Flanagone....

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that is even remotely true. He played better at the Roosters and Nulla (even though Robinson was way too impatient with him.)

Our systems make players a lot worse than they are. We've seen it a million times.
Don’t disagree certainly no dogs player has improved in recent seasons. But in Flanagans case he has maxed out there is no upside. You don’t get flicked from 3 clubs for no reason.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta give it to Flanno this one classy exit. I really hope he shines at the Dragons.
@Flanagun

NRL 2023: Kyle Flanagan opens up on Bulldogs exit, signing with Dragons on two-year deal
Daily Telegraph
David Riccio
7th of August 2023

Kyle Flanagan has spoken out about his Bulldogs exit, revealing he is facing an uncertain future playing under his dad at the Red V and will need to earn the Dragons’ trust

Kyle Flanagan has broken his silence on signing with St George Illawarra to play under his father Shane by declaring he’s been “given no guarantees” on what position he’ll play.
After a turbulent three years at the Bulldogs that began as the club’s first-choice halfback before he was the subject of a career-changing move to hooker, Flanagan has signed a two-year deal with the Dragons from 2024.

He joins Shane for the first time since playing one game - his NRL debut - under him at the Sharks in 2018

In discussing his move, Flanagan said he held no hard feelings towards his time at the Bulldogs, adding that he had nothing but gratitude towards rookie head coach Cameron Ciraldo for identifying him as a talented dummy-half.

It was Ciraldo who made the call to shift Flanagan out of the halves in round 16 this year to hooker, where the NSW under-20s captain’s passing-game, vision as a half and trademark support-play greatly benefited.

“The talk of me joining Saints to play under Dad is an obvious one,’’ Flanagan said.

“I am looking forward to working with him to strive for a common goal. I want to help bring success to the Dragons and absolutely he does too.

“I’ve signed with the Dragons because an opportunity has emerged that otherwise may not have been around had I not been offered the shot to play hooker at Canterbury.

“I’ve got to thank Cameron Ciraldo for having trust in me to learn a new position and also, do it to the best of my ability.

“I’ve learnt so much about the game working under Ciro (Ciraldo) this year.

“That move he made opened up my eyes to playing a position that suits my natural ability and I’ve enjoyed it.

“I have a new string to my bow that may not have been realised and that‘s an option what I can do for St George-Illawarra now.

“Up until this year, I had never played a game of hooker in my life with my mate (from Cronulla) Blayke Brailey always holding down that spot.

“Any suggestion I’ve got a spot in the halves or at hooker, on the bench, whatever is off the mark.

“I don‘t know what 2024 looks like. I’m going to the Saints without any guarantee of a position and I’m up for that challenge.’’

Shane will take charge of a Red-V revival as the head coach of Saints for the next three years.

Flanagan has played 79 NRL games with the capable goalkicker scoring 326-points.

He declared that after stints at the Sharks, Roosters and Bulldogs, he would arrive at the Dragons without regrets, but instead layers of experience and learnings.

“I’m approaching my sixth season now as an NRL player and what I take from that is that with every season, I’ve gained a stack of experience as a person and a footy player,’’ Flanagan said.

“I’m turning 25 next week and I believe the next two years, with putting more work into my game, I can enjoy some of my most consistent years.

“Playing NRL isn’t easy, it’s challenges you everyday, but honestly, I’ve taken so much from every challenge that has come my way.

“From that, I ultimately believe that it will only strengthen me for the future.

“I would like to think my attitude towards playing the game is firstly, how much I love the game and secondly, committing to the team by always looking to improve.

“I’m a huge believer in putting in the hard work so that it pays me back.

“I haven’t yet reached my potential as a player and that’s why I’m always open to coach’s ideas and methods to improve as a player.

“With every club that I‘ve been at, I’ve taken parts of that club with me and so I’ll arrive at the Dragons with what I believe is a solid understanding of what is involved to create a successful environment.

“I’ve been at established clubs and rebuilding clubs, so there’s a whole heap of learnings I take from those seasons.

“I love being part of a team environment that likes to train hard and compete hard to win footy games. That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do.

“All I can do is pull on the Red V colours in November and start by earning the trust of my new teammates.”

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respect for an exit media release like that.
Also shows what the players actually think of CC.
Quoted as basically asserting CC saved his career as identifying his natural abilities were as a hooker and not a half and affording him the chance in that position.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gotta give it to Flanno this one classy exit. I really hope he shines at the Dragons.
@Flanagun

NRL 2023: Kyle Flanagan opens up on Bulldogs exit, signing with Dragons on two-year deal
Daily Telegraph
David Riccio
7th of August 2023

Kyle Flanagan has spoken out about his Bulldogs exit, revealing he is facing an uncertain future playing under his dad at the Red V and will need to earn the Dragons’ trust

Kyle Flanagan has broken his silence on signing with St George Illawarra to play under his father Shane by declaring he’s been “given no guarantees” on what position he’ll play.
After a turbulent three years at the Bulldogs that began as the club’s first-choice halfback before he was the subject of a career-changing move to hooker, Flanagan has signed a two-year deal with the Dragons from 2024.

He joins Shane for the first time since playing one game - his NRL debut - under him at the Sharks in 2018

In discussing his move, Flanagan said he held no hard feelings towards his time at the Bulldogs, adding that he had nothing but gratitude towards rookie head coach Cameron Ciraldo for identifying him as a talented dummy-half.

It was Ciraldo who made the call to shift Flanagan out of the halves in round 16 this year to hooker, where the NSW under-20s captain’s passing-game, vision as a half and trademark support-play greatly benefited.

“The talk of me joining Saints to play under Dad is an obvious one,’’ Flanagan said.

“I am looking forward to working with him to strive for a common goal. I want to help bring success to the Dragons and absolutely he does too.

“I’ve signed with the Dragons because an opportunity has emerged that otherwise may not have been around had I not been offered the shot to play hooker at Canterbury.

“I’ve got to thank Cameron Ciraldo for having trust in me to learn a new position and also, do it to the best of my ability.

“That move he made opened up my eyes to playing a position that suits my natural ability and I’ve enjoyed it.

“I have a new string to my bow that may not have been realised and that‘s an option what I can do for St George-Illawarra now.

“Up until this year, I had never played a game of hooker in my life with my mate (from Cronulla) Blayke Brailey always holding down that spot.

“Any suggestion I’ve got a spot in the halves or at hooker, on the bench, whatever is off the mark.

“I don‘t know what 2024 looks like. I’m going to the Saints without any guarantee of a position and I’m up for that challenge.’’

Shane will take charge of a Red-V revival as the head coach of Saints for the next three years.

Flanagan has played 79 NRL games with the capable goalkicker scoring 326-points.

He declared that after stints at the Sharks, Roosters and Bulldogs, he would arrive at the Dragons without regrets, but instead layers of experience and learnings.

“I’m approaching my sixth season now as an NRL player and what I take from that is that with every season, I’ve gained a stack of experience as a person and a footy player,’’ Flanagan said.

“I’m turning 25 next week and I believe the next two years, with putting more work into my game, I can enjoy some of my most consistent years.

“Playing NRL isn’t easy, it’s challenges you everyday, but honestly, I’ve taken so much from every challenge that has come my way.

“From that, I ultimately believe that it will only strengthen me for the future.

“I would like to think my attitude towards playing the game is firstly, how much I love the game and secondly, committing to the team by always looking to improve.

“I haven’t yet reached my potential as a player and that’s why I’m always open to coach’s ideas and methods to improve as a player.

“With every club that I‘ve been at, I’ve taken parts of that club with me and so I’ll arrive at the Dragons with what I believe is a solid understanding of what is involved to create a successful environment.

“I’ve been at established clubs and rebuilding clubs, so there’s a whole heap of learnings I take from those seasons.

“I love being part of a team environment that likes to train hard and compete hard to win footy games. That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do.

“All I can do is pull on the Red V colours in November and start by earning the trust of my new teammates.”
Praising Ciro

Another L for @Flanagun

When you changing name to Waddles now that Flanno is gone from Belmore forever ?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
‘The Poaching’ :tearsofjoy:.
What are we talking - eggs??
He was never going to be re-signed at Belmore.

A decent fella, have spoken to him a couple of times and wish him all the best, but he was a poor Dogs recruit among several from Barrett. Time to move on.
Willie Poaching

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Praising Ciro

Another L for @Flanagun

When you changing name to Waddles now that Flanno is gone from Belmore forever ?
The guy blamed no one for his departure..did not slag off at the club..did not blame hard training ..copped it on the chin. That’s pretty refreshing considering what has been going on lately. IMHO that’s pretty admirable.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back I did a bit of Uber driving on the side and picked up a couple of suits who were talking NRL while on the way to a meeting.

One was a Sharks supporter and I joined in the conversation by saying I hear you've lost Flanagan to the Roosters. His immediate response was.

"Great, they can have him!"

Never forgot that and while I give Flano credit playing in the Blue and White, we can and should've done better.

All the best at the Dragons.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Effort was never an issue with him. But I think having a head coach for your father helped him get through the grades a bit easier where the instincts weren't quite what was needed of a 7. Good luck to him at the dragqueens.
Yep the only reason he’ll be playing FG next year is because his old man finally got a coaching job.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Flanagun

Daily Telegraph
David Riccio
7th of August 2023

Better get a welfare check on @Flanagun, his boy just gave our coach a massive wrap with absolutely no need or reason too. So who’s the next player you’re going to champion? and make yourself look like a fucking idiot, yet again.

Last edited:

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Glad he has found a position that suits him. Couldn’t knock his effort especially defensively.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly not the greatest to play for us but he always had a dig and had a good attitude and manner about him. Classy departure by the sounds. He’ll love playing alongside his dad and his dad with him. Best wishes Kyle!

Bad Trades

Waterboy
Reaction score
well if Robinson couldn't get much out of him when he was at the roosters than I doubt his dad will
Robinson couldn’t get much out of Sean O’Sullivan either. He finished up as understudy for Cleary and was successful, before signing as first choice halfback at Dolphins.