News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me it depends how much he is on/what we are going to pay for him to play elsewhere. If we have to pay 200/250 to pay him to play elsewhere over 2 years it's stupid. Keep him for another season then he will more than likely ask for a full release from his contract in 23 and off our books if he can secure a long term deal elsewhere, similar to how we got Thompson from ESL

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He clearly has areas of his game he needs to work on, but the club needs to ask some questions too....why did Barrett look to him to provide answers if he wasn't the right option? Why did Barrett draw comparisons between Kyle and nathan Cleary and then make himself and kyle look foolish by having to drop him? Why did Trent openly tell media he still believed in Kyle and publicly back him to do the job for us when he never intended on playing him? He isn't really the solution for us, but Trent's handling of him has been terrible.
I tell you why and how it all unfolded...
We are desperate for a good halfback.
Kyle had a reasonable season for a half taking over from Cronk.
There was a rumour that his father's influence and interference was part of the issues.
TBaz did everything to make him feel comfortable and re boost his confidence.
Comparing him to Cleary would have been part of the confidence building process
Prior to being hooked off against St George he was nearly dropped 2 weeks in the row and he knows it.
It's all possible...but Kyle needs to fix Kyle !!!

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why just super league, surely someone in the NRL might be silly enough to think they can make it work, give Ricky Stuart a call.

And people are seriously saying to re-sign Lewis. You haven't learnt from Lichaa and others in their contract year. He had one decent game and cost us the second one but he's a hero becuase he tackled Walker from behind. He would stifle Burtons' game big time trying to do all the kicking. He's another one that should head over the super league.
We could be trying to avoid the freight with a move to Super League?

Couldn’t agree more with Lewis re-signing the deadwood is sure fire way of continuing the rot and not moving forward. I understand why they had to re-sign JMK but I’m still disappointed we re-signed him for this same reason.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need a half who is a right foot kicker in general play. Burton and Lewis I'm not sure is a good balance. Still not convinced Averillo is the answer but is still a bit raw. Give him time.

Maloney could be the one to steer the side around and let Burton be a running half. Maloney's experience would be priceless for one year and then sign him as our halves coach and mentor.
Or we could ship one of either Elliot, Waddell, Stimson out to Raiders for Josh Hodgson and have a creative Dummy Half with a decent kick game :p

I really hope we are looking at JH and get into his managers ear. He has been treated very poorly and the raiders seem like a sinking ship (like all of stickies other teams after a few season).

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need a half who is a right foot kicker in general play. Burton and Lewis I'm not sure is a good balance. Still not convinced Averillo is the answer but is still a bit raw. Give him time.

Maloney could be the one to steer the side around and let Burton be a running half. Maloney's experience would be priceless for one year and then sign him as our halves coach and mentor.
Well it won't be Lewis so no worries there..also share your concerns on Avo though.
Flanno has not done nearly enough and is behind them all and now it looks like it's been determined there is no way back..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Or....on the other hand it might be the making of him as a man and possibly player too.
Wish I had of gone to the UK as a young bloke, to be able to do so and make very decent coin in the process, there far worse things to do for a few years of your life imo.Meet a woman over there too etc etc and being far away from the intense spotlight.
Obviously good for us and him too if it happened.
I agree that might be best for him but it depends on whether he's comfortable with that or not. It's more of a factor with him than with other players considering how much he was struggling mentally.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly how he should look at it but I don't think he is humble enough. Growing up being told he is king shit and playing on all those rep teams and getting his first grade crack because of his dad has finally caught up to him.

Make no mistake he has the talent, but this is clearly an attitude thing. It's why Sharks were happy to let him go and why the Roosters dropped him after barely a year.
I think it's more a lack of talent than attitude. He clearly thinks he's better than what he is but he isn't talented in the first place. Lacks all the fundamentals required for a HB, no vision, no running game, poor kicking, poor passing.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Flanno needs to shit or get up off the pot. Some pressure could be alleviated if he just DIGS INTO THE FKN LINE ! Have a go ya fuckin sook I mean seriously this is rugby league ffs

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly...it's good tyo see someone on here understands my basic point. He could have an attitude problem.....but without having access to the club's inner sanctum, we can't know that....we certainly can't just assume it to explain the way he has been mismanaged. And the reality is, the mismanagement started before he had even completed his first training session with us.
So it's ok for you to trot out the line of "not knowing the inner sanctum" to protect Kyle but that point becomes mute when you criticize Barrett based on a whole ONE public comment to boost faith in Kyle?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will mature as a man. We all grow and learn from our younger thoughts and think how the hell was I like that? Sometimes losing is the best thing to happen to you
I worked in London for 18 months when I was in my 20's. Working in another country broadens your life experiences and when I came back home the first thing my father noticed was how much more mature I was, as I had to stand on my own 2 feet with my only support network being my workmates. My boss in particular was an awesome bloke and he was undoubtedly the best boss of my career.

The other benefit for Kyle would be getting away from his father, who undoubtedly pulls the strings.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
So it's ok for you to trot out the line of "not knowing the inner sanctum" to protect Kyle but that point becomes mute when you criticize Barrett based on a whole ONE public comment to boost faith in Kyle?
I don't need to be part of any inner sanctum to know drawing any sort of comparison between Flanagan and Cleary to "build confidence" was a terrible idea. name me one elite coach who has employed a similar tactic.....just one. Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson would never do that. It was a straight up amateur hour move.

I also don't need to be in the inner sanctum to know that allowing Flanagan to front a presser right after getting hooked at half time in front of his Dad was a bad idea, no matter how keen he was to do it.

Nor do I need inside information to conclude that naming him in the team, issuing public comments of support and belief in him to the media despite never intending to play him was a pointless stunt which achieved nothing, unless the goal was to dent his coinfidence further and to expose him unnecessarily to further media scrutiny.

Inner sanctum access isn't necesary to understand any of bthese basic truths. All that's needed is a little common sense.

It's not about protecting anyone....it's about expecting any young player who comes to our club to be given the best possible support and opportunities to be successful.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't need to be part of any inner sanctum to know drawing any sort of comparison between Flanagan and Cleary to "build confidence" was a terrible idea. name me one elite coach who has employed a similar tactic.....just one. Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson would never do that. It was a straight up amateur hour move.
The greatest man manager to ever grace any sport, Sir Alex Ferguson, said that Phil Jones was the best young player he had ever seen and he was just as great as Duncan Edwards. In case you're note aware of football, that would have been the equivalent of saying Jarrod Mullen (when he was 20) is a mix of Andrew Johns, Jonathan Thurston, and Cooper Cronk. Phil Jones never ever reached the heights expected of him, some say it was down to injuries, others say he was never that good and that Sir Alex showed he was human and somethings he just got drastically wrong.

I also don't need to be in the inner sanctum to know that allowing Flanagan to front a presser right after getting hooked at half time in front of his Dad was a bad idea, no matter how keen he was to do it.

Nor do I need inside information to conclude that naming him in the team, issuing public comments of support and belief in him to the media despite never intending to play him was a pointless stunt which achieved nothing, unless the goal was to dent his coinfidence further and to expose him unnecessarily to further media scrutiny.

Inner sanctum access isn't necesary to understand any of bthese basic truths. All that's needed is a little common sense.

It's not about protecting anyone....it's about expecting any young player who comes to our club to be given the best possible support and opportunities to be successful.
First let's break down Barretts comments about comparing Kyle to Cleary.

1. It was at the start of the season and Kyle had just come off essentially being sacked by the roosters. So Barrett had a player down on confidence.
2. Cleary reached greater heights during this season, so to say Barrett was comparing Kyle to the best halfback in the game is a bit unfair.

Aside from that one pre-season comment, you don't know the inner sanctum of the club, so I'm sure you're glossing over all the support, mentoring, coaching that was going on behind the scenes. I'm sure you're also glossing over the fact that Barret wouldn't have sprung being dropped on game day, that this would have been discussed all week leading up to the game.

The way Barrett treated him DURING the season, is no different to how any professional footballer is treated. Remember Dymock dropped Josh Morris, to reserves, Robertson this week dropped Josh Morris to reserves, etc

Players get given chances to cement their spot, they either take them or get dropped. End of.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Once regarded as one of the world's brightest prospects" by who?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One factor to consider is that he seems really close to his Dad and his family so he might not want to move to the other side of the world and be away from them, especially when he's relatively young.
You are right, but doing that might be the making of him too.