something tiny. Sometimes they're something bigger like humans being born with tails. If that mutation has a point (like the black moths in towns) then the ones with the mutation survive and within a few generations that mutation becomes common.

This is usually known as micro-evolution as it's evolutionary changes within a species. Another example of this is human skin colour mutation.

Apes generally have very light skin. When we lost our hair it had the added bonus that we could now sweat which allowed us to have more stamina than our prey. But it also meant we were more exposed to sun damage. This meant that those with light skin were more likely to die sooner. Those with darker skin were likely to live longer and breed more. So eventually we all ended up with dark skin in the harsh African environment.

When we left Africa we ended up in places like Europe where there's more clouds, more rain, less sun. This meant people with darker skin died sooner due to Vitamin D deficiency. So lighter skin people survived longer and white people emerged as the dominant people of Europe.

Now days we have ways to stop these problems and halt evolution, or at least, change it. Sun screen to protect our skin, medicines to make sure we live longer, and a better society that protects those with pointless mutations that would otherwise die out. And with the advancements in gene mapping and the invention of CRISPR we now have the ability to control our evolution.

It's an interesting time to be alive.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Now days we have ways to stop these problems and halt evolution, or at least, change it. Sun screen to protect our skin, medicines to make sure we live longer, and a better society that protects those with pointless mutations that would otherwise die out. And with the advancements in gene mapping and the invention of CRISPR we now have the ability to control our evolution.

It's an interesting time to be alive.
Brilliant point..never thought of that..superb..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

You even said yourself that you can't disprove God... but if evolution is proven, does it not disprove God?

All I asked was to see a bacteria accidentally create a functional universe... I'm not interested in "mutations" and "wolf pups having similar characteristics to dogs" or "over x amount of years, this could happen" I want the smoking gun

Status
Not open for further replies.