News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Name me one well regarded coach who you think would sign a player who has just been released a year into his contract and heap undue pressure on him by comparing him to the best half in the game? Just one. You can't. Top coaches don't operate that way. Expressing belief in a young player is one thing....comparing him to arguably the best player in the game before he has done anything to warrant that comparison is another. It's usually the media who goes in for that sort oif nonsense. Good coiaches try to express belief in young players, while also keeping them grounded. I hope Barrett learns from his handling of Flanagan, because he made a mess of it.
Haha well In that regard what do you say to Bellamy taking players in who have been shit ? Well there you go .. there’s heaps. He believed in him and unfortunately it isn’t time to fuck around so he had his chance , you don’t know what goes on around the scenes by all means he sounds delusional at his performances probably cause he’s enabled by his dad. He got another shot and bombed it so I think baz done the right thing considering it’s high pressure on his second contract with a new club in his first year there and if the half hasn’t performed then rightfully he gets dropped. Cus damato used to tell Tyson how good he was every day even though Tyson didn’t believe in himself then eventually he did cause he would praise him, but I bet you wouldn’t even have any rep or sporting experience to justify your claims. Bench half at best you are❤

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not every player u sign will end up worth it. At the time we desperately needed halves and Flanagan had shown potential at times. Also not exactly a flood of halves were available to get at the time either.

Cotric hasn't done much this year but we all know he's a very good player. He's just not getting any good service. The side is making a few players who aren't bad look bad imo. Flanagan though, I think roosters made him look better than he is.

Waddell will end up being fine imo.
Sorry I do not totally agree with you. Let’s look at another scenario like Manly. They were at the bottom of the ladder until Tom returned! A good player will shine no matter what. A good player can lift the whole team! Players like Cotric and Allen are not improving or showing consistency (actually no one has shown real improvement) and imo it’s the coaching staff that need to be assessed. This is where I am excited Gus comes into it!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This deal makes sense. He goes to super league, a transfer fee is paid, comes off our salary cap, we move forward
Who would pay a transfer fee & all of his contract. There will be no transfer fee & we will have to cop the $1-200k in our cap per year.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way he isn’t good even for depth. Confidence is shot and I think all the stuff that has gone on recently has gone really sour and I can only see his form getting worse. He needs to pack his bags and leave, it’ll be best for everyone involved. The kid just doesn’t have it, confidence or not I just don’t rate him and never will

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly...it's good tyo see someone on here understands my basic point. He could have an attitude problem.....but without having access to the club's inner sanctum, we can't know that....we certainly can't just assume it to explain the way he has been mismanaged. And the reality is, the mismanagement started before he had even completed his first training session with us.
Maybe he is like Jack Silvagni at Carlton. He came to the club with a big name & then began telling the coaches how the team was going to play.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why just super league, surely someone in the NRL might be silly enough to think they can make it work, give Ricky Stuart a call.

And people are seriously saying to re-sign Lewis. You haven't learnt from Lichaa and others in their contract year. He had one decent game and cost us the second one but he's a hero becuase he tackled Walker from behind. He would stifle Burtons' game big time trying to do all the kicking. He's another one that should head over the super league.
Hey I've got an idea. Why doesn't the club ring Ricky & see if we can swap Flanagan & JMK for Wighton & Hodgson. Then if they don't want to do it & it leaks out in the media we can deny it ever happened.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The greatest man manager to ever grace any sport, Sir Alex Ferguson, said that Phil Jones was the best young player he had ever seen and he was just as great as Duncan Edwards. In case you're note aware of football, that would have been the equivalent of saying Jarrod Mullen (when he was 20) is a mix of Andrew Johns, Jonathan Thurston, and Cooper Cronk. Phil Jones never ever reached the heights expected of him, some say it was down to injuries, others say he was never that good and that Sir Alex showed he was human and somethings he just got drastically wrong.
Exactly....he made a mistake....even the best do this from time to time....when it comes to Barrett's mismanagement of Flanagan we are talking a number of mistakes in a very short space of time. I don't know much about Alex Furuson, apart from the fact he had a glamour club to manage and a blank cheque book at his disposal. I know even less about Phil Jones.....but I would guess he was not already dealing with major confidence issues after being released from a glamour club the previous season. Low confidence in athletes (or anyone) is a funny thing. Yes, people need support and a little belief to get through a crisis of confidence, but pumping the tyres up too much can have the exact opposite to the intended effect and ultimately only increase the pressure. I'm not saying that's the sole reason Flanagan has struggled. It clearly is not.....but it put him nehind the 8 ball from the start by placing unnecessary expectations on his shoulders.

Barrett is a relatively inexperienced coach. He's allowed to make mistakes. I'm not calling for his head. My only hope is he will learn from them and not repeat them in the future, because they have made our club look pretty bad, IMO. Hopefully now Gould is at the club, this sort of crap won't happen.

First let's break down Barretts comments about comparing Kyle to Cleary.

1. It was at the start of the season and Kyle had just come off essentially being sacked by the roosters. So Barrett had a player down on confidence.
2. Cleary reached greater heights during this season, so to say Barrett was comparing Kyle to the best halfback in the game is a bit unfair.

Aside from that one pre-season comment, you don't know the inner sanctum of the club, so I'm sure you're glossing over all the support, mentoring, coaching that was going on behind the scenes. I'm sure you're also glossing over the fact that Barret wouldn't have sprung being dropped on game day, that this would have been discussed all week leading up to the game.

The way Barrett treated him DURING the season, is no different to how any professional footballer is treated. Remember Dymock dropped Josh Morris, to reserves, Robertson this week dropped Josh Morris to reserves, etc

Players get given chances to cement their spot, they either take them or get dropped. End of.
Cleary had well and truly cemented himself as the best half in the game before the start of this season. He proved that in 2020. There's a big difference between ytrying to build a young player's confidence and placing unnecessary pressure on his shoulders by comparing him to one of the game's best players. It wasn't the right approach. It wasn't a smart approach. I think his recent stunt of naming Flanagan and not playing him was even worse. Of course Barrett would have told him before the day. I'm not disputing that. It still sends a terrible message to the kid. How do yuou think he felt watching barrett front the media and talk about his belief in him, knowing full well his words weren't true? Did he really need the added media scrutiny if he wasn't playing? What was the purpose of this brilliant piece of misdirection? Do you really think it threw the Roosters off their game? Pfft. Of course not. They were going into the contest a bit off their game already, the only thing it achieved in all likelihood was to make Flanagan feel like kaka. Barrett needs to just focus on continuing to build and improive the team before he starts worrying about trying to throw opposition teams off with media misdirection....and he certainly shouldn't use that tactic at the expense of the self confidence of a player who is already lacking in that department.

I think he has really done a poor job of managing Flanagan and nothing you, or anyone else can say will change my mind on that.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we pay a portion of his salary does that come out of our cap being a super league team he is going to or does it come out of pokies revenue?
I thought if he leaves NRL then we don’t pay anything under the cap seeing as nrl doesn’t run or register ESL contracts.

Godsend if he leaves. But if Lewis gets an extension I’d rather he stays. If he bulks up a little, all he really has to do is defence and pass, and maybe occasionally run. Where as Lewis is a reserve grader out and out who can fill in when needed. If he runs out in the 7 jersey he should be charged with fraud.
Any money paid out by the club to a player whether they are in the NRL or another competition comes out of the salary cap.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We know he has potential but confidence is psychological everyone who is down on confidence won’t play freely and I stand by that. He didn’t get signed by the roosters for no reason .
I agree. You can’t teach people confidence either. As the halfback he needs to direct plays and have no self doubt.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I haven't... he put a ridiculous amount of pressure on a player who just got released from another club. I think signing him was a mistake too...but once the decision was made to sign him, he should have been managed better. I really don't get how people can defend barrett over some of the huge mistakes he has made in managing a young talent whose game still needs so much development.
Some people just dont get it...Barrett made a mistake signing Barrett..full stop...and he pumped up Flanagans tyres big time comparing him to Cleary which was just stupid

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe he is like Jack Silvagni at Carlton. He came to the club with a big name & then began telling the coaches how the team was going to play.
Could be....but it's all speculation....and I think if his attitude had been that bad, he'd have been dropped sooner, personally.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lol can someone translate
‘We’ve got Stimson for one more year and he hasn’t done anything’

That’s my best attempt but I’m not fluent in Dave :-).

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly....he made a mistake....even the best do this from time to time....when it comes to Barrett's mismanagement of Flanagan we are talking a number of mistakes in a very short space of time. I don't know much about Alex Furuson, apart from the fact he had a glamour club to manage and a blank cheque book at his disposal. I know even less about Phil Jones.....but I would guess he was not already dealing with major confidence issues after being released from a glamour club the previous season. Low confidence in athletes (or anyone) is a funny thing. Yes, people need support and a little belief to get through a crisis of confidence, but pumping the tyres up too much can have the exact opposite to the intended effect and ultimately only increase the pressure. I'm not saying that's the sole reason Flanagan has struggled. It clearly is not.....but it put him nehind the 8 ball from the start by placing unnecessary expectations on his shoulders.

Barrett is a relatively inexperienced coach. He's allowed to make mistakes. I'm not calling for his head. My only hope is he will learn from them and not repeat them in the future, because they have made our club look pretty bad, IMO. Hopefully now Gould is at the club, this sort of crap won't happen.

Cleary had well and truly cemented himself as the best half in the game before the start of this season. He proved that in 2020. There's a big difference between ytrying to build a young player's confidence and placing unnecessary pressure on his shoulders by comparing him to one of the game's best players. It wasn't the right approach. It wasn't a smart approach. I think his recent stunt of naming Flanagan and not playing him was even worse. Of course Barrett would have told him before the day. I'm not disputing that. It still sends a terrible message to the kid. How do yuou think he felt watching barrett front the media and talk about his belief in him, knowing full well his words weren't true? Did he really need the added media scrutiny if he wasn't playing? What was the purpose of this brilliant piece of misdirection? Do you really think it threw the Roosters off their game? Pfft. Of course not. They were going into the contest a bit off their game already, the only thing it achieved in all likelihood was to make Flanagan feel like kaka. Barrett needs to just focus on continuing to build and improive the team before he starts worrying about trying to throw opposition teams off with media misdirection....and he certainly shouldn't use that tactic at the expense of the self confidence of a player who is already lacking in that department.

I think he has really done a poor job of managing Flanagan and nothing you, or anyone else can say will change my mind on that.

Actually you had a very young player be transferred from Blackburn to United, who very much could have been overawed by the sheer size of United. Very few players cope well with the pressures of playing for United. Ferguson had no right to pump Jones' tires but in any case a manager backs his decision and says that he has faith in his recruits. Its a "well derrrrrrrrrrrr" statement, a nothing statement and you're overblowing that statement.

Here is Barretts statement word for word

“There is some similarity between Nathan Cleary and Kyle Flanagan,” he told Sky Sports Radio. “Kyle will have his hands on the ball a lot as did Nathan."

And how Flanagan responded to said backing

"Knowing that I am the long-term halfback here gives me a lot of confidence," Flanagan said. "I can really build my game here, I don't have to go out there and do the try assists and score tries straightaway. Talking to Baz and everyone at the club I really know that they want to build a team around me."

"I don't feel like I am under any pressure here at all. I just want to continue to build my game, keep getting better each week. Baz has been really been clear that I just have to do my role and play a seven-out-of-10 each week."

That hardly sounds like a player under pressure to perform. That sounds like a player who's happy he's got his coaches backing and that the expectations are realistic.

More importantly this comparison to Cleary you're harping on about, is a nothing comparison. If that line puts pressure on Flanagan HAHAHAHAHAHAH c'mon you can't be serious.

As for the rest of it, no, I would see it as Barrett giving Kyle more than enough to prove himself and lead the team. At the start of the season Kyle was head and shoulders above every other half at the club, the other halves were made to feel like shit and prove themselves.

Guess what happened? The other halves (without the same backing) proved themselves more than Kyle. Kyle was given chance after chance after chance and failed.

It's all on Kyle, end of!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Being offered to clubs is still a way off actually going so I still think it’s likely he will be here next year. The big money in the Super League is long gone and I doubt he will get much more than at the Dogs.

If I was Kyle I’d stay at the Dogs he has the security of another 2 years and you’d back yourself to get back in form and get the halfback spot when it’s wide open which is rare in first grade side either here or in England. In saying that I hope he goes but I don’t think it’s a certainty at all.
He wouldn't be going there for the money, he would be going there for a fg opportunity.
As for sticking it out here, hecant even make our fg squad right now, how do you expect him to make it next year once Burton arrives? We also have BBO showing some serious signs of being a future half at our club. So he is no chance in fg next year. Better off chasing a fg spot in the uk, while the uk club pays barely half his salary.